Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #1

Water Color digital filter

Try to look around the entire system menu, I couldn't find this VERY interesting digital filter in my K-3III

Is it true that this is missing in the current version of K-3III firmware ??

Can we have it back soon ??

11-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes … it's gone, along with a few other effects … I've taken to carrying a second body in case I want to use this feature

Before the "do it in post" replies appear … yes, that's fine, but having the feature 'in camera' gives a preview capability, if nothing else.
I'll "fiddle" in Photoshop to my heart's content, if I'm confident the result may be worth it, but having an on-site preview can really help with framing etc. on occasion
11-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Yes … it's gone, along with a few other effects … I've taken to carrying a second body in case I want to use this feature

Before the "do it in post" replies appear … yes, that's fine, but having the feature 'in camera' gives a preview capability, if nothing else.
I'll "fiddle" in Photoshop to my heart's content, if I'm confident the result may be worth it, but having an on-site preview can really help with framing etc. on occasion
I see, thanks.

Can you think of any reason that Ricoh took it away ?
11-09-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
I see, thanks.
Can you think of any reason that Ricoh took it away ?

Pure guessing … either the code for the effects wasn't compatible with the new operating system (needed too much re-writing or whatever), or there was insufficient ROM space for the code which was needed for other features.
It was also possibly regarded as too much of a "gimmick" on a "hi-end flag-ship" camera
Personally, I'll take all the features I can get, even if I can't see an application for them at the moment … HDR or Pixel-shift, for example
What I find really annoying is that having removed the feature from the camera, they didn't include it in the Digital Camera Utility program.
Most of the other "Image Finishing" effects are available, including many/most "Scene" options from the earlier cameras … why not Water Color or Pastel?

11-13-2021, 02:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Pure guessing … either the code for the effects wasn't compatible with the new operating system (needed too much re-writing or whatever), or there was insufficient ROM space for the code which was needed for other features.
It was also possibly regarded as too much of a "gimmick" on a "hi-end flag-ship" camera
Personally, I'll take all the features I can get, even if I can't see an application for them at the moment … HDR or Pixel-shift, for example
What I find really annoying is that having removed the feature from the camera, they didn't include it in the Digital Camera Utility program.
Most of the other "Image Finishing" effects are available, including many/most "Scene" options from the earlier cameras … why not Water Color or Pastel?
Thanks, that sounds reasonable, Removal of digital filter sort of reminding me Sony.

The first RX-100 allows me to apply filter while review photos in, this feature was removed from RX-100M2 and so on.