Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mk III Highlight Weighted Metering

I've gotten intrigued with Highlight Weighted Metering mainly because I have been shooting a lot of contre-jour images lately. I have discovered that this metering mode really helps prevent blown out highlights that are usually so blown out using any other metering mode to be virtually unrecoverable. Have you other Mk III shooters used highlight weighted metering and how do you like it? I can see myself using this metering mode very often for scenes with an abundance of light.

10-26-2021, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I often use this metering mode on the GR 3. It's quite handy for high contrast ikages, and a sensible default if you're planning to process raw anyway.
10-26-2021, 09:54 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it for all my photos. I dont see any good reason for using anything else when highlight metering works so well.
10-26-2021, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

It's horrible for birding. It's hard enough to get good metering on the bird without telling the camera to expose for the often much brighter sky. You can sometimes recover the dark bird, but it's never ideal. Better to use Centre-weighted or Spot metering with Link AE and AF Point turned on.

10-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My standard sports preset uses highlight weighted metering and I really like the results. I'll often shoot in bright daylight conditions and white uniforms, reflections off turf and other things, white goalposts, clouds, etc always run the risk of being blown out. In order to get faces and the ball in the frame I'll often have to shoot with the sun behind the players, which leads to very high contrast scenes.

This is one of a number of features with the Mark III that I never really thought about before, but would be hard to live without. I guess with the Mark II I'd sometimes deliberately underexpose, but this does a much better, more consistent job of adapting to conditions that can change on a frame-by-frame basis.
10-27-2021, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I use it for all my photos. I dont see any good reason for using anything else when highlight metering works so well.
I can't see using it on every shooting occasion but it's a very nice tool to have in the tool kit.
10-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It's horrible for birding. It's hard enough to get good metering on the bird without telling the camera to expose for the often much brighter sky. You can sometimes recover the dark bird, but it's never ideal. Better to use Centre-weighted or Spot metering with Link AE and AF Point turned on.
I'll just have to try it on the Gulls, Terns, Pelicans and Egrets in my area during the winter here. Darker birds its probably better to use techniques like yours.

10-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've gotten intrigued with Highlight Weighted Metering mainly because I have been shooting a lot of contre-jour images lately. I have discovered that this metering mode really helps prevent blown out highlights that are usually so blown out using any other metering mode to be virtually unrecoverable. Have you other Mk III shooters used highlight weighted metering and how do you like it? I can see myself using this metering mode very often for scenes with an abundance of light.
This is a mode I thought of some time ago and would be easier to use that a standard mode with EV comp. Good to know Pentax have also thought of it and put it in their camera
10-27-2021, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My standard sports preset uses highlight weighted metering and I really like the results. I'll often shoot in bright daylight conditions and white uniforms, reflections off turf and other things, white goalposts, clouds, etc always run the risk of being blown out. In order to get faces and the ball in the frame I'll often have to shoot with the sun behind the players, which leads to very high contrast scenes.

This is one of a number of features with the Mark III that I never really thought about before, but would be hard to live without. I guess with the Mark II I'd sometimes deliberately underexpose, but this does a much better, more consistent job of adapting to conditions that can change on a frame-by-frame basis.
I can see lots of shooting situations where Highlight Weighted Metering should work allowing less processing steps to get the results one wants. One definitely needs to shoot in DNG format and have a good RAW processing program though.
10-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think I will use it when I bracket.
10-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It’s my go to for sunrise and sunset shoots with the sun in the frame.
10-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it and started using it regularly.
I have previously tried highlight-weighted metering on other cameras and was unimpressed.
With K3-III, however, it works well in high contrast situations, e.g., bright skies and dark shadows. It prevents blowing highlights, IMO the bane of digital photography.
10-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SrMi Quote
I like it and started using it regularly.
I have previously tried highlight-weighted metering on other cameras and was unimpressed.
With K3-III, however, it works well in high contrast situations, e.g., bright skies and dark shadows. It prevents blowing highlights, IMO the bane of digital photography.
Yep, blown highlights are a total RAW processing pain. Other than the Mk III the other DSLRs which have Highlight Weighted Metering are higher end Nikons they have a form of Metering Sensor (180k D-850) that I don't think is as sophisticated as the Mk III's 307k RGBir Metering Sensor. The Mk III's sensor meters multiple areas of the frame to make its adjustments, I'm not sure what Nikon does with theirs. I do like the results with RAW developed images.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-01-2021 at 06:38 AM.
11-01-2021, 04:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had a chance to go through my images from the weekend, but Saturday I was at a morning soccer match near DC where the parents' side of the field was looking right into the sun, which was maybe 30 degrees above the horizon, with a bunch of wild-looking clouds changing the lighting constantly. Few options to change perspective, spectators are not allowed on the team side of the field. So, I put the Mark III on my sports present with highlight-weighted metering, TAv, and hoped for the best. Chimping images made it appear that a lot of them were quite underexposed, as expected. Hopefully this week I'll be able to look at them and do some work in post.
11-01-2021, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I haven't had a chance to go through my images from the weekend, but Saturday I was at a morning soccer match near DC where the parents' side of the field was looking right into the sun, which was maybe 30 degrees above the horizon, with a bunch of wild-looking clouds changing the lighting constantly. Few options to change perspective, spectators are not allowed on the team side of the field. So, I put the Mark III on my sports present with highlight-weighted metering, TAv, and hoped for the best. Chimping images made it appear that a lot of them were quite underexposed, as expected. Hopefully this week I'll be able to look at them and do some work in post.
The key questions is were the highlights blown out? If they weren't the shadows can be lifted easily and the metering setting did its job. Happy processing!