Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #1

Defective K3 iii

Heartbroken...

Bought a new Pentax K3 iii from Amazon Canada (sold by Amazon itself) and a friend delivered it in India after three months. The return window is closed.

It is defective. No images are being recorded. All I get are files that display like those below.

What could be wrong? Is this a major problem?

It is going to be a Herculean task to get this issue addressed by Amazon Canada or Ricoh Pentax as Pentax doesn't even have a proper presence in India.

And I was so eagerly waiting to use it

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-H930  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LG-H930  Photo 
12-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Heartbroken...

Bought a new Pentax K3 iii from Amazon Canada (sold by Amazon itself) and a friend delivered it in India after three months. The return window is closed.

It is defective. No images are being recorded. All I get are files that display like those below.

What could be wrong? Is this a major problem?

It is going to be a Herculean task to get this issue addressed by Amazon Canada or Ricoh Pentax as Pentax doesn't even have a proper presence in India.

Is the problem that that is all you're getting in the way of photos?

Best bet would probably contact Ricoh Imaging Canada, assuming you still have all receipts, and get it replaced/repaired under warranty. Maybe a fair bit of shipping cost if you're in India - and you may have to ship to a friend in Canada who then forwards to Ricoh - but you should be able to get it fixed or a working unit under warranty.

Alternatively, contact Amazon as the place of purchase to initiate a warranty repair. I'm not sure how that works exactly, but when my K-50 died in warranty, I took it to the place of purchase and they handled all warranty issues.

That's sure a big disappointment, so best of luck getting a working unit in your hands!
12-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it is defective, warranty repair is still available, although slow. In the meantime try resetting the camera. Try a different memory card. Try a different lens. To test, set it to Auto. etc, etc.
12-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What card are you using? Try different one. Update the firmware.

12-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
agree, first candidate for checking, but I think OP has already done that.
12-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There might be some cards there are not even compatible, at least without a firmware update.
12-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #7

Does the image show in instant preview right after taking a shot? Did you try the other card slot?

12-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too would suspect the card. A few years ago my daughter returned from India with an SD card purchased there and when we tried to access it to process some photos, my anti-virus software went crazy. The card came equipped with malware!

Steve
12-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Is the problem that that is all you're getting in the way of photos?

Best bet would probably contact Ricoh Imaging Canada, assuming you still have all receipts, and get it replaced/repaired under warranty. Maybe a fair bit of shipping cost if you're in India - and you may have to ship to a friend in Canada who then forwards to Ricoh - but you should be able to get it fixed or a working unit under warranty.

Alternatively, contact Amazon as the place of purchase to initiate a warranty repair. I'm not sure how that works exactly, but when my K-50 died in warranty, I took it to the place of purchase and they handled all warranty issues.

That's sure a big disappointment, so best of luck getting a working unit in your hands!
Contacted Amazon. They said they will try and speak to Ricoh Canada. Keeping fingers crossed.

If they agree to repair, I will send it across through someone going to Canada.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 11:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If it is defective, warranty repair is still available, although slow. In the meantime try resetting the camera. Try a different memory card. Try a different lens. To test, set it to Auto. etc, etc.
Tried everything except firmware update.

Live view is also not coming on.

Video mode also not working.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Will try updating firmware soon.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does the image show in instant preview right after taking a shot? Did you try the other card slot?

No image seen in instant preview. I see the above shown image files in my post. Tried both card slots.
12-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They said they will try and speak to Ricoh Canada. Keeping fingers crossed.
Will try updating firmware soon.
Yikes, my friend. I feel for you.
That's a big expense and a lot of time to wait just to have to deal with a potential defect.
I hope the firmware update works for you!
12-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

If how you're saying live view is not working, it sounds like a faulty sensor assembly :/ hope Amazon will arrange a replacement! Good luck!
12-04-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Updated firmware.

No effect.

I guess it is a faulty sensor.

Thanks for your kind advice and words of support.

Hopefully Amazon will address the issue.
12-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Updated firmware.

No effect.

I guess it is a faulty sensor.

Thanks for your kind advice and words of support.

Hopefully Amazon will address the issue.
Crossing fingers for you - hope you can get a functional new camera without too much time or hassle passing!
12-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh man, it does look like its toast. Good luck with getting a replacement. That should happen although it may take time back and forth.
12-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #15

That's a bummer. Sounds like a sensor or mainboard problem. Hope it works out for you without costing an arm and a leg for shipping.