Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2022, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If a thread doesn't interest you just stop reading it. There are thousands of threads on this site why read the ones you find uninteresting?

Calling for threads to be moderated because you personally find them tiresome is outrageous.
Sure, but it is odd to buy a camera without a feature that one find indispensable (apparently) and then complain about the lack of said feature in retrospect.
The fact remain that you cannot please them all in camera with design goal restrictions in terms of built quality, size and cost. A top-of-the-line APS body fill a certain niche for a company that also offer FF in a similar price range.

06-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Here is a suggestion to the Moderators........Please, Please, Please closed this worthless thread. It has gotten totally tiresome seeing all the ways people can complain about a problem that they were perfectly aware of BEFORE they made their purchase decision. This thread has gotten laughable.

I've mentioned it before but apparently I should bring it up again - I already had a set of Pentax lenses and a K5. (Before that it was a K10D, so I'm not at all new to the Pentax world). After a bit of a photography hobby hiatus, I bought the K3-3 to try and rekindle my joy for it. At the time I bought it, I was more interested primarily in better AF and hadn't considered the pros/cons that an articulated screen would have. As I started shooting more and getting more exposure (pun intended) with various photography genres via YouTube, etc... it became apparent that the flippy screen was a factor I didn't consider fully.

I don't know who the target buyer for the K3-3 is and what cameras they already have, but in the middle of the mirrorless growth explosion, I'm willing to bet Pentax was intending for it to be not a camera to bring new people to Pentax, but rather to keep Pentaxians from switching systems. It's rare that I meet a fellow Pentaxian in the wild in my town. The cameras and lenses are nowhere to be found in local stores - any Pentax purchase is online only here. The only person I know with a Pentax (K-3) gave it to his daughter and bought a Canon 5D Mark 4 with a 100-400 lens because the Pentax AF was terrible for his birding.

I'd like to see Pentax be successful - this means they need to come a little closer to the competitors with features that expand the platform's ability to be a creative tool, not just a camera.
06-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #228
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is a suggestion to the Moderators........Please, Please, Please closed this worthless thread. It has gotten totally tiresome seeing all the ways people can complain about a problem that they were perfectly aware of BEFORE they made their purchase decision. This thread has gotten laughable.
Your post is both laughable and worthless.

It only contributes to the stagnantion of this community.
06-06-2022, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote

So complaining about a camera because it doesn't have the features that you knew it didn't have when you bought it doesn't contribute to the stagnation of this community?? That is truly laughable!! Buying a camera and then carping about the features that it doesn't have when you knew it didn't have the features is worthless and contributes nothing to this community. If it does please tell me exactly how it contributes anything at all to the community other than a platform for some to continue to grumble about non existent features.

Have a nice day

06-06-2022, 08:47 PM - 4 Likes   #230
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Larrymc Quote

So complaining about a camera because it doesn't have the features that you knew it didn't have when you bought it doesn't contribute to the stagnation of this community?? That is truly laughable!! Buying a camera and then carping about the features that it doesn't have when you knew it didn't have the features is worthless and contributes nothing to this community. If it does please tell me exactly how it contributes anything at all to the community other than a platform for some to continue to grumble about non existent features.

Have a nice day
Hey guys. Lets keep it friendly please.

House has said it rather well:
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If a thread doesn't interest you just stop reading it. There are thousands of threads on this site why read the ones you find uninteresting?

Calling for threads to be moderated because you personally find them tiresome is outrageous.
If you don't care for a topic, then go read something else. Of course, I find all the carping about the lack of tilt screen rather a waste of space too, but perhaps that's because the only time I pull the K-1's neat little moon lander out of it's docked position is if I'm feeling bored.
06-07-2022, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #231
Pentaxian

A K-3 of any kind has never had a “flippy”.
In over three years of use I have used my KP’s ‘flippy’ on only one occasion.
I don’t see how ‘stagnation’ is created by pointing out that photographing mushrooms makes poor use of the K-3iii strengths.
If I could afford a K-3iii, I wouldn’t even notice it doesn’t have a ‘flippy’ LCD -
I’d be too busy using that wonderful OVF.

Last edited by reh321; 06-07-2022 at 04:31 AM.
06-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A K-3 of any kind has never had a “flippy”.

[...]

I’d be too busy using that wonderful OVF.
A K-3 of any kind has never had such a large, wonderful OFV. Why start with the K3-3?

06-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
A K-3 of any kind has never had such a large, wonderful OFV. Why start with the K3-3?
Simple answer, My Friend. The large viewfinder makes shooting with it much more pleasurable the way Ricoh/Pentax intended it to be. They even stated that in their advertising and promotion of the Mk III from the beginning. They wanted photographers to experience the viewfinder and they delivered a camera built for just that purpose.
06-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Simple answer, My Friend. The large viewfinder makes shooting with it much more pleasurable the way Ricoh/Pentax intended it to be.
Trust me, I get that. But getting on eye-level with your subject can create pleasing and more creative photos, and in the case of animals can create much nicer background separation.

So as good as the OVF is, unless your subject is 6 feet tall the OVF doesn't do squat to aid in creative composition.

But I highlight the comment 'previous versions of the K3 didn't have a flippy screen' - previous versions of the K3 didn't have lots of things the K3-3 has. Improvements are made by adding features. Using that logic we'd still be on the first K3.
06-07-2022, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #235
Pentaxian

Trust me, I get that. But getting on eye-level with your subject can create pleasing and more creative photos, and in the case of animals can create much nicer background separation.

So as good as the OVF is, unless your subject is 6 feet tall the OVF doesn't do squat to aid in creative composition.

But I highlight the comment 'previous versions of the K3 didn't have a flippy screen' - previous versions of the K3 didn't have lots of things the K3-3 has. Improvements are made by adding features. Using that logic we'd still be on the first K3.
No, because no versions of the K3 were for photographing mushrooms.
The artists who would benefit most from low/high views have the K-1 series and it’s ‘moonlander’.
Those who benefit from the K-3’s prism and focusing will look through the OVF.
06-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #236
Pentaxian

No, because no versions of the K3 were for photographing mushrooms.
The artists who would benefit most from low/high views have the K-1 series and it’s ‘moonlander’.
Those who benefit from the K-3’s prism and focusing will look through the OVF.
How many bodies/platforms should a photographer keep around for different purposes?

It's just silly to say 'because it's always been this way, it should always remain this way'. Using the logic that the K3 never had a flip screen also means you believe the K3-3 shouldn't have improved OVF, or AF, or anything it did better than its predecessor.
06-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #237
Pentaxian

How many bodies/platforms should a photographer keep around for different purposes?

It's just silly to say 'because it's always been this way, it should always remain this way'. Using the logic that the K3 never had a flip screen also means you believe the K3-3 shouldn't have improved OVF, or AF, or anything it did better than its predecessor.
No. No. No.

The K-3iii has things needed by action photographers - a better view and better focusing are completely appropriate.
If a photographer wants to follow Ansel Adams's example, only then might a K-1 also be appropriate.
It is like Nikon's having both the D800 and the D500.
I have both a KP and a "Q", because the KP is too heavy to lug around with me, but it does have a viewfinder and gives better pictures.

I'm glad I had it when my wife saw a little amphibian in the dimness of our kitchen
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/442830-nature-nature-kitchen.html

Last edited by reh321; 06-07-2022 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added comment about amphibian
06-07-2022, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep around the ones that work best for you. That is the obvious answer to your question and since the Mk III is not capable of fitting your stated purpose find a different camera that will fit your wants. Surely there is someone shooting a KP or a K-70 who might do a camera swap with you. Barring that you can keep on being miserable.
06-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #239
Pentaxian

No. No. No.

The K-3iii has things needed by action photographers - a better view and better focusing are completely appropriate.
If a photographer wants to follow Ansel Adams's example, only then might a K-1 also be appropriate.
Ok, building my kit here. We're up to a K1-II for landscapes, animals and water birds, providing they don't move too much due to the lackluster AF and slow FPS. The K3-3 for 'action' providing you're using a new PLM lens that can keep up with the focus drive speed. I suppose that leaves the Sony A7-III/IV for portraits as that's the only hope you have of keeping the subject's closest eye in focus while paying attention to composition.

So that's three bodies to carry around now. What am I missing?
06-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #240
Pentaxian

Ok, building my kit here. We're up to a K1-II for landscapes, animals and water birds, providing they don't move too much due to the lackluster AF and slow FPS. The K3-3 for 'action' providing you're using a new PLM lens that can keep up with the focus drive speed. I suppose that leaves the Sony A7-III/IV for portraits as that's the only hope you have of keeping the subject's closest eye in focus while paying attention to composition.

So that's three bodies to carry around now. What am I missing?
I wouldn't need a Sony, but that is up to you.
If Pentax would only release a "Q" with a viewfinder, I could get by with only that camera - but they won't.
When I went out to photograph trains this morning, I took only the KP - carry only tools needed for the task at hand.
I suspect most photographers already know whether they are interested in action or landscape before they leave their vehicle.