Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2022, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I seem to be in a minority here (nothing unusual!) … I bought the K-3iii as a "a/f upgrade", knowing full well I'd miss the fully articulated screen on the K-70, but as I wasn't trading it in I'd have that to fall back to when necessary.
I also have the Ref A right-angle finder from my film days, which has always come in useful, when necessary, on all my cameras.
One of the problems of increasing age (as many are probably aware) is the lengthening of the closest distance one can focus one's eyes unaided.
Struggling to read the detail on a rear screen is one reason I continue to prefer an eye-level viewfinder.
Weirdly, I rarely use the tilt screen on the KP and I'm really not sure why

01-05-2022, 02:20 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

because of the screen I am hoping in KP II. For some scenes when the camera is lying on the ground, it is very useful.
01-05-2022, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have said this before, and say it again. I have not missed articulated screen one bit with my K-3III. I have k-1, and that moonlander popped out too far once. It is handy, but at low angle you have to be on your knees anyway to be able to see what happens on that screen. I also have Panasonic S5(for video, as well as BMPCC 4K which has big fixed screen btw), I really can't see what is going on in that panasonic screen. An's I'm afraid to perhaps break it. I always prefer bigger screen insead(which i have) but that is for video and it is extra bulk.

View angle of that quite big screen of k-3III is so wide that I can see almost as much from it than I do with K-1 moonlander screen.

absolutelly biggest thing is that I don't have to worry breaking that screen. Even if I'm careful, I still go in places to get the best angle for my shot and it can be rough.

Sure, many has and will complain about lack of it. I'm happy to have it. As well as I'm very happy about that OVF and prefer it over any screen(why we use DSLR right?)
01-05-2022, 02:54 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Those were the days....

Where are those days when you gladly lay down on the dewed grass or a muddy path looking through that fabulous optical viewfinder to take that beautiful picture of that flower, insect or whatever? In filmdays you did not have a tilting, articulating or flippy screen. In the beginning of digital camera's you didn't have it either. So what is the fuzz all about. Are we photographers or are we grumpy old men?

01-05-2022, 03:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Where are those days when you gladly lay down on the dewed grass or a muddy path looking through that fabulous optical viewfinder to take that beautiful picture of that flower, insect or whatever? In filmdays you did not have a tilting, articulating or flippy screen. In the beginning of digital camera's you didn't have it either. So what is the fuzz all about. Are we photographers or are we grumpy old men?
hmmm....who does your laundry?
01-05-2022, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Agreed! Also when your client sees that you are willing and happy to get on your belly for great shots, they’ll be happy to pay you.
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I’m doing my laundry, and usually have gear which can take some dirt not just the camera
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
hmmm....who does your laundry?
01-05-2022, 03:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Pentax just released a video interview with a photographer which explains some of the thinking of not having a tilt screen. It basically said that it's part of their commitment to the OVF experience.

I'm not sure the explanation make a lot of sense, but it's good to see Pentax doing something to market the benefits of SLR cameras.

This video is in Japanese, but it seems to be partly targeted at English speakers. The translation you get when you click the CC button is pretty natural.

The viewfinder on the K-3III is so good that I have never used the rear screen for anything other than reviewing images after the shot. On the K-3 I often used the rear screen for critical focusing. While an articulated screen can be useful in weird shooting positions, I don't see many images where it is apparent that they are shot that way. Besides, I wonder how these people managed in the film days......

01-05-2022, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Why not use the K3 IIi with the Image Sync app or a field monitor? I use both for low level shots and can do so whilst standing. Much better on my knees and back rather than crouching to see a tilting screen.
01-05-2022, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
There's no excuse for a flagship $2k camera not having a articulating rear screen.

I don't understand why anyone would argue in favour of a fixed screen.

/whatever
Tell that to Nikon and Canon. As far as I can tell neither of those companies pro DSLR cameras have flip screens and they cost several times the price of the K-3III. The K-3III seems to be in line with flagship DSLR ethos in this regard.
Flip screen on DSLR's seems to be a feature for amateurs and videoshooters....
01-05-2022, 04:29 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Tell that to Nikon and Canon. As far as I can tell neither of those companies pro DSLR cameras have flip screens and they cost several times the price of the K-3III. The K-3III seems to be in line with flagship DSLR ethos in this regard.
Flip screen on DSLR's seems to be a feature for amateurs and videoshooters....
Canon and Nikon are phasing out their Pro DSLR's.
They will still sell lower end models for a while, for amateurs you know.
01-05-2022, 04:33 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Canon and Nikon are phasing out their Pro DSLR's.
They will still sell lower end models for a while, for amateurs you know.
But Pentax is not. You could ask Nikon and Canon why they haven't provided their DSLR's with articulated screen in their more than $2000 flagship cameras. It can't be for space, weight or cost reasons...
01-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
For what it's worth, I was asked by Ricoh/Pentax to complete a survey about future DSLR features recently, and I made a comment that they should include a tilt screen in their future cameras. That was on behalf of others, because I don't care myself.
Is this survey accessible to general public, or was it sent to select few?
01-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Is this survey accessible to general public, or was it sent to select few?
It was a follow-up survey to the online anniversary event I attended, so this one went only to the people who registered for that event and attended.
01-05-2022, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The viewfinder on the K-3III is so good that I have never used the rear screen for anything other than reviewing images after the shot. On the K-3 I often used the rear screen for critical focusing. While an articulated screen can be useful in weird shooting positions, I don't see many images where it is apparent that they are shot that way. Besides, I wonder how these people managed in the film days......
Chimney instead of pentaprism (I miss my Practica VLC in this regard) for example. Besides if modern tech allows for movable screen and help with composing in this way that takes a lot of strain from photographer then why should we not get it?

I do not miss tiltscreen, in most cases view angles on screen are good enough and using viewfinder even on tripod is a treat unless I am too short to reach it or I set it up really low. But I do use rear screen and I would like to have tilt screen in times where I do not have phone mount and need to take a shot in wet/dirty conditions or at really weird angles.
01-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
There's a YouTube photographer I follow who is really engaged with street photography.

This scene from his latest video is a good example of where the flippy screen comes in handy and I thought it was relevant here:

https://youtu.be/bf8F3dggktU?t=164

Um.... I scanned through this vid and his camera had a flip out screen...but he never flipped it out. Advantage mk III !!!