Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 303 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2022, 04:26 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Forum Member

K-3 III fixed screen

I am learning how to use the K-3 III and unfortunately come across many reviews and tutorials on the internet which I feel get mired on the fixed screen versus articulating screen as a sticking point. Even here, on the forums, this view persists.

My perspective is that the K-3 III fixed screen actually has a very wide angle of view and I use it as such. I appreciate not having to pull out an articulating screen just to see a live view. The K-3 III back screen angle of view is pretty good!

For perspective, I also use a K-70 with articulating screen, for certain purposes like macro.

My point is, the K-3 III is a great all-around camera with lower weight and size (for all the capability) and I am glad they made it that way.

01-04-2022, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #2

I had been on a K-1 for 5 years before switching to K-3III last year.

It's true that I'm not doing very well with the fix screen of K-3III

But generally I think K-3III is good choice, unless you really need that much of 36MP output
01-04-2022, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 125px Quote

My perspective is that the K-3 III fixed screen actually has a very wide angle of view and I use it as such. I appreciate not having to pull out an articulating screen just to see a live view.
Why would you need to pull out an articulating screen to see live view?
01-04-2022, 05:35 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Why would you need to pull out an articulating screen to see live view?
Exactly this question came to mind.

Also a tilt screen is very different from an articulated screen. Most of us who complained wanted a mini k-1 screen or a tilt mechanism like the KP or perhaps the Sony A99. Tilt screens offer waist level mechanical options that no wide view fixed screen can. The wide view screen also won’t let me look straight up into the downward pointing screen when shooting over a crowd. Live tethering via WiFi is awkward but allows a hands and knees shot to become a tripod or bean bag shot and a comfortable photog relaxing nearby controlling the camera. So fixed screen isn’t the end of the story but it really puts me off. I’m also not a big fan of fully articulated screens.

01-04-2022, 06:52 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

It's the reason I didn't buy the K-3 III and chose to stick with the KP in the Pentax world.

Being a keen hiker, and having several Olympus weather sealed lenses, I used the money to buy an Olympus EM1 III instead (for it's portability, IBIS, weathersealing, burst rate, accurate focusing, and... fully articulated screen). I'm neutral regarding EVF/OVF.

That said, I don't think I'd ever sell my K-5II or old Pentax lenses. But the K-3 III without an articulating screen just wasn't compelling enough at $2000.
01-04-2022, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Pentax just released a video interview with a photographer which explains some of the thinking of not having a tilt screen. It basically said that it's part of their commitment to the OVF experience.

I'm not sure the explanation make a lot of sense, but it's good to see Pentax doing something to market the benefits of SLR cameras.

This video is in Japanese, but it seems to be partly targeted at English speakers. The translation you get when you click the CC button is pretty natural.

01-04-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Pentax just released a video interview with a photographer which explains some of the thinking of not having a tilt screen. It basically said that it's part of their commitment to the OVF experience.

I'm not sure the explanation make a lot of sense, but it's good to see Pentax doing something to market the benefits of SLR cameras.

This video is in Japanese, but it seems to be partly targeted at English speakers. The translation you get when you click the CC button is pretty natural.

https://youtu.be/gM8coKJ__4o
The rationale seems to be in similar vein to Fuji's with the release of the X-Pro 3, which has an LCD for live view but it must be opened before it is available. Fuji wanted to emphasize shooting in a "traditional" way, with the eye to the viewfinder.

01-04-2022, 08:24 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter

There's no excuse for a flagship $2k camera not having a articulating rear screen.

I don't understand why anyone would argue in favour of a fixed screen.

/whatever
01-04-2022, 08:29 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

https://youtu.be/gM8coKJ__4o
There's another thread discussing this that I recently commented in, but in short, my position is that the camera is a photographic tool. The OVF experience is quite a treat in the Mark III, however the lack of an articulating screen simply limits the camera placement for more creative shots when one can't easily see it.
01-04-2022, 08:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I've mentioned it before, but I was pleasantly surprised at the size and viewing angle on the K3 iii. I often take low shots of children and animals, and have had no problems composing and identifying focus points. FWIW, I had preferred the tilt screen of the KP than the articulating screen of the K-S2.
01-04-2022, 09:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won’t say I won’t but one some day. But I will say I was a potential customer and I elected to buy the KP.

I will say that they have reasonable explanations for the why including greater distance from the screen to the photographers face to allow a better ovf experience. I don’t doubt this was their reasoning. I suspect that if this camera was available to me for hands on evaluation it could win me over. But with Covid-19 and the lack of brick and mortar stores carrying Pentax in my area… the opportunity to evaluate this feature is rather limited.

On the other hand… renting might be an option. $119 a week. I’ll need a specific photographic opportunity to make it worth the option.
01-04-2022, 09:06 PM - 4 Likes   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

I think they are hearing more complaints from users than they expected. That is why they are including this kind of explanation in their video. They'll probably think twice before they leave out this feature in future.

I've never had a camera with a tilt screen, and I honestly don't find the idea very appealing. It would just detract from the apparent strength of the camera body. I find the design of bodies with lots of folding and extending parts rather messy (including flash and pop-up viewfinders. Haing said that, I value live view for shooting above crowds and at low angles. I've just never had a problem doing this while looking at the screen from an angle. I've done this on GR cameras and the K-01 for years, and the K-3 III seems to be even easier because of the viewing angle and better live view in general (though I've only had it for two days).

I can see Pentax's dilemma. They have the simple tilt screen on the KP, but that lacks movement. They have the fold out type on the K-70, but that takes the screen off the axis of the lens and is unacceptable for a high-end stills camera. Then they have the cross-tilt monitor, which is great, but adds a lot of thickness. I guess the KP type would have been the most practical one to add for an APS-C camera, but I'm fine without it.

For what it's worth, I was asked by Ricoh/Pentax to complete a survey about future DSLR features recently, and I made a comment that they should include a tilt screen in their future cameras. That was on behalf of others, because I don't care myself.

Last edited by JPT; 01-05-2022 at 12:05 AM.
01-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

There's a YouTube photographer I follow who is really engaged with street photography.

This scene from his latest video is a good example of where the flippy screen comes in handy and I thought it was relevant here:

https://youtu.be/bf8F3dggktU?t=164
01-04-2022, 10:34 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
There's a YouTube photographer I follow who is really engaged with street photography.

This scene from his latest video is a good example of where the flippy screen comes in handy and I thought it was relevant here:

https://youtu.be/bf8F3dggktU?t=164
Doing night street photo often myself, it is particularly a very good thing to have for night street photo. Many times, it is just impossible to do an extreme angle without a tilt screen because you don't have a luxury of time and more often the space on actual street. IMO, whoever behind the decision doesn't seem to care much about this gene until one day they care, which is very much like their views on FF DSLR back before the K1 days.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Well, they will do what they want to do. It has always been this way. Better get used to or use the older camera with such screen or else, and I am seriously considering my own advice too.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 01-04-2022 at 10:46 PM.
01-05-2022, 12:42 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't get why they fixed the screen. If I was in the market for a K3iii it wouldn't be a deal breaker but I would miss the extra little bit of versatility. It would be like buying a car without cruise. I rarely use it but its there when i need it. Other than milimetres of thickness I see no gain from a fixed screen. I am use to a fixed screen on my K3 classic but really appreciate the flip screen on the KP and never see it as a negative. I wonder how many people didn't buy or weren't happy with the KP because of its screen, probably far less than object to the design of the K3iii