Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2021, 05:25 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aperture priority mode for lenses without contacts is pretty great

Tried this out today with an M lens. I had my K1000 and K3iii with me, a 28mm 3.5 on the K1000. When I swapped lenses I realized I hadn't set this up yet. After figuring out how to turn on the K3iii goodness, this works so well! It literally just works in A mode, great exposures each time.

---------- Post added 10-03-21 at 08:27 PM ----------

Took this with aperture priority mode, really neat that it just works.

10-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
This is a new feature in Pentax DSLR line. See K-3 lll user manual.
10-04-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
After figuring out how to turn on the K3iii goodness, this works so well!
Yes, 2 significant changes were introduced in the K3 III for using K and M lenses in Av mode.

1. Metering is still "stop-down" , just like the green button method, but it is now automated. It takes place when you press the shutter button, just before the shot is actually taken. Do you notice any lag ?

2. The lens is stopped down during capture.
10-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

... would be a fine feature on my K-1 ... just give it to us Ricoh!

10-04-2021, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Tried this out today with an M lens. I had my K1000 and K3iii with me, a 28mm 3.5 on the K1000. When I swapped lenses I realized I hadn't set this up yet. After figuring out how to turn on the K3iii goodness, this works so well! It literally just works in A mode, great exposures each time.

I'm very impressed with this convenience
Not only does it work in Av mode, but it'll work as well in TAv mode, so you've got control of shutter speed as well.
If you want/need the correct aperture to show up in the EXIF you've got to remember to dial the numbers in manually and have the camera configured to enable this (yet more options!)
10-04-2021, 05:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'm very impressed with this convenience
Not only does it work in Av mode, but it'll work as well in TAv mode, so you've got control of shutter speed as well.
If you want/need the correct aperture to show up in the EXIF you've got to remember to dial the numbers in manually and have the camera configured to enable this (yet more options!)
Ah cool about TAv mode! I'm pretty ok with not recording the aperture, I'm ok with it recording no info, but good to know it's there if I want it for some specific work.
10-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabz Quote
This is a new feature in Pentax DSLR line. See K-3 lll user manual.
Where in the manual?

10-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Where in the manual?
p118 under Using the Aperture Ring as with a lot of the information in the manual, it's well hidden and needs a little bit of "reading between the lines" to realise exactly what is being described
Enjoy, it's a really useful feature (if you've got a bunch of old K-mount lenses).
10-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
p118 under Using the Aperture Ring as with a lot of the information in the manual, it's well hidden and needs a little bit of "reading between the lines" to realise exactly what is being described
Enjoy, it's a really useful feature (if you've got a bunch of old K-mount lenses).
Well, that sets a new high in Pentax obsfurcation. You'd think they'd make a bigger deal of it.

Now, which lens to seek out ...? I think I should own at least one K or M lens. It would be nice if the K1 could do this trick too.
10-04-2021, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that sets a new high in Pentax obsfurcation. You'd think they'd make a bigger deal of it.

Now, which lens to seek out ...? I think I should own at least one K or M lens. It would be nice if the K1 could do this trick too.
They made a huge deal out of this in all the materials they released leading up to the release of the camera.
10-04-2021, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
They made a huge deal out of this in all the materials they released leading up to the release of the camera.
Yeah I gave it a shot in the field because I remember hearing about it during the product launch.
10-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #12

Where in the manual?
On page 118 in English version.