Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using K-3iii with external microphone

I am principally a stills photographer, but can any experienced folks shooting video with the K 3iii kindly answer the following question.
Can advice be offered on mounting and using an external microphone, with muff, with the K-3iii to fully eliminate extraneous camera noise, such as lens operation when shooting video. Also does using an external microphone allow continuous focusing to operate with any lens (i.e. override the normal camera mode of not allowing continuous focusing, unless a PLM lens is used).

Last edited by Robert N; 11-22-2021 at 02:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction
11-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I am principally a stills photographer, but can any experienced shooting video with the K 3iii kindly answer the following question.
Can advise be offered on mounting and using an external microphone, with muff, with the K-3iii to fully eliminate extraneous camera noise, such as lens operation when shooting video. Also does using an external microphone allow continuous focussing to operate with any lens (i.e. override the normal camera mode of not allowing continuous focussing, unless a PLM lens is used).
Hi!

It is not so straight forward. How ever, using shotgun style external microphone will give to you this up to some extent. If you really want to avoid camera sounds you should get very good microphone which has battery in it. And preferably a little boom to get it further away from the camera. I use Rode Go for when I want to record speaking for example my old Rode shotgun microphone does work quite well. Best results can be had If I’d get that shotgun closer to the subject.

This does not apply only to the K-3III but to other cameras too.
11-23-2021, 01:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I am principally a stills photographer, but can any experienced folks shooting video with the K 3iii kindly answer the following question.
Can advice be offered on mounting and using an external microphone, with muff, with the K-3iii to fully eliminate extraneous camera noise, such as lens operation when shooting video. Also does using an external microphone allow continuous focusing to operate with any lens (i.e. override the normal camera mode of not allowing continuous focusing, unless a PLM lens is used).
I use wireless LAV mics so they aren't even on the camera. I've used shotgun mics as well which work fine. On screw drive lenses you'll probably still hear it if it refocused while using a shotgun mic.
As for your question about the AF, the simple answer is no. Adding a mic to the camera isn't going to change the focusing system at all. It only does Continuous AF during video with a PLM lens. The K-70 however can do it using either PLM or DC lenses since it has hybrid auto focus (phase detect pixels on the sensor) but the K-3 Mark III doesn't seem to have that. And if it does, it's not enabled yet.