Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2021, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any thoughts on this review?

Not much content on this channel but some interesting comments about the camera. Does it seem accurate?

His comments about indoor exposure seem to mirror my K5 experiences

10-19-2021, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Any thoughts on this review?
I saw this video a couple of days ago, and noted his criticisms. I'm not certain, but believe that he may have borrowed the K-3 Mark III and two lenses (FA 77 Ltd and DA 16-85). It's not clear how much experience he had with the camera. He doesn't give any details about his camera settings, so I think that it's impossible to draw valid conclusions from his comments.

He likes some aspects, but had problems with metering (different exposures in back-to-back images), forced high-ISO levels, AF.C "hunting," the "low resolution" rear screen, and the black focus points in the viewfinder.

I seem to recall that someone here has had similar trouble with exposure metering (but I can't find the relevant thread), and there have been several comments or discussions concerning the black focus points. In general, his issues don't seem to be pervasive according to users here or as reported in most of the credible reviews.

He seems like an even-keeled guy, but I concluded that some of his problems may have resulted from lack of knowledge about the camera.

In the subsequent Comments, we see the CameraVille and others piling on with kudos to the reviewer. One commenter mentions PF member @kobie (Kobie-MC on YouTube) and the positive experience that he has had with the camera.

Like many other 'reviews' or commentaries, we don't know the reviewer's credentials, whether the camera was set up properly, or whether the best modes or settings were used. For example, did any of the criticizers perform any AF Fine Adjustment on their lenses? Who knows? They don't say. That's often the problem with this type of relatively short review, or especially the one-line sniping comments.

At least I found this YouTuber's presentation style to be balanced, so there's that.

Edit: When I first viewed the video, I missed some of the reviewer's introductory comments. He says "This is the first time I've ever used a Pentax digital camera."

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-20-2021 at 05:46 PM.
10-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
He seems like a credible, even-keeled guy, but I concluded that some of his problems may have resulted from lack of knowledge about the camera.
Yeah, it sounded to me like he didn't have enough experience with the camera, in particular his high-ISO issues.
10-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who the heck is this guy? He obviously never referenced the manual and never bothered to resolve, for instance the camera selecting higher ISO settings. His continuous AF tracking experiences do not correspond with mine. Reviewers like this will never be able to give a decent review without a thorough knowledge of the features of the camera and how to set them up properly.

Ho Hum.

[Edit]: Ok just looked at his channel three camera videos and two are slobberingly pro Leica! Maybe the K-3 Mk III is a bit too complex for this "Pro" photographer. His fawning fans are six so far who have commented, two are the usual Pentax haters we see on PF on occasion.

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-20-2021 at 07:55 AM.
10-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With spare time on my hands, I searched for this guy. He has done many reviews on Tech360.TV on YouTube. He's not a neophyte, but it's not obvious he has tried Pentax before.

- Craig
10-20-2021, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overall it wasn't that bad. The issue I see, (and this happens way too much now) is comparing a DSLR to a mirrorless camera and falsely expecting the dslr to have mirrorless AF capabilities. It just won't happen.
10-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
With spare time on my hands, I searched for this guy. He has done many reviews on Tech360.TV on YouTube. He's not a neophyte, but it's not obvious he has tried Pentax before.

- Craig
Craig what is obvious to me is that he didn't bother to familiarize himself with camera and how to set it up properly for what he was shooting. No mention was ever made of how the camera was customized and what the settings were. No wonder he was having problems.

Proper setup for situational shooting should be explained in depth by Pentax and that is their fault. The complexity of the Mk III is magnitudes more involved than for instance the Mk I or Mk II or probably even the K-1 Mk I and Mk II. This is a problem that Pentax could resolve easily with a proper additional manual.

Larry

10-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My only real complaint with the K3 III is the stupid autofocus points. I can turn on the viewfinder light and get really nice bright red lines and squares, but when the camera locks focus, it shuts the red light off, and I can't see any of the grid lines nor focus points. It's a stupid way to function.

Tracking works better than any Pentax camera that comes before, and I've not had a lot of problems especially when using the 55-300 PLM since it's able to change focus so quickly. The 16-85 just isn't in the same league, speed wise. The tracking is good enough for dogs at speed, and the grand kids are nowhere near fast enough to confuse it. If I fire off bursts, I usually get 80 to 90 % keeper rates, with an occasional truly awful focus.

Getting the camera to auto-select high ISO for me only happens in program mode with it set to action bias. Also, the high-ISO is so good, I don't really mind and use that setting frequently.
10-20-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

When he started talking about the camera liking high iso and him struggling to keep it in check I have to say I started wondering if he was familiar with exposure.

Really quite strange comment that made me think he was in green mode or something. If he was using the 16-85 indoors at 85mm and 1/200 I guess the could end up with high iso shots. But how you could frame it as a camera issue is beyond me. The way he discussed the problems made it seem he had absolutely no clue. Perhaps he cut away the details due to video length but the whole thing was odd.
10-20-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Overall it wasn't that bad. The issue I see, (and this happens way too much now) is comparing a DSLR to a mirrorless camera and falsely expecting the dslr to have mirrorless AF capabilities. It just won't happen.
Yes, I agree here, Kobie.

He also used a non-PLM lens...the 16-85. It's a little slow for indoor work.

I bet if he used the new DA* 16-50 PLM he would be a lot happier!

The 16-85 is, by far, my favorite all around lens for my old K-3 mk I.
Now that I have the new mk III, I find myself not reaching for it much anymore. This surprised me.
I find my 55-300 PLM is really nice. Fast and accurate on focus.

He needed a quick focus for what he was doing and that lens is not it.

---------- Post added 10-20-21 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Proper setup for situational shooting should be explained in depth by Pentax and that is their fault.
Larry
I couldn't agree more. My learning curve still feels very steep but when I do get things right, the camera does not disappoint.

Last edited by Lloyd_Christmas; 10-20-2021 at 09:19 AM.
10-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
Unregistered User

I find the AF to be trusted and fast. Using most lenses. I wonder if he used the LCD to focus... In that case, yes it will be hunting...
10-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If the real focus benefits of the K3-iii come from better focusing with the PLM lenses, then that complicates things. The reason I'm looking to upgrade from my K5 is the better focusing. My lenses are the 50-135 and 16-50, both with dead SDM and converted to screw-drive. I have a few other screw drive Pentax lenses and a Sigma 18-300 DC. Biggest frustration I have with the K5 is the poor focusing, especially in lower light, such as indoor photos. I also find I can be a little more creative with framing when using the LCD and get more interesting photos, so if live view focus is still a problem there's another point that it falls behind.

Admittedly something like the Sony a7iii would need me to buy new lenses, but the body is the same price... very difficult decision.
10-20-2021, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first viewed the video, I missed some of the reviewer's introductory comments.

He says "This is the first time I've ever used a Pentax digital camera."

- Craig
10-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Proper setup for situational shooting should be explained in depth by Pentax and that is their fault. The complexity of the Mk III is magnitudes more involved than for instance the Mk I or Mk II or probably even the K-1 Mk I and Mk II. This is a problem that Pentax could resolve easily with a proper additional manual.
@Larrymc, I agree.

The absence of a detailed guide on autofocus (and exposure) settings is one of my main gripes. I've assembled various notes on AF from other brands' manuals, but they don't necessarily apply directly to the K-3 Mark III settings. Some interpretation is required. Regarding subject recognition and face detection, I think I've got it figured out, but the Operating Manual is not totally clear or obvious.

While we may think that this YouTube reviewer should have familiarized himself with the camera, that's not a totally easy task. Even reading the Operating Manual cover-to-cover does not clearly reveal the AF tricks, IMO.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-20-2021 at 06:20 PM.
10-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
If the real focus benefits of the K3-iii come from better focusing with the PLM lenses, then that complicates things. The reason I'm looking to upgrade from my K5 is the better focusing. My lenses are the 50-135 and 16-50, both with dead SDM and converted to screw-drive. I have a few other screw drive Pentax lenses and a Sigma 18-300 DC. Biggest frustration I have with the K5 is the poor focusing, especially in lower light, such as indoor photos. I also find I can be a little more creative with framing when using the LCD and get more interesting photos, so if live view focus is still a problem there's another point that it falls behind.

Admittedly something like the Sony a7iii would need me to buy new lenses, but the body is the same price... very difficult decision.
Screw drive lens are much better with the MK III. Most of my lens are screw drive and they are accurate and fast to focus and can also track pretty well but not up to PLM standards.

Don't be afraid of this great camera.