Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 iii silent mirrorless operation

The K3 iii can function as a true silent mirrorless camera by 1: set the top 3 position mode dial to LV. 2: enable the electronic shutter. 3: (optional) enable touch screen selection of the focus point. The settings remain selected even after a power off/on cycle with no mirror flopping - it stays up until the mode dial is changed. Pictures are taken silently with no shutter sound or mirror flopping sound.

11-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The K3 iii can function as a true silent mirrorless camera by 1: set the top 3 position mode dial to LV. 2: enable the electronic shutter. 3: (optional) enable touch screen selection of the focus point. The settings remain selected even after a power off/on cycle with no mirror flopping - it stays up until the mode dial is changed. Pictures are taken silently with no shutter sound or mirror flopping sound.
But this camera has no viewfinder, so it still isn't truly a MILC.
A true MILC has a viewfinder which makes it completely usable in the brightness of direct sunlight.
11-21-2021, 10:23 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A true MILC has a viewfinder which makes it completely usable in the brightness of direct sunlight.
Sorry, I must be missing something.

Which part of the term "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera" mandates the presence of an electronic viewfinder?
11-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sorry, I must be missing something.

Which part of the term "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera" mandates the presence of an electronic viewfinder?
I seem to be missing the same something.

Steve

11-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Never got the hang of shooting with the rear screen myself.
11-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You'd have to buy the HDMI EVF accessory kit.
11-22-2021, 12:23 AM - 9 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The correct reference being looked for Is Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lense or EVIL for short��

11-22-2021, 01:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You are right, but fortunately with K-3 Mark III it sits on the back of the camera just like your KP which has the extra advantage of being flippable. Did you know that (I guess from K20d onwards) most Pentax branded APS-C camera's are dual viewfinder camera's the exception being the K-01?
11-22-2021, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So the Canon EOS M6, Fujfilm X-A7, Olympus PEN E-P7, Sigma FP, Leica TL2 and others aren't true MILCs? I suspect the manufacturers would beg to differ

M - mirrorless, i.e. no mirror. ILC - interchangeable lens camera. Nothing about viewfinders in there...

In any case, stick an LCD loupe over the K-3III's display and you have your viewfinder That's all the EVF is on MILCs that have one - an LCD display with optical elements to enable viewing at the correct size and distance...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-22-2021 at 04:11 AM.
11-22-2021, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Others have mentioned, but mirrorless refers to the absence of a mirror, nothing else. There are lots of mirrorless cameras that don't have EVFs -- I understand your preference is to have one.

I think the point the OP is making has more to do with the "silent mode." While other Pentax cameras have featured the ability to take photos with an electronic shutter, they still make plenty of noise in the process. Apparently the K-3 III can be set so that it doesn't.
11-22-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The rear screen is a viewfinder.....
11-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The rear screen is a viewfinder.....
It is but you can't always see it in bright sunlight.

11-22-2021, 04:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
It is but you can't always see it in bright sunlight.
There are ways around that.

I would say that the majority of the time where you need "true silent shooting mode" would be indoors where using the rear LCD would typically not be a problem. Most of the time when I am out doors it is not a problem to have a little noise (Pentax mechanical shutters aren't very loud).
11-22-2021, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A camera with a mirror can't become mirrorless by locking the mirror up. It still has a mirror.

My comment is tedious but so are the comments trying to suggest a DSLR can be a mirrorless. You get the worst of both worlds pretending a DSLR is mirrorless.
11-22-2021, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A camera with a mirror can't become mirrorless by locking the mirror up. It still has a mirror.

My comment is tedious but so are the comments trying to suggest a DSLR can be a mirrorless. You get the worst of both worlds pretending a DSLR is mirrorless.
Not to be argumentative, but I think the key word in the OP's post was the word "function." He isn't saying that the K-3 III becomes a mirrorless camera, but rather that it can operate noiselessly like one when certain things are done. Since this is something that is new for the K-3 III it is worth mentioning.

I also don't know how much a difference there really is between, a K-50 stuck in live view and a K-01. Maybe there is more than I think, but I think the differences between SLRs and MILCs have been inflated over time.