Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2021, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3iii with HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW lens

I am considering buying a used HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW lens for my K-3iii. Reading the Pentax Forum reviews on this lens, there are aspects I would like to check on, when used with the K-3iii.
I intend to use the lens principally with a monopod, being more convenient than a suitably heavy tripod.
On this basis, can users of this combination advise:

Is the stiffness of the the zoom ring problematic, either using with a monopod or hand held.
The lens AF speed apparently drops significantly in poor light conditions. Is this still true with the K-3iii and what is deemed as 'poor' light conditions.
With the enhanced SR performance of the K-3iii, what is the minimum shutter speed with a monopod to get sharp images of static objects at 450mm focal length.
Similarly, what is the minimum shutter speed with a tripod to get sharp images of static objects at 450mm focal length.

Looking forward to your replies.

10-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had this lens a short while, and while I can't offer any hints wrt the K-3iii specifically, I can recommend it. The 150-450 is the multiuse supertele lens for Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
Is the stiffness of the the zoom ring problematic, either using with a monopod or hand held.
I find the zoom ring isn't really stiff - and it moves by itself if you point the camera up or down. Whether this is an issue or not is up to the individual, personally while it's a tad annoying, I wouldn't really mark it against the lens.

With the enhanced SR performance of the K-3iii, what is the minimum shutter speed with a monopod to get sharp images of static objects at 450mm focal length.
With my KP (and the K-3iii has supposedly better SR), I can get it pretty low handheld, so I wouldn't be worrying about it too much. It depends on technique really.

For example, this is shot wide open at 450mm, testing how low I can go handheld (without bracing on external objects, like a doorway) at 1/45s - and I'm sure I could go lower still, especially with a monopod to help brace the weight.

And at a 100% crop, I'm not seeing any motion blur:

Similarly, what is the minimum shutter speed with a tripod to get sharp images of static objects at 450mm focal length.
With a solid enough tripod, there really isn't a minimum shutter speed. If everything is solid without vibrations, you could theoretically take a photo forever. Until an earth quake and then you may get some image shake
10-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a good lens and perfect for the K-3mkIII. Just a bit big and heavy but that is the price you pay for excellent optics.
The zoom ring is a bit stiff but something I rarely use. The lens generally stays at 450mm.
I don't find using a monopod improves image quality. Maybe just a little easier on the arms.
I think the combination performs well in low light conditions within reason.
Probably my favourite Pentax lens.

Spotted Pardalote | Craig Brown | Flickr
10-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use a monopod or tripod

this article could be worth the time to read

QuoteQuote:
Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held
Member photographic article
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Feb 18, 2012
Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held
Do you want to learn how to make the most of hand-held shots? Our first member-submitted photographic article, written by Heie, discusses four different techniques for holiding your camera more steadily, and, in turn, getting sharper photos!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/?page=29

10-27-2021, 12:47 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I occasionally use a monopod, if I'm in a blind or will otherwise be shooting from the same spot for a while. I typically turn off the SR when using the monopod, however. The K3III and 150-450 combo work great handheld too. This dipper was in full shade and shot handheld at 1/320 sec. I was nervous about the focus hit rate of a gray bird on gray rocks in low light but was happily surprised by the number of images that turned out in focus from this outing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I don't use a monopod or tripod
Same. I use it hand-held 99% of the time with a Peak Design Slide strap.
10-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
. . . big and heavy . . .
and the price

are the downside

its ability

the UPSIDE:

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - Page 189 - PentaxForums.com

10-27-2021, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #8

I used my K3-III and the 150-450 lens this year on a trip in Alaska. I shot in very difficult environment, on the sea/ocean to visit the bird nests on small islands, with waves between 3 to 6 feet high.
I used the camera without monopod/tripod and as some suggested supported the lens on my arm. I'm also old school, I never bring my shutter speed under the focus length. So when I shoot at 450 mm, my shutter is at least 1/400 and I use the TAV mode, let the ISO fluctuate. The K3-III has no issues with noise.
Another rule normally is when you use your camera on a tripod, you have to disable SR, since on a tripod with SR, you can get blurry images. This was told to me in a class of photography.
Here are some shots, some pictures I cropped and they are still good.

K3-III 150-450 - Google Photos

It is a fantastic combo, the K3-33 with this lens
10-28-2021, 01:08 AM   #9

I've the same combo and it works superbly well, if in doubt, up the ISO a tad, i mostly use mine handheld and only with a mono pod if in a hide
10-28-2021, 03:02 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't think twice . K3 iii with 150-450 the best combo . i have this lens mount in my camera for a past 5 month ( around 20000 shots) .
Focus is fast ( AFC with zone auto focus , full auto , select small , and spot ) works great . The zoom ring not a issue at all . great balance with k3iii even with out battery grip . i have shot a lot hand hold with low shutter speed 1/125 - to 1/160 at 450 mm with out problem ) . I don't use tripod or monopod at all . the is no need .you will amaze how fast this lens and accurate it is .My advise - when you will get the lens first think to do--- to check the sharpness at 5.6 . I bought my from BH , and return one (i wasn't satisfied with 5.6 sharpness ) the new one they send to me was tack sharp) . and few other members mention this before . the picture i posted was taken yesterday straight from camera with out any PP
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-29-2021, 06:18 AM - 5 Likes   #11
Unregistered User

Using this lens on the K-3 III with and without a mono or tripod. Depends on what I am shooting. Mostly handheld. IQ is excellent, zooming not at all stiff and AF is fast and accurate. I have the K-1 to compare with.

Some downloadable samples:

01-09-2022, 02:37 PM   #12

Is anyone also using the K-3 iii and the 1.4x T.C. with this lens?
01-10-2022, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacobja Quote
I used my K3-III ..... ...... I'm also old school, I never bring my shutter speed under the focus length. So when I shoot at 450 mm, my shutter is at least 1/400 and I use the TAV mode, let the ISO fluctuate.
The old school rule is valid on full frame cameras without IBIS , on APS-c you should apply the crop factor (or effective focal length) and go for at least 1/675
But on the other hand, the IBIS will already help on lower shutter speeds like 1/400, so you’re on the safe side...

I am using this lens handheld but remove the tripod mount for better handling when handheld ( on a K3II , "2" to be accurate) .

1/100 is quite feasible if your subject is static... depending on the camera IBIS, it is up to 4 or 5 stops if I remember but on long focal lengths some margin isn’t bad.

A monopod or other support gets usefull if you shoot long series ( the weight gets heavier over time - at least it feels like that after some time).
01-12-2022, 02:55 PM - 5 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find the zoom ring to be well damped and not "sticky" at all. It's just a long zoom throw due to the barrel size. I mainly use mine hand held but I have also used it on a monopod with just a Ball Head (one of the monopod/Ball Head setup photos I've captured).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF