Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I had expected, a "loupe" does not give me a viewfinder experience on a "Q", and adds size.
We have had this discussion many times - it is not the same thing.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is such a weird thread.

Weird it most certainly is. I believe I'll leave you good folks to it...

11-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

To raffle or to not raffle!

This is such a weird thread
Of course it is weird, but then today it is November 22nd and all these comments can be used to qualify for the raffle!
11-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #33
Pentaxian

What's in a name part 2

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
There is already language to describe it, the key words are *dslr* and *live view*. I can't see what this new terminology adds to this particularly as the two words are well established and understood.
Wrong! A DSLR does not have live view. Take the K10d, its predecessors and the K100d to mention a few, they are true DSLR. At that time it was often mentioned (D)SLR a digitized single lens reflex. Live view belongs to the mirrorless realm. From K20d onwards we have a hybrid camera that can function as a DSLR or as a mirrorless in taking a picture. You can even go so far that the actual taking of the picture is always mirrorless, as the image is not transferred to the film or sensor through the use of the mirror, but directly from the lens to film or sensor surface. But maybe for some of the forum members this is a bridge too far, for which I do apologize.
11-22-2021, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is such a weird thread.

If you are in a specific scenario where you need to have the K-3 III function silently you are able to get it to do so. This is a new thing for Pentax cameras. As far as I know, while the KP and K-1/K-1 II have electronic shutters, they are definitely not silent even when using live view. Using a K-3 III in silent mode occasionally does not (1) Turn it into a failed MILC (I think a number of MILCs without EVFs have sold decently, but still) or (2) Mean that the OVF vanishes -- it just can't be used and have the camera function silently.

I think it is a positive and hopefully something that is added to future Pentax models, even if it doesn't auto-magically turn a K-1 III into a mirrorless model.
You seem to be one of only a couple posters who get it.

11-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
He often is.
11-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I understood what the OP was saying - I just think it is pointless.

added: I am not posting here to get my 'count' up - I will not be competing in this particular "raffle"
11-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sure. My point was only that an EVF is just an LCD display with optical elements to aid viewing. It was made in relation to the claim that a true MILC has an EVF...
Its a relevant comparison when the loupe occupies the space of the pentaprism. Otherwise not. I prefer ovf but thats a different issue.

11-22-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
K3 iii silent mirrorless operation
That was exactly my complain about the Pentax K-1 and K-1 II being so noisy going back/forth from ovf to live view, unlike the K3 III.
11-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That was exactly my complain about the Pentax K-1 and K-1 II being so noisy going back/forth from ovf to live view, unlike the K3 III.
I don't notice much difference! Perhaps slightly more of a sharp click component on the K1.
11-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I feel almost guilty when going back/forth to much because the process sounds a bit violent. Like I'm wrecking the camera by doing it to much, the light delay is annoying as well.
11-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

So does the mirror remain up in the K-3iii when you turn it off?

As far as I can work out the KP is also silent when in LV and ES, just mirror cycles down when you turn it off...
11-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I feel almost guilty when going back/forth to much because the process sounds a bit violent. Like I'm wrecking the camera by doing it to much, the light delay is annoying as well.
When I use live view on the K50 I always switch off live view before taking the shot to avoid the double cycle of the mirror.

11-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So does the mirror remain up in the K-3iii when you turn it off?

As far as I can work out the KP is also silent when in LV and ES, just mirror cycles down when you turn it off...
Apparently the K-3iii’s mirror stays up if it is up when you turn it off;
I cannot imagine storing it that way.

Last edited by reh321; 11-22-2021 at 02:08 PM.
11-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently the K-3iii’s mirror stays up if it is up when you turn it off;
I cannot imagine storing it that way.
If it does, it must be only under certain circumstances, I can't get mine, with the latest firmware, to do anything other than drop the mirror when the camera is powered off.
11-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #45
Pentaxian

My K1 has around 60K exposures, but I use live-view a lot, so my K1 shutter probably has 120K actuation or even more, I expect it'll die before it reaches 200K Exif counter.