12-19-2021, 09:42 PM - 3 Likes   #151
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Thnks, that's clear explanation...
just curious, did you get that comet NEOWISE pic from a single long exposure shot ? is so, you must have been in a pretty dark sky isn't ?
Single 80 seconds shot. I was ~15 miles (24km) or so away from the populated area. So it was much darker than e.g. my backyard, yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by cuiv Quote
So now I'm thinking this won't work as well as standard Astrotracer for multiple exposures, because then you need to also track the object.
You're correct in that you need calibration each time you adjust the tripod. However, you don't have to think about calibration because it's automatic, pain free and accurate. Calibration of GPS-based one is none of these.

Type I/II (GPS-based) work flow: Manually calibrate compass by contorting your body and hands/arms in a funny way, which may or may not work perfectly (see below). Set up the tripod and the camera. Press shutter button to take multiple shots. Reposition your camera. Press shutter button to take another series. Reposition. Rinse, repeat.

Type III (GPS-less) work flow: Set up the tripod and the camera. Press shutter button to take multiple shots. Reposition your camera. Press shutter button to take another series. Reposition. Rinse, repeat.

In addition, tracking performance of Type III is actually better than Type I/II in my very limited experience (I've only tried Type III in 3 very short evenings, all on weekdays, mostly with 300mm focal length).

For one thing, you don't have to worry about iron, steel, permanent magnets and DC current around the camera for Type III. OTOH, to get the most out of Type I/II, I have to pay attention to everything nearby, like if quick release clamp has too much iron/steel, what about tripod, am I too close to building and/or fence and/or car and/or motor-driven equatorial mount for another camera and/or whatever, if there might be rebars and remesh underground, that kind of stuff. I'm not joking, these things do make a difference.

Maybe related to the above, but Type III is more accurate than Type I/II. No trailing whatsoever for 60 sec exposure with a 300mm lens pointing at Orion (which is close-ish to the celestial equator where the stars move the fastest), the slightest hint of trailing for 90 sec if you pixel peep. Maybe it's just me but I haven't achieved that with GPS-based one.

Anyway that's my observation so far.

Last edited by kwb; 12-19-2021 at 10:13 PM.
12-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Yes my main issue with astrotracer is the fact that it can be off due to nearby iron or other things that mess up the compass. Also as the focal length increases (200mm+) the hit rate because worse and worse.
12-19-2021, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All of these photos are beautiful! Thank you for the explanations and sharing your shots.
12-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Dang! this is awesome!
hopefully the 1.40FW will not be beta for much longer!

Anyhow, how do you get a Ricoh ID?

12-22-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Answer is here : OMG GPS-less astrotracing works! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
The Ricoh Photo ID membership seems to be restricted to Japanese photographers at the moment...
12-23-2021, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Dang! this is awesome!
hopefully the 1.40FW will not be beta for much longer!

Use Google Chrome as a browser and log in to the Japanese site. Then use Google translate - you can set it to translate all pages inJapanese.

I managed to set myself up with an account and downloaded the firmware.

Not had chance to use it yet - weather in the UK has been very dull!
12-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
Use Google Chrome as a browser and log in to the Japanese site. Then use Google translate - you can set it to translate all pages inJapanese.

I managed to set myself up with an account and downloaded the firmware.
I tried that, but the site gets hung up at "Prefectures" and "Address1." I can't enter anything in those, but they are required to continue.
https://ricohimagingstore.com/customer/account/create/

12-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I tried that, but the site gets hung up at "Prefectures" and "Address1." I can't enter anything in those, but they are required to continue.
Same problem here!
12-25-2021, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
So that is why it does a 30 sec exposure for movement evaluation of the stars, and that's why it works better on longer focales, where the "traces" becomes more obvious to calculate, compared to a wide-angle, where the star trails becomes harder to figure out (here's the 500 rule for astrophoto comes into play).
It is nice to hear that it works best with longer focal lengths, for two reasons.

1. The GPS based AstroTracer struggled a bit with longer focal lengths, as far as I know. And that mainly is due to lack of accuracy of the compass. Maybe also the tilt sensors?

2. The solution with moving sensor works best for longer focal lengths. At shorter focal lengths the stars move differently in different parts of the image plane, and you cannot get all pin sharp.

/Roland
12-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote
It is nice to hear that it works best with longer focal lengths, for two reasons.

1. The GPS based AstroTracer struggled a bit with longer focal lengths, as far as I know. And that mainly is due to lack of accuracy of the compass. Maybe also the tilt sensors?

2. The solution with moving sensor works best for longer focal lengths. At shorter focal lengths the stars move differently in different parts of the image plane, and you cannot get all pin sharp.

/Roland
I don't do astro(yet....one day I'll try for my artwork), so this is quite interesting. I didn't know this about the FL's and the GPS.
12-25-2021, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Same problem here!
I've just managed to create ID and download firmware.
The URL for creating ID is: https://ricohimagingstore.com/customer/account/create/
The trick is, that it didn't worked for me when using google translate, so I've just open 2 tabs with the same URL:
one with translation, one without. I've filled fields without translating that page and it worked.

When you fill the address the field "Prefectures" is automatically set according to your postcode - so that might be another issue.

As for the address - I've used google maps to find some address with post code in Japan.

After creating account you will find beta firmware at: https://ricohimagingstore.com/customer/account/

If that still doesn't work for you.

The manual is available at:
https://ricohimagingstore.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/astrotracer_type3.pdf

For firmware change the URL accordingly:
last directory in url - change from pdf to zip
file name is: k3III_v140.zip

Software Terms of Use are just the same as for normal firmware.

Have fun.
12-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backing down from 1.40 to 1.31

If the beta 1.40 patch is installed, and a problem is found, can you back down to 1.31?

Is it possible?
12-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
If the beta 1.40 patch is installed, and a problem is found, can you back down to 1.31?
Is it possible?
No! I've just tried, the camera gives an "Update Failed" message.
12-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
No! I've just tried, the camera gives an "Update Failed" message.
Uh oh.

Could be stuck with a bad beta.

Thanks for checking. Have you found any problems?
12-30-2021, 01:25 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Thanks for checking. Have you found any problems?

Not yet … neither have I had opportunity to play with the astro-trace feature either … bad weather
I tend to be one of life's eternal optimists, probably with too much faith in manufacturers' capabilities
I pre-ordered my K-3iii as soon as the opportunity arose, haven't been disappointed, but I'll admit to having my KP to "fall back on" in the event of something "going pear-shaped"