Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #1

K-3 III image sync bluetooth woes [Solved - Samsung settings issue]

Hi folks, I am having problems with bluetooth and my K-3 III.
I have the latest version of Image Sync on my Samsung S11 (latest Android update) and latest firmware on the camera.

I successfully paired the camera to the phone using Bluetooth.I had "Automatic Bluetooth Connection" enabled in the settings of image sync. I tested that it was storing the GPS data for photos and it was.

Turned off the camera and an hour later went back to it. I went back to image sync on the phone and turned on the camera. The phone and the camera will no longer connect using Bluetooth.

Turned phone on and off again, nothing. Turned camera off and on again, nothing.

So, deleted the pairing information on both devices and then went through the pairing procedure again - which worked.

Tested it and everything was fine.

Turned the camera and image sync off again. Went back to image sync, gave it a minute or two then turned on the camera. Again, no connection between the camera and the phone would establish. This time after about 3 minutes of attempting to connect, image sync asked if I wanted to try and pair the devices again.

Any clue from anybody what is going on? Samsung is notorious for disabling app functions for battery saving reasons, so will investigate that - meanwhile any help gratefully received

Last edited by TheLastMan; 10-11-2021 at 02:18 PM.
10-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you set the "Background location information transmission" duration in ImageSync? I have it set to 6 hours.
10-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Have you set the "Background location information transmission" duration in ImageSync? I have it set to 6 hours.
No, not sure how that makes a difference if the two devices won't communicate in the first place, but have now set it for 6 hours and will see what happens. Having no joy with the Samsung settings.

---------- Post added 10-11-21 at 09:14 PM ----------

OK, so tried it with my iPad and it all works fine, reconnects no problem and GPS data is tagged on all photos. So it is, as I suspected, a Samsung phone problem. I have an old iPhone 8 somewhere. I will re-activate that, and use it as my Image Sync / GPS device. No need for a SIM card as won't be using it for calls, just BT and WiFi. Actually it makes a lot of sense as that will free up the Samsung for all its main communication duties.
10-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheLastMan Quote
No, not sure how that makes a difference if the two devices won't communicate in the first place, but have now set it for 6 hours and will see what happens. Having no joy with the Samsung settings.[COLOR="Silver"]
You said it paired and transmitted GPS information, but then "turned off the camera and an hour later went back to it" and it was no longer paired. Hence my point about setting duration.

I have an LG phone, which should be pretty similar to the Samsung. Have you checked that ImageSync is not restricted on the Samsung? If it is, it will drop out when sleeping. I believe on some Samsung phones you need to explicitly set "Apps not optimised" to include ImageSync.

10-11-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You said it paired and transmitted GPS information, but then "turned off the camera and an hour later went back to it" and it was no longer paired. Hence my point about setting duration.

I have an LG phone, which should be pretty similar to the Samsung. Have you checked that ImageSync is not restricted on the Samsung? If it is, it will drop out when sleeping. I believe on some Samsung phones you need to explicitly set "Apps not optimised" to include ImageSync.
Thanks! Took some digging around in the menus, Samsung really did not want me to find this!
Settings - Apps - Image Sync - [scroll down] Battery - Optimise battery usage
Item at the top labelled "Apps not optimised" with arrow indicating drop down menu, select "All", lists every single app in the phone including all Android processes. Scroll down for ages to Image Sync and move the slider to disable battery optimisation. Phew!

De-optimising fixed the problem and it now reconnects automatically and happily labels all photos with GPS location data.

So beware using a Samsung phone with Image Sync folks, if you want to take advantage of the GPS tagging function.

I have found the old I phone and I still think I will try using that. It will be useful to have a dedicated mobile device to go with the camera. I can keep it in the camera bag as part of my kit
10-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks. Had the same problem.
10-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Item at the top labelled "Apps not optimised" with arrow indicating drop down menu, select "All", lists every single app in the phone including all Android processes. Scroll down for ages to Image Sync and move the slider to disable battery optimisation. Phew!
My Samsung phone (A71) works fine without changing the battery optimisation, but in the app settings the slider for "Allow background activity" is set. I just have to remember to start the app before I begin taking photos, after which it will connect to the camera and GPS location is recorded.

10-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #8

De-optimising fixed the problem and it now reconnects automatically and happily labels all photos with GPS location data.
Yes indeed - had the same problem with my Samsung S20+. Works like a charm after disabling the battery "optimisation" - thank you very much!
10-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #9

Thanks! Took some digging around in the menus, Samsung really did not want me to find this!

So beware using a Samsung phone with Image Sync folks, if you want to take advantage of the GPS tagging function.

I have found the old I phone and I still think I will try using that. It will be useful to have a dedicated mobile device to go with the camera. I can keep it in the camera bag as part of my kit
This might be a general Android issue. I'm having problems with a Pixel 4a phone, and I've just turned off battery optimisation for the Image app. I'll try again with some test shots maybe later today - if it stops raining!

And thanks for the details on how to change it. You are right, it's very wll hidden.
10-28-2021, 03:26 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by fifescapes Quote
This might be a general Android issue. I'm having problems with a Pixel 4a phone, and I've just turned off battery optimisation for the Image app. I'll try again with some test shots maybe later today - if it stops raining!

And thanks for the details on how to change it. You are right, it's very well hidden.
OK after updating the firmware, deleting & reinstalling the app and re-pairing the phone and camera it seems to work properly. This is based on a very short walk as the weather is dreich to say the least.
10-31-2021, 03:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User tomcook did write an Image Sync Instruction and uploaded it as PDF here
K-3 III and Image Sync Instructions - PentaxForums.com
11-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
User tomcook did write an Image Sync Instruction and uploaded it as PDF here
K-3 III and Image Sync Instructions - PentaxForums.com

Yes I am aware of that.