Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 116 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2022, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

I haven't bothered reading this thread or watching the vid (I'm having a good day otherwise don't wanna spoil it), just want to give my 2 cents on shadow recovery on the KP as it's also a camera with an accelerator chip.

At low to mid ISOs shadow recovery is as expected. It gets weird when you enter higher ISOs like 6400 where you start to get extreme purple banding when attempting to recover details. I find on accelerator chipped based cameras you're actually better off shooting at an even higher ISO to get an exposure that's closer to accurate than shooting lower and attempting to bring back shadow detail. I haven't done much testing on this as I very rarely find myself in situations where I need to shoot super dark situations where even high ISOs may not be adequate.

I don't exactly find this to be a big issue mind you. High ISO shadow recovery is typically only in emergencies anyways. Even with exceptionally high DR offerings like the K-5IIs it would absolutely crumble at super high ISOs.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 01-11-2022 at 12:04 PM.
01-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #62
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I haven't bothered reading this thread or watching the vid (I'm having a good day otherwise don't wanna spoil it), just want to give my 2 cents on shadow recovery on the KP as it's also a camera with an accelerator chip.

At low to mid ISOs shadow recovery is as expected. It gets weird when you enter higher ISOs like 6400 where you start to get extreme purple banding when attempting to recover details. I find on accelerator chipped based cameras you're actually better off shooting at an even higher ISO to get an exposure that's closer to accurate than shooting lower and attempting to bring back shadow detail. I haven't done much testing on this as I very rarely find myself in situations where I need to shoot super dark situations where even high ISOs may not be adequate.

I don't exactly find this to be a big issue mind you. High ISO shadow recovery is typically only in emergencies anyways. Even with exceptionally high DR offerings like the K-5IIs it would absolutely crumble at super high ISOs.
It's OK... we already confirmed that the K-3III can handle ridiculous amounts of EV adjustment coupled with a fair amount of shadow recovery on top of that before unwanted artefacts are seen:

K3 mkIII Dynamic Range - Issues or not? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
01-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's OK... we already confirmed that the K-3III can handle ridiculous amounts of EV adjustment coupled with a fair amount of shadow recovery on top of that before unwanted artefacts are seen:

K3 mkIII Dynamic Range - Issues or not? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
Frankly I wouldn't expect anything else at 100 iso. Pentax already had a regression with the K3 then improved again with KP. Don't see how they'd regress again with the K3-III.
01-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #64
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax already had a regression with the K3 then improved again with KP. Don't see how they'd regress again with the K3-III.
Regression in that specific area of sensor performance, perhaps. Of course, the K-3 got a 24MP sensor instead of 16MP... so it depends on your measurements and priorities as to whether it was a regression or not. Something had to give for all those extra megapickles. I have K-5 and K-3 series cameras, and both have been little short of amazing in terms of shadow recovery for all practical purposes. I've never tried bumping them by +5EV because, honestly, who really does that except reviewers?

01-11-2022, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Pentaxian

Regression in that specific area of sensor performance, perhaps. Of course, the K-3 got a 24MP sensor instead of 16MP... so it depends on your measurements and priorities as to whether it was a regression or not. Something had to give for all those extra megapickles. I have K-5 and K-3 series cameras, and both have been little short of amazing in terms of shadow recovery for all practical purposes. I've never tried bumping them by +5EV because, honestly, who really does that except reviewers?
Still, the k-5IIs was so good it was beating some still in production full frame cameras at base ISO for DR. It's all spec sheet stuff for geeks like myself but it was still genuinely impressive at the time.

It's not about how many megapickles you have it's the quality, crunch and taste of them too.
01-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Still, the k-5IIs was so good it was beating some still in production full frame cameras at base ISO for DR. It's all spec sheet stuff for geeks like myself but it was still genuinely impressive at the time.

It's not about how many megapickles you have it's the quality, crunch and taste of them too.
Yeah, I'm not saying 24MP is (or was) better than 16MP... to do that, I'd have to know the use-cases and preferences of the person I'm talking to. All I'm saying is that it's different, and at the time that 24MP sensor came out, yes - it had lower dynamic range and worse noise than the lower resolution previous-generation sensor... but let's be honest, that shouldn't have surprised anyone - its how sensor technology always had (and has) "progressed". Years before, the 10MP K10D lost out to the 6MP *ist DL in high ISO performance. Bigger photosites are an advantage in this respect.

Whilst I agree to some extent that it's not about how many megapickles you have, go ask folks how many would like to go back to using a 6MP CCD body as their only camera (6MP was, according to Ken Rockwell, the most anyone could ever need with digital )...

Anyhooo... we could toss this back and forth all night and still find a way to playfully disagree. Going back to the OP's original question, @ThorSanchez kindly provided some test files and we proved that there's little wrong with the K-3III raws when it comes to EV boost and shadow recovery. One has to go to silly lengths with both to provoke any colour shift
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never tried bumping them by +5EV because, honestly, who really does that except reviewers?
Or crazy astroshooters but there we already took steps to beat the noise floor down much lower.

01-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi.
Just watching this video on YouTube which shows what can only be said as terrible shadow recovery on the new K3 III.

Has anybody here tested this? Is there something that he is missing.

I have noticed that the DR on the K1 II has a similar issue in tests online compared to the mark I, could it be related to the accelerator chip?

Happy to hear anybodys thoughts, as I am keen on a K3 III.

Starts at around 13:40 into the video.

https://youtu.be/Pp1Jrv61g5o
I do nor regard this YouTube presenter’s opinions as reliable.
01-12-2022, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #69
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hear hear. With both cameras and guitars, I have been humbled by people doing much more with much less gear. I took a photography class two years ago, and our teacher showed us this book she made, using photos all taken with a Holga. They were beautiful.
That is so true... I feel like I'm often trying to fix my incompetence with better hardware. I hope in the future I'll have more time and opportunities to improve my skills, but for now it's quite hard. All I can do is to buy some new toy from time to time and have some fun
I think that in today's world, there is plenty of people like myself - that is, wanting to get good results in some area, and having more money for hardware than time to practice...

Last edited by W.G.; 01-12-2022 at 03:22 AM.
01-12-2022, 03:31 AM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'd trust Stevie Wonder's assessment of a camera's image quality before I trusted the Cameraville Creep's.
Exactly. I tried watching one of his videos and ended up blocking him on YouTube. Cameraville is a complete jerk. There is no problem with shadow data from the K3iii.
01-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi.
Just watching this video on YouTube which shows what can only be said as terrible shadow recovery on the new K3 III.

Has anybody here tested this? Is there something that he is missing.
He is missing reality....