Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2022, 05:48 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

The reason why I use an SLR camera along with mirrorless models - Takuma Kimura

Here's another evidence video. It is as candid as ever - no other camera manufacturer would ever let people speak their minds as much as Ricoh allows with Pentax. Compelling viewing as ever.

Bravo Ricoh.

01-05-2022, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing, it was interesting to watch. To summarize my takeaway, sounded like the hobby camera even for professionals, not a bad place to be imho. I'm glad to see Ricoh's channel post videos with more polished production, subtitles.
01-05-2022, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting video. I wonder if he takes more than one camera to each session.
At one time I carried a Pentax for stills and a Sony for video - the user interfaces were so different it was difficult to switch back and forth as needs arose.
01-05-2022, 07:53 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. Interesting that the things he uses his Sony and Olympus for, I don't do. But I'm all over what he does with his Katie. You could clone me into his position near the waterfall, and nothing would be out of place. Mind you, I use a K-1 for what he uses his K-3 for. My K-3 tends to be a birding/wildlife camera. But apart from that, I also frequently come back soaked with a wet camera. and complete peace of mind about it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2022 at 09:03 AM.
01-05-2022, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice video, it is unusual for a company to feature competitor's products in this way. It was interesting near the end of the video when he talked about the viewfinders on medium format cameras and compared that to the KP. I don't think the KP's viewfinder is nearly as good as the K-3III, but it is good and maybe that's where he started with Pentax? They didn't "black out" the Black Rapid logo either, so they got a free plug.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 01-05-2022 at 04:14 PM.
01-05-2022, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

For me to summarize the video is that he clearly puts out that his Pentax/SLR pushes him to master the cameras technical advantages, where de mirrorless cameras work more in a 'what you see, is what you get' mode.

What I recognize is the eagerness to focus manually with the KP. I love that in my search for my composition and focuspoints while working.
01-05-2022, 05:49 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fascinating video. It's hard to imagine another camera maker promoting a discussion of the pros and cons of their product and rival products. He doesn't quite say that he dislikes the fixed screen on the K-3iii or that Pentax video sucks but he implies it. But that just makes the description of what he loves about the Pentax DSLR more powerful. No-one could ever accuse him of being just a marketer.

I have to say that the Five Principles of Pentax (PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING) sounded to me as bland as any corporate mission statement. But this video breathes life into it.

I don't use a mirrorless camera (except my phone or my Pentax DSLRs in LiveView!) so I can't say whether the difference between using OVF and EVF has as great an effect on the approach to photography as he suggests. I'm so used to using an OVF that I take it for granted. Maybe I shouldn't.

01-06-2022, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Fascinating video. It's hard to imagine another camera maker promoting a discussion of the pros and cons of their product and rival products. He doesn't quite say that he dislikes the fixed screen on the K-3iii or that Pentax video sucks but he implies it. But that just makes the description of what he loves about the Pentax DSLR more powerful. No-one could ever accuse him of being just a marketer.

I have to say that the Five Principles of Pentax (PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING) sounded to me as bland as any corporate mission statement. But this video breathes life into it.

I don't use a mirrorless camera (except my phone or my Pentax DSLRs in LiveView!) so I can't say whether the difference between using OVF and EVF has as great an effect on the approach to photography as he suggests. I'm so used to using an OVF that I take it for granted. Maybe I shouldn't.
You made some good points Des, and I agree with you about not taking an OVF for granted. We should be thankful that Pentax values its place in photography - Takuma mentioned being able to see the light as it is, rather than mediated by the EVF.

We should be grateful too that we have good OVFs in all the current range of Pentax cameras - unlike Canon/Nikon who have given their customers pentamirrors as opposed to pentaprisms in their cheaper cameras. This is not the case in the K-70 which has a good OVF. And as for the K3iii...well, I've not used one but I have read enough to know how good it is, and that it will hopefully set the standard.
01-06-2022, 06:25 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clever marketing. Pentax DSLRs: The cameras discerning pros choose for their personal work, the camera they grab when they just want to enjoy their photography. There might even be a grain of truth in it. Now, seriously, that would be something to take pride in.
01-06-2022, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very cool. Interesting that the things he uses his Sony and Olympus for, I don't do. But I'm all over what he does with his Katie. You could clone me into his position near the waterfall, and nothing would be out of place. Mind you, I use a K-1 for what he uses his K-3 for. My K-3 tends to be a birding/wildlife camera. But apart from that, I also frequently comeback soaked with a wet camera. and complete peace of mind about it.
Same goes for me, also with my K1-II. Nothing more beautiful are all the faces of the canicons when you let yourself and camera get soaking wet by a waterfall, or well, even in a heavy rain

Last edited by Sakura; 01-08-2022 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo
01-06-2022, 02:50 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Clever marketing. Pentax DSLRs: The cameras discerning pros choose for their personal work, the camera they grab when they just want to enjoy their photography. There might even be a grain of truth in it. Now, seriously, that would be something to take pride in.
It's also an acknowledgement of the reality that the overwhelming majority of new camera sales are mirrorless. It's saying, you can have both: a mirrorless system for work (or for the things that your mirrorless system is good at) and a DSLR for fun and creativity. The enthusiast amateur might read that as: a DSLR can shoot what I like, with more fun and more creativity.

There was an interesting line in there (about 7 mins). He says his international clients told him that they chose him because his work was not like that of other Japanese photographers; it demonstrated his personality and showed artistic creativity. He said that a photographer should find the expression that they like most and find a camera that makes you happy when you shoot with it. What a great line that is.

Edit: I just thought of a slogan to capture the idea of Pentax as something different, and with its viewfinders being a standout feature:
"Pentax. See for yourself."

Last edited by Des; 01-07-2022 at 02:21 PM.
01-07-2022, 07:16 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

What’s interesting about the talk of the OVF vs EVF is that now I am using a mirrorless Canon R5 for most of my shooting, I can never recall what the look of the scenery was like when I get back to my computer for editing. When I was shooting with a 645Z I can still today distinctively remember what the light was like at the scene at that moment. Perhaps it was the OVF that burnt the scene into my memory.

I have just bought a used KP for fun along with a new HD FA 31mm. It will be interesting to see how I feel after using it for candid travel and walk around shooting if I remember the scenes any better.
01-08-2022, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
What’s interesting about the talk of the OVF vs EVF is that now I am using a mirrorless Canon R5 for most of my shooting, I can never recall what the look of the scenery was like when I get back to my computer for editing. When I was shooting with a 645Z I can still today distinctively remember what the light was like at the scene at that moment. Perhaps it was the OVF that burnt the scene into my memory.

I have just bought a used KP for fun along with a new HD FA 31mm. It will be interesting to see how I feel after using it for candid travel and walk around shooting if I remember the scenes any better.

Interesting observation. I think the approach to great photography (as apposed to snapshots) is to create the image in the minds eye before the shot, and then in post processing try to recreate that impression.
01-08-2022, 03:55 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Interesting observation. I think the approach to great photography (as apposed to snapshots) is to create the image in the minds eye before the shot, and then in post processing try to recreate that impression.
Well with my mirrorless I just set up the camera on the tripod and start shooting. When I had an OVF I would pick the lens that I thought suitable, pop it on and then move around with my camera looking through the viewfinder to see the scene before setting up the tripod. I find that doing that method with the EVF is not as useful by a long shot.
01-17-2022, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #15

So .... The main advantage of a SLR is ... the uncertainty or image output every you press down the shutter ?