Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 01:20 PM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I installed the beta 1.40 firmware (which is only available for Ricoh Imaging Photo ID members at the moment), and the sky was clear. I HAD TO test GPS-less astrotracing aka Astrotracer Type 3!

I set up my tripod in the back yard and quickly shot Orion nebula using DA* 300 at F/5, 25 seconds, ISO 400. Light pollution is terrible here so I used a cheap light pollution filter. First attachment is SOOC jpeg with Astrotracer Type 3 ON. For comparison, the second one is w/o any astrotracing. You can see how nicely the tracking worked, it really felt like magic, it was just a matter of pressing the shutter button and the camera took care of the rest!

When I pressed the shutter button, there was an initial exposure of about 30 sec, and then there was another shutter actuation to take the real picture with specified duration. I tried longer exposure up to 2 minutes but the first exposure was always about 30 sec. Anyway, I assume that the camera doesn't move the sensor for the first exposure, analyzes the star trailing and figures out how much the sensor should be moved/rotated per second.

25 sec was not the limit of the astrotracer, I started with 60 seconds and it worked w/o problem, but I was overexposing and eventually settled on 25 sec. (You can still see that the center of the nebula is overexposed, 30sec or so with ISO 200 would have been better.)

I shot 7 pictures (total of 175 sec) and combined them using Sequator, and did a very quick and dirty PP job in Lightroom, cropped and resized, that's the 3rd attachment.

If I don't have to work tomorrow I'm still shooting (after adjusting the exposure) and the result would have been greater, but this was a huge win for me as the first night of GPS-less Astrotracer!
How are you liking the firmware update with the Astrotracer in it?

12-30-2021, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Not yet … neither have I had opportunity to play with the astro-trace feature either … bad weather
I tend to be one of life's eternal optimists, probably with too much faith in manufacturers' capabilities
I pre-ordered my K-3iii as soon as the opportunity arose, haven't been disappointed, but I'll admit to having my KP to "fall back on" in the event of something "going pear-shaped"
I too prefer to live with a smile and with the expectation that promises made are kept. Life is too short.

But dang it, I get disappointed too often.
01-02-2022, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #168
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
How are you liking the firmware update with the Astrotracer in it?
I've been liking it though I haven't had further chance to test Astrotracer Type 3 due to weather.

Anyway, for the sake of full transparency, I have to say I've had two glitches that may or may not be related to the beta firmware.

One was that, after taking pictures, I powered the camera off, went home, removed the SD card from the camera and inserted it to the card reader connected to my PC. The PC complained that it cannot read the card. I put the card back to the camera and the camera couldn't read it either. Eventually I gave up and formatted the card in camera after that. This happened to me once before the update too, it could be the card or the card reader but I'm not sure.

Another glitch was that after repeated short bursts (continuous M) with DA* 300 and HD DA 1.4x, suddenly the camera didn't fire. I thought that maybe the camera was writing the data to my card though the access lamp wasn't blinking, waited for 30 sec or so, but it still didn't come back, it even didn't AF. I switched the camera off and back on, and it worked right away. This happened to me a few times before the update, cannot remember the condition, though.
01-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I've been liking it though I haven't had further chance to test Astrotracer Type 3 due to weather.

Anyway, for the sake of full transparency, I have to say I've had two glitches that may or may not be related to the beta firmware.

One was that, after taking pictures, I powered the camera off, went home, removed the SD card from the camera and inserted it to the card reader connected to my PC. The PC complained that it cannot read the card. I put the card back to the camera and the camera couldn't read it either. Eventually I gave up and formatted the card in camera after that. This happened to me once before the update too, it could be the card or the card reader but I'm not sure.

Another glitch was that after repeated short bursts (continuous M) with DA* 300 and HD DA 1.4x, suddenly the camera didn't fire. I thought that maybe the camera was writing the data to my card though the access lamp wasn't blinking, waited for 30 sec or so, but it still didn't come back, it even didn't AF. I switched the camera off and back on, and it worked right away. This happened to me a few times before the update, cannot remember the condition, though.
I have had the not firing in both my K-3 Mark III and my K-3. The only way I could get the going was to take the battery out. It doesn't happen very often, but it has happened to both. Not sure what is going on, but it reminds me of a computer screen freezing. Hopefully, for the K-3 Mark III, they will work those things out on future firmware updates. Can you, as a Beta tester, make suggestions/comments to aid in getting this solved? Have fun with the Astrotracer!

01-07-2022, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

not bad, with a 200mm lens I could shoot the pleiades for 90s without trailing, at 120s you see some but they are very high in the sky ~70deg
02-22-2022, 02:08 AM   #171
Pentaxian

So 1.40 has not been released as of yet?
02-22-2022, 02:20 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
So 1.40 has not been released as of yet?
The English support page Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING still shows v1.31 as the current download.

02-22-2022, 03:14 PM   #173

The English support page Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING still shows v1.31 as the current download.
There is beta 1.40 available in Japan.
I have written how to get the beta firmware (by just changing the URL for manual).

It is available as comment 166: OMG GPS-less astrotracing works! - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com
02-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
There is beta 1.40 available in Japan.
I have written how to get the beta firmware (by just changing the URL for manual).

It is available as comment 166: OMG GPS-less astrotracing works! - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

Unfortunately the manual is only in Japanese
02-23-2022, 12:54 AM   #175

Unfortunately the manual is only in Japanese
Use https://www.deepl.com/translator or Google Translate , like I do.
02-23-2022, 01:20 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Thank you
I wasn't aware one could translate pdf files!
02-23-2022, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I have a project for tonight to try to see if I can try it out on Friday.
03-04-2022, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest Firmware 1.41 now available to all!
03-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #179

I'm coming back to Pentax (my first 'real' camera was the original ME Super) after 30 years with Nikon and am into astrophotography. Considering either the K3-III (DX sensor) or the K1-II (FX sensor). Having read this thread, is the Astrotracer firmware only for the K3-III or can it be used on the K1-II? I realize the K1-II is getting 'long in the tooth," as well. Does this Astrotracer software work well in light polluted areas like near New York City? Is there a range of fixed focal length Pentax lenses that are considered optimal for AstroTracer? If I purchase either camera NEW here in the USA, will it now automatically come with Firmware v1.41?

Thank you for your patience with my questions.
03-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob5755 Quote
I'm coming back to Pentax (my first 'real' camera was the original ME Super) after 30 years with Nikon and am into astrophotography. Considering either the K3-III (DX sensor) or the K1-II (FX sensor). Having read this thread, is the Astrotracer firmware only for the K3-III or can it be used on the K1-II? I realize the K1-II is getting 'long in the tooth," as well. Does this Astrotracer software work well in light polluted areas like near New York City? Is there a range of fixed focal length Pentax lenses that are considered optimal for AstroTracer? If I purchase either camera NEW here in the USA, will it now automatically come with Firmware v1.41?

Thank you for your patience with my questions.
The GPS less Astrotracer is only on the K-3 Mark III. The K-1 Mark II has GPS in the body which requires calibration before you use Astrotracer. On the K-3 Mark III you don't need to calibrate anything.
Most likely when you purchase the camera it will need the newest firmware to be installed after purchase (just like when you purchase a smartphone).
The K-3 III Astrotracer officially recommended zoom lenses are the DA* 11-18, DA* 16-50 PLM and the HD DA 55-300 PLM. Any prime lens will work, but other zoom lenses can only be used at either the widest or longest focal length according to Pentax.
Link to PDF user guide for Astrotracer on K-3 III.
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/astrotracer-type3.pdf