Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

I find viewfinder of K-3III is quite hard to use

I find it is quite hard to see my AF point(s) in the viewfinder under dark situation.

And I realise that the viewfinder illumination dun even light up if the camera is set at AFC.

Is it just me having this problem ? Any chance Ricoh will fix it by firmware update ?

Last edited by Hayashi; 12-27-2021 at 04:10 PM.
12-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, other users have reported a similar issue.

For example, see this post and the thread: K3-iii Focus Point in OVF - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
12-26-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The trick is to look where the camera is going to be focusing while selecting your focus point.
When you are selecting the focus point, the points light up showing you where it's going to focus.

12-26-2021, 08:18 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I set the viewfinder light to the operation lock fx button. It's very handy. The idea came from Pentax K-3 Mark III Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

12-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I set the viewfinder light to the operation lock fx button. It's very handy. The idea came from Pentax K-3 Mark III Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Yes, I put that hint to work as soon as it was mentioned. Helpful.
12-27-2021, 02:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
I find it is quite hard to see my AF point(s) in the viewfinder under dark situation.

And I release that the viewfinder illumination dun even light up if the camera is set at AFC.

Is it just me having this problem ? Any chance Ricoh will fix it by firmware update ?
Yes, it is a known issue from the start. I do not use OVF in dark or against dark subjects, just switch to LV and shoot in zombie mode. This is very serious design bug, on of very few that K-3 Mk III has in my opinion.

As for "fix" it seems that is it sort of Pentax "feel" so a feature not a bug. Otherwise with all complaints over YT it would have been fixed long time ago. Or maybe it is not software but hardware issue so not fixable at all. If it is software then maybe K-1 Mk III will have it resolved differently and solution will trickle down to K-3 Mk III but I doubt it. I am not holding my breath waiting for it.
12-27-2021, 03:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And I release that the viewfinder illumination dun even light up if the camera is set at AFC.

Unfortunately it's a hardware issue, so effectively by design
The a/f points in the viewfinder are on an LCD overlay, so effectively monochrome and cannot be individually lit in a different colour.
Previous cameras performed this function using individual LEDs.
It's possible the design of the new optical viewfinder and prism meant this was not an option.
Personally, I'm a bit "old school", I almost always use central a/f point only, choosing what I want in focus then holding that and re-framing as required … a bit "old dog, new tricks"

12-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you very very much !!

That helps a lot

But the viewfinder still doesn't light up under AFC setting, I do wish ricoh can do something about this

Last edited by Hayashi; 12-27-2021 at 09:00 AM.
12-27-2021, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you very very much !!

That helps a lot

But the viewfinder still doesn't light up under AFC setting, I really wish ricoh can do something about this !

The focus point indicator doesn't illuminate, but the "Green Hexagon" does. When using single-point a/f I find this to be totally adequate.
12-27-2021, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The viewfinder does light under AFC, select. Assign one of the FZ buttons to Viewfinder Light and you can always have it quickly. It lights up the selected points before you shoot but goes off when the shutter is released. Green Hexagon confirms focus. Not as nice as earlier implementations but it hasn't bothered me much.

Edit: I checked again and there is light for Auto as well as Select. It is on long enough to see where the grid is set.

Last edited by Mikesul; 12-27-2021 at 11:24 AM.
12-27-2021, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still want a K-3 III anyway.
12-28-2021, 01:00 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

And I realise that the viewfinder illumination dun even light up if the camera is set at AFC.

So your problem is with the AF points not showing clearly in the viewfinder. With all due respect, the title of this thread "I find viewfinder of K-3III is quite hard to use" is misleading and couldn't be any more wrong than that. The K-3iii viewfinder is the best one I've seen in a DSLR and it is even better than the one in FF K-1. Just pointing that out because there might be Pentaxians interested in the camera that could be confused...
Concerning the AF points illumination I've also find it difficult to track which one is in use when AF-C and more than one are selected, but I came to the conclusion that this happens because the K-3iii is very fast focusing in comparison with previous Pentax cameras and it has smaller AF points. Then I realized that the AF was nailing focus in most cases and stopped worrying about not seeing the AF points as the images were spot on! All you have to do is select the correct AF mode to your kind of photography and let the camera do the job. The superb clarity and high definition of the VF also makes it easy to understand whether the focus is on your subject.
12-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I still want a K-3 III anyway.
No wonder, it is very good camera and very pleasant to use. I am just taking it on city walk with 15mm Limited on 😋

Still not highlighting its drawbacks makes Pentax and Ricoh disservice making illusion that it is perfect when it is not. Which may lead to disappointments after buy and turning away from company.
12-28-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Wow I'm glad I read through this and saw this idea. I'm definitely going to try it!
12-30-2021, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Updated from the K5IIs - I think the VF is actually great, a lot easier to see the level and the setting in bright sunlight than the older ones
And the electronic frame-lines are great, much easier than buying focusing screens