Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K3iii video performance?

I know it's no point buying a Pentax camera for video, but I now want better video performance (technically) from my current equipment: a Pentax KP + a 50-135, a 55-300 PLM, and a few DA/FA limiteds. Aside from taking photos as I have always been doing, this year there has been a new need: I want to record daughter's performance: indoor swimming, year-end piano club, etc). The current gears are very good for still photos, but for video there are a few problems: so-so video quality, non-autofocus during the process (very annoying), and average anti-shake performance. Better than the wife's iPhone, but no more.

Do you think the K3iii offers a (much?) better video performance? I like the camera but have been happy enough with the KP so that I am still not ready to pay 2000e for a new camera. An actual upgrade over video, however, might seal the deal.

Or I'm thinking about the possibility of buying a non-Pentax camera which is supposed to be better than Pentax in term of video (Sony, Fuji etc) but I don't really want to maintain 2 different systems. Too expensive!

Or do you know a special list video camera that preferably has decent zoom range, quality, and not overly expensive?

Thank you.

12-12-2021, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not a video photographer, so take this for what it's worth
I'd suggest downloading a copy of the manual from Support | RICOH IMAGING and having a browse.
A/F is apparently available "with compatible lenses", but can't find reference to what those are
The non-tiltable rear screen may be a hindrance in video mode unless you're happy working on a tripod or holding a comparatively heavy camera out in front of you for extended periods of time.
Although the video specifications of the K-3iii seem to be fairly good on paper, the ergonomics of using it as a video camera don't appear to have been high on the list of priorities!
12-12-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-3 III is the best Pentax yet for video - 4k, and mechanical image stabilization, not electronic.

Your KP has neither of those features.
12-12-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

That reminds me. I really should try out the K3iii video some day.

12-12-2021, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is renting a video camera for a special occasion an option? I did with my kids on the odd occasion I wanted a video.
12-12-2021, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
I know it's no point buying a Pentax camera for video, but I now want better video performance (technically) from my current equipment: a Pentax KP + a 50-135, a 55-300 PLM, and a few DA/FA limiteds. Aside from taking photos as I have always been doing, this year there has been a new need: I want to record daughter's performance: indoor swimming, year-end piano club, etc). The current gears are very good for still photos, but for video there are a few problems: so-so video quality, non-autofocus during the process (very annoying), and average anti-shake performance. Better than the wife's iPhone, but no more.

Do you think the K3iii offers a (much?) better video performance? I like the camera but have been happy enough with the KP so that I am still not ready to pay 2000e for a new camera. An actual upgrade over video, however, might seal the deal.

Or I'm thinking about the possibility of buying a non-Pentax camera which is supposed to be better than Pentax in term of video (Sony, Fuji etc) but I don't really want to maintain 2 different systems. Too expensive!

Or do you know a special list video camera that preferably has decent zoom range, quality, and not overly expensive?

Thank you.
Check out the Panasonic bridge cameras, they do quite good video and are handy for snapshot stills when you dont want to take your Pentax gear.The 1inch sensor models work well.
12-12-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have only done a few tests (haven't even had my K3iii for a week yet), compared to previous models it is a tremendous improvement. I am eventually going to be using it on a tripod with my DA*300 to make videos of birds and other wildlife. The video it produces is very nice looking in both 4K and FHD. At FHD it uses the full sensor, at 4K there is ~1.3x crop which is workable for me. Image stabilization is good enough for handheld with wider lenses. None of the jagged edges and weird line skipping artifacts like K1 or K3 produced and no jello effect from moving the camera. The few recordings I made I used the flat profile and then ran them through some software to correct white balance and adjust contrast to taste. I have no video experience but I think that is what is referred to as colour grading... it worked well and the output after grading was still looking really nice. I know it's not going to be the most capable video camera but I intend to get the most I can out of it and first impressions are that it will work quite well. All it's really missing are flippy screen and continuous AF during record (I don't own any PLM lenses) so I will learn to manually pull focus which still seems to be the way for pro video anyway.

12-12-2021, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you.
Jordan at DPRTV was somewhat positive about the K-3 III's video performance, with the caveat that it *is* a Pentax after all.

Go to the 14:18 mark...

12-12-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I wonder if we Pentaxians are able to tell good video after all these years of mediocre one, lol.
I mean yeah, it could be stellar in OUR eyes...
12-13-2021, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you.
For what it is worth, I'll chime in. I have used K-3III for video too, and I do have other cameras for video also(Panasonic S5 and BMPCC4K).

First of all video is 8-bit from K-3III, it is not a bad thing in most scenarios. But it has restrictions. Have to keep your High lights under controll. 4K restriction is that 7-8 minutes record limit, but if you are behind the camera at all times, it is not a big deal after all.

AF with PLM should be alright, constant AF I mean. With other inmotor lenses, like SDM and DC you are able to use AF button to change your focuspoint with camera AF. I have noticed that while there is some hunting, it does actually get focused. I have Panasonic S5 and it is sometimes hunting even more and in dim light it might not even get the job done -> MF is the way to go.

I made this thread : Post your K-3III 4K and FHD videos! - PentaxForums.com

There you can actually see what I have learned from K-3III video. I did buy Panasonic S5 to get better 'hybrid' but also more video centric camera, which it is(but going to replace that with more video centric camera when budget allows, because I do not like to take photos with Panasonic so that 'hybrid' thing did fly out of window). Althou, video quality with Panasonic is very good.

Image quality of K-3III is stellar, video is okay. If you get exposure right and perferably use some stabilising system, i.e. tripod, gimbal, or even extra handle, which you can screw to tripodmount, it will give to you quite good material. it is not that good handheld, in fact i do think that no DSLR/MILC is that good hand held. But especially k-3III is not. You'll have to shoot atleast 30 FPS, preferably higher to get steady handheld material. I like 24 FPS...

If you are on the edge with K-3III and your needs are more like documenting etc. it is good enough. you can even get quite nice video actually. WB, Exposure and FPS all anglined well and you are good to go.

This is to me better hybrid than panasonic is, but this is just me.
12-16-2021, 01:40 AM   #11
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'd suggest downloading a copy of the manual from Support | RICOH IMAGING and having a browse.
A/F is apparently available "with compatible lenses", but can't find reference to what those are
Right, I believe "compatible lenses" here mean PLM lenses, I do have the 55-300 PLM however it's too slow for what I want to video (indoor sport and performance) so I'm stuck with either the old DA* 50-135 or the DA* 200, neither of them can autofocus with my KP during video.

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Is renting a video camera for a special occasion an option? I did with my kids on the odd occasion I wanted a video.
Thanks, it is a good solution, however not exactly applicable in where I live (very few options, and they're not exactly close). I also tend to want to own my equipments than rent, not very rational of course

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I have only done a few tests (haven't even had my K3iii for a week yet), compared to previous models it is a tremendous improvement. I am eventually going to be using it on a tripod with my DA*300 to make videos of birds and other wildlife. The video it produces is very nice looking in both 4K and FHD. At FHD it uses the full sensor, at 4K there is ~1.3x crop which is workable for me. Image stabilization is good enough for handheld with wider lenses. None of the jagged edges and weird line skipping artifacts like K1 or K3 produced and no jello effect from moving the camera. The few recordings I made I used the flat profile and then ran them through some software to correct white balance and adjust contrast to taste. I have no video experience but I think that is what is referred to as colour grading... it worked well and the output after grading was still looking really nice. I know it's not going to be the most capable video camera but I intend to get the most I can out of it and first impressions are that it will work quite well. All it's really missing are flippy screen and continuous AF during record (I don't own any PLM lenses) so I will learn to manually pull focus which still seems to be the way for pro video anyway.
Sounds like a real improvement, as I found the video quality of my KP and 50-135 combo is so-so (of course taking into account less than ideal condition, plus my limited video skill). Missing continuous AF, however, is bothering ...

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
For what it is worth, I'll chime in. I have used K-3III for video too, and I do have other cameras for video also(Panasonic S5 and BMPCC4K).

First of all video is 8-bit from K-3III, it is not a bad thing in most scenarios. But it has restrictions. Have to keep your High lights under controll. 4K restriction is that 7-8 minutes record limit, but if you are behind the camera at all times, it is not a big deal after all.

AF with PLM should be alright, constant AF I mean. With other inmotor lenses, like SDM and DC you are able to use AF button to change your focuspoint with camera AF. I have noticed that while there is some hunting, it does actually get focused. I have Panasonic S5 and it is sometimes hunting even more and in dim light it might not even get the job done -> MF is the way to go.

I made this thread : Post your K-3III 4K and FHD videos! - PentaxForums.com

There you can actually see what I have learned from K-3III video. I did buy Panasonic S5 to get better 'hybrid' but also more video centric camera, which it is(but going to replace that with more video centric camera when budget allows, because I do not like to take photos with Panasonic so that 'hybrid' thing did fly out of window). Althou, video quality with Panasonic is very good.

Image quality of K-3III is stellar, video is okay. If you get exposure right and perferably use some stabilising system, i.e. tripod, gimbal, or even extra handle, which you can screw to tripodmount, it will give to you quite good material. it is not that good handheld, in fact i do think that no DSLR/MILC is that good hand held. But especially k-3III is not. You'll have to shoot atleast 30 FPS, preferably higher to get steady handheld material. I like 24 FPS...

If you are on the edge with K-3III and your needs are more like documenting etc. it is good enough. you can even get quite nice video actually. WB, Exposure and FPS all anglined well and you are good to go.

This is to me better hybrid than panasonic is, but this is just me.
Thank you, very useful comment. The Panasonic S5 looks nice, but with its price being close to the K3iii, I will go for the later if I decide to invest.
12-16-2021, 02:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Right, I believe "compatible lenses" here mean PLM lenses, I do have the 55-300 PLM however it's too slow for what I want to video (indoor sport and performance) so I'm stuck with either the old DA* 50-135 or the DA* 200, neither of them can autofocus with my KP during video.

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:42 AM ----------

Thanks, it is a good solution, however not exactly applicable in where I live (very few options, and they're not exactly close). I also tend to want to own my equipments than rent, not very rational of course

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:46 AM ----------

Sounds like a real improvement, as I found the video quality of my KP and 50-135 combo is so-so (of course taking into account less than ideal condition, plus my limited video skill). Missing continuous AF, however, is bothering ...

---------- Post added 12-16-21 at 01:54 AM ----------

Thank you, very useful comment. The Panasonic S5 looks nice, but with its price being close to the K3iii, I will go for the later if I decide to invest.
No problem. S5 is nice. I'v bought it with 'kit' lens. And I'm looking at quite big investments IF I'd like to get better image quality and more options, like tele, or fast primes and high quality wide angle... So, as you said, it is expensive to run double system. Besides, even if FF has that FF look. it can be even more challenge, because of more narrow Dof. Super 35 is nice format, as well as m 4/3 is for video.

Pentax K-3III is still developing. So in the way you'll bet more, unless you want to go all the way to high quality video...
12-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #13

Video on the k3-iii is good, but unfotunately european frame rates are not supported (unlike the k3, which has this). No 25 or 50 fps. Disappointing. 🙁
12-17-2021, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arnie1 Quote
Video on the k3-iii is good, but unfotunately european frame rates are not supported (unlike the k3, which has this). No 25 or 50 fps. Disappointing. 🙁
While it is dissapointing, 30 FPS is preferred in youtube/internet, and will work everywhere. Just find correct shutterspeed to avoin flickering/banding. It is a pity, but it is not the end of the world
12-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #15
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally decided that I'm still not ready yet for the K3iii. 2k is a lot, and the K3iii, while being a substantial upgrade over my Kp, is not exactly my camera profile (I want small and compact camera, never shoot action, etc), indeed I want a KPii.

While waiting for further research and maybe better opportunities, for a temporary upgrade over my kits, for indoor performance daughter photos, I've just purchased a Sigma 70-200 (OS HSM version), it can replace both my DA* for this activity, offering better image quality (the 50-135 is weak at 135, not to mention 135 is sometimes too short), and flexibility (over the 200). For video, I just bought a used Sony camcorder last night for 250e, I know it will be a good upgrade for me because it can zoom with continuous focus, and video quality looks better than my KP's output.

Thanks a lot for your advices and comments.