Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K3iii and Godox Xpro P // Quick question

Hi everyone ! I did not noticed until yesterday that the AF assist beam of my Xpro P doesn't turn on to focus assist on my k3iii. I'm pretty sure it worked on my K70. Anyone experienced that too ?
It also deactivate the built in one of the camera, I tried different set up af assis on/off / af-s etc but to make the camera assist work I need to remove the flash controller. The af beam of the camera work when it's a simple manual flash ( single pin tt600)
It's not that dramatic but i'd like to know if it is an issue with my controller or just something that might get solved with a future firmware ( I updated x pro yesterday but it did not fix it)
If anyone experienced that we can conclude it's a firmware issue and hope it might be fixed. Thanks !

12-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen this discussed elsewhere so I fear that it is a "feature." Try a web search.
12-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
Hi everyone ! I did not noticed until yesterday that the AF assist beam of my Xpro P doesn't turn on to focus assist on my k3iii. I'm pretty sure it worked on my K70. Anyone experienced that too ?
Is the AF assist on the Xpro P turned on (switch on side)?

Even if turned off, it appears to be a pattern with Godox for Pentax, that if a 5P shoe is detected, the on-camera AF assist is overridden. A Pentax-brand flash will behave similarly, though AF assist is always on with those.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-25-2021 at 11:24 AM.
12-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi mikesul, I only found similar issue with other brand where they fixed it with firmware update.
If I recall correctly with my k70 it had a red pattern that was pretty effective to assist the focus, I'll try it tomorrow.
@stevebrot yes I turnet the assist on on the controller, and on and off since there is no feeling of something clicking like on some button I though it might that I didn't push it to the end course

08-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
It also deactivate the built in one of the camera, I tried different set up af assis on/off / af-s etc but to make the camera assist work I need to remove the flash controller. The af beam of the camera work when it's a simple manual flash ( single pin tt600)
It's not that dramatic but i'd like to know if it is an issue with my controller or just something that might get solved with a future firmware ( I updated x pro yesterday but it did not fix it)
If anyone experienced that we can conclude it's a firmware issue and hope it might be fixed. Thanks !
It would be greatly appreciated if you can advise the Godox Pro-P transmitter functionality with 3rd party flash units, operating with the K-3iii. I have two Metz Pentax compatible flash guns. These could be operated wirelessly by my K-3, but the K-3iii does not appear to have this function. However from the K-3iii manual, wireless communication is available with Pentax flash units. Hence the interest in the Godox Pro-P. Does the Godox transmitter only fully communicate with Godox lights and flash units, or is limited functionality available with 3rd party Pentax compatible flash units. Looking forward to your opinion, in light of your Godox experience.
08-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only with Godox and Flashpoint. I think Godox does produce a receiver for certain 3rd party flashes.
08-10-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
It would be greatly appreciated if you can advise the Godox Pro-P transmitter functionality with 3rd party flash units, operating with the K-3iii. I have two Metz Pentax compatible flash guns. These could be operated wirelessly by my K-3, but the K-3iii does not appear to have this function. However from the K-3iii manual, wireless communication is available with Pentax flash units. Hence the interest in the Godox Pro-P. Does the Godox transmitter only fully communicate with Godox lights and flash units, or is limited functionality available with 3rd party Pentax compatible flash units. Looking forward to your opinion, in light of your Godox experience.
Wireless flash on the K-3 III is the same as it is for the K-1/II. You need to have a Pentax flash mounted to the hotshoe and all wireless transmission would be set in the flash itself. The Pentax wireless system works by sending light signals to another Pentax flash (or a Yongnuo 585 which is the only 3rd party flash that understands the Pentax wireless protocol).
Wireless communication in the K-3 III manual if I recall correctly is for GPS and image sync through wifi and Bluetooth where the "Wireless Communication Device" would be a tablet or smartphone (I haven't looked at the manual in quite a while).

Godox is an entire lighting system, from flashes to strobes. The triggers work on the Godox X-wireless protocol and only work with other Godox wireless lighting equipment (Godox X1T, X2T p, X-Pro p, TT350 p, V1 p, V 860 III p). There are other Godox flashes in canon and Nikon protocol that will also work but only when fired wirelessly by an X2T p or X-Pro p after doing a firmware update on those flashes.
TT685 etc.
Flashpoint by Adorama is just rebranded Godox.
Here is the page with all the Godox firmware updates.
Download - Godox - studio photography equipment, pocket, portable flashes to professional lighting solutions Godox – studio photography equipment, pocket, portable flashes to professional lighting solutions

Last edited by Kobie; 08-12-2022 at 07:05 AM.
08-12-2022, 04:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Wireless flash on the K-3 III is the same as it is for the K-1/II. You need to have a Pentax flash mounted to the hotshoe and all wireless transmission would be et in the flash itself. The Pentax wireless system works by sending light signals to another Pentax flash (or a Yongnuo 585 which is the only 3rd party flash that understands the Pentax wireless protocol).
Wireless communication in the K-3 III manual if I recall correctly is for GPS and image sync through wifi and Bluetooth where the "Wireless Communication Device" would be a tablet or smartphone (I haven't looked at the manual in quite a while).

Godox is an entire lighting system, from flashes to strobes. The triggers work on the Godox X-wireless protocol and only work with other Godox wireless lighting equipment (Godox X1T, X2T p, X-Pro p, TT350 p, V1 p, V 860 III p). There are other Godox flashes in canon and Nikon protocol that will also work but only when fired wirelessly by an X2T p or X-Pro p after doing a firmware update on those flashes.
TT685 etc.
Flashpoint by Adorama is just rebranded Godox.
Here is the page with all the Godox firmware updates.
Download - Godox - studio photography equipment, pocket, portable flashes to professional lighting solutions Godox – studio photography equipment, pocket, portable flashes to professional lighting solutions
Kobie, many thanks for feedback on Godox kit. I can arrange my Metz flash guns with one on the K-3iii camera to optically trigger the 2nd flash. For remote wireless triggering however, it looks like the Godox X Pro P transmitter is required on camera and Godox receivers required on the flash units. It is also not clear if the Godox receiver/Metz flash combination will give full functionality such as HSS, trailing curtain, etc. As I currently use the flash units fairly infrequently, it is not presently worth the investment of a transmitter and two receivers.
5 Days Ago   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Robert ! Just to clarify, most godox flash have a built in receiver/ wifi connection. I have the xpro-p and tt600 flashes, and the controller is able to trigger the flashes trough wifi and do hss, (no ttl as the flash don't support it)