Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 116 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
No one should have been loving this dude at all, because his testing was sloppy. Pentax users, who have so often been witnesses to the pitfalls of poor testing methodology, should know better.
Some people it would seem, get extremely annoyed at videos of Pentax users having a good time with their gear, getting out and taking images with their Pentaxes and comparing them favourably to other brands.

We know better and enjoyed it anyway, not as scientific knowledge, as entertainment. And we'll love whoever we want. What should give us pleasure is not something one person can authoritatively define for everyone else. Sometimes, it's just not their business.

Why would anyone care if I found the guy amusing? What's it to them? Did it make me a bad person? There would seem to be an implication that it did.

Last edited by normhead; 01-10-2022 at 08:38 AM.
01-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
The exposure setting is showing 3.51 increase Hayashi. Must admit when I first loaded the file in (to DxO Photolab 5) I was not expecting to get anything useful. I was most pleasantly surprised.
This result is amazing

Feels like K-3III can almost stand along K-1 and K-1II in terms of DR range.
01-10-2022, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
This result is amazing

Feels like K-3III can almost stand along K-1 and K-1II in terms of DR range.
Never fall for the advice of someone telling you what they can't do with your camera. It's usually them. There are way more bad photographers than bad cameras. The odds are someone more skilled with the camera wouldn't have the same result. And these days, the PP and in camera software is getting to be as important as the physical camera.

Photography has become very complex. There is simply no way to compare cameras that will be meaningful to every one. Like the DPR wobbling cyclist test. DPR was clearly of the opinion that this was test that should influence everyone's opinion of Pentax. I've never had an opportunity to want to use that capability. It had no effect on me. I feel sorry for those sucked in by it.
01-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some people it would seem, get extremely annoyed at videos of Pentax users having a good time with their gear, getting out and taking images with their Pentaxes and comparing them favourably to other brands.
Personally, I'd love to see "videos of Pentax users having a good time with their gear". There are so few of them, at least that I've found. There would be many more with a little encouragement from Ricoh.

QuoteQuote:
We know better and enjoyed it anyway, not as scientific knowledge, as entertainment. And we'll love whoever we want. What should give us pleasure is not something one person can authoritatively define for everyone else. Sometimes, it's just not their business.

Why would anyone care if I found the guy amusing? What's it to them? Did it make me a bad person? There would seem to be an implication that it did.
Some folks enjoy his antics, some folks enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. I guess the important thing is we all get to "enjoy"

01-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Personally, I'd love to see "videos of Pentax users having a good time with their gear". There are so few of them, at least that I've found. There would be many more with a little encouragement from Ricoh.

Some folks enjoy his antics, some folks enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. I guess the important thing is we all get to "enjoy"
I like it when people point out their own hypocrisy. Sometimes, pointing out hypocrisy in others is both in error and offensive. Just because someone claims there is hypocrisy doesn't make it so.

The guy can be funny in a Charlie Chaplin kind of way. No hypocrisy is involved in being amused at his antics.

I'm curious, what reviewers do you think never display hypocrisy?

No need to mention DPR, I'm already laughing. I'd pick Imaging Resources. And they'd be the only ones on the list. If you read anyone else, you're supporting the hypocrisy. And most of the sites you mention provide no entertainment value, just irreverent comments concerning irrelevant features.

Last edited by normhead; 01-10-2022 at 09:43 AM.
01-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are way more bad photographers than bad cameras.
Hear hear. With both cameras and guitars, I have been humbled by people doing much more with much less gear. I took a photography class two years ago, and our teacher showed us this book she made, using photos all taken with a Holga. They were beautiful.
01-10-2022, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never fall for the advice of someone telling you what they can't do with your camera.
This made me chuckle as I've kind of been on the other side of that. I've had people tell me that there is no way I could have captured what I did, where I did, with what I have. It is kind of fun getting better astro results from the light polluted Twin Cities metro area, granted it is the darkest spot at a bortle 5, with my K-3, old A* 400/2.8, and not equatorial than a Canon shooter running their new flagship mirrorless, newest L-series 400/2.8, and equatorial with autoguider from a bortle 1 (fantastically dark and no light pollution). Every time I post an image where he runs I get accused of faking it. So far I've been the better person and not responded but have been tempted although I would probably be rather vicious in a response.

It is kind of like the racing joke that to go faster you need to adjust the screw behind the steering wheel.

I see far too many people asking how they can improve their photography skills when starting out and they get responses saying to throw gear at it. I've suggested throwing gear at it but gear as a tool to force them to develop their skills usually by they get a good fast used 35mm or 50mm lens and stick that on the camera and only shoot with that for a month or more.

01-10-2022, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Never fall for the advice of someone telling you what they can't do with your camera. It's usually them.
...don't fall for troll attempts either. I regularly do things with my K-3 that are outside the usual and when someone says they can't do common tasks, I simply roll my eyes.

Stee
01-11-2022, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi.
Just watching this video on YouTube which shows what can only be said as terrible shadow recovery on the new K3 III.

Has anybody here tested this? Is there something that he is missing.

I have noticed that the DR on the K1 II has a similar issue in tests online compared to the mark I, could it be related to the accelerator chip?

Happy to hear anybodys thoughts, as I am keen on a K3 III.

Starts at around 13:40 into the video.

https://youtu.be/Pp1Jrv61g5o
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Owned the until recently and 90D rented a K3m3 and shot them side-by-side. The PDR chart above is spot-on. I'd recommend referencing the PDR chart above. I've owned or rented over 20 digital ILCs in the last 7 years or so and I have yet to see my results disagree with the above url. Youtube? It is full of talking heads trying to make headlines to drive views.
01-11-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
WOW! This guy is usually pretty pro Pentax, but he clobbers the K-3 Mark III. I was waiting for it and decided against it because I thought it was over-priced. What happened to Pentax's positioning: deliver great cameras at a great price, to wit, deliver the best value on the market. According to this video, they didn't deliver on price or specs this time. Time to go back to Nikon?
Too funny... this guy is an entertainer.
Best value on the market is no longer a Pentax strategy. The philosophy just didn't sustain the company. That being said, if you want astro-tracer, pixel shift, IBIS and backwards compatibility it's still the best camera on the market. If you don't want the things Pentax offers, then like every other camera ever made, it might not be right for you. Did't deliver on specs... please. They delivered 12 fps and tracking AF. I would have been happy with 10 FPS. They upgrade the accelerator chip, they improved the processing pipeline. I make extensive use of pixel shift from time to time. So you couldn't give me a Nikon camera. This dude has never experienced Pixel Shift, hence our difference of opinion. Then if you use both Pixel Shift and astro-tracer, and enjoy IBIS on you FA glass, it becomes a no brainer. Nikon is only better if you don't make use of the unique things Pentax offers. If you use those things, Pentax is better.
01-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
K-3 III Shadow Recovery - PentaxForums.com

and here's the definitive answer: The K3III has impressive DR as tested by Photons to Photos.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20Z%2050,Nikon%20Z%207I...ax%20K-3%20III

Better than the D500, Fuji X-T3, Canon R5 or R6, or Nikon Z7II. and even the new Nikon Z9 according to his testing.
As the link Gatorguy shows, the dynamic range of the K-3iii is superb. I have had the camera for 7 months and always totally impressed at the details that can be recovered from shadows but also highlights that can be recovered. Recent reviewers seem blinkered by mirrorless cameras and flipping screens and miss the superb all-round capabilities of the K-3iii. I believe in a few months Pentax will release a firmware update to enable in-camera astro tracking. Another ground-breaking innovation from Pentax.
01-11-2022, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #57
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There's nothing to worry about when it comes to dynamic range and the K-3 III. I have used this camera extensively and have no issues pushing shadows or recovering highlights. I reviewed it for Photofocus many months ago now. There are lots of image samples there including dynamic range tests.
01-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to this video, they didn't deliver on price or specs this time.
I guess it depends on whether one has confidence in that particular YouTube guy.

K3 mkIII Dynamic Range - Issues or not? - PentaxForums.com

The referenced video was covered earlier in this PF thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/429480-not-good-look.html

The video features questionable methodologies; uncontrolled, non-repeatable 'tests'; no exploration of the post-processing effects; unproven assumptions; subjective statements; mocking language -- all veiled in a presentation style that aims to impress and convince lay-viewers.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-11-2022 at 11:21 AM.
01-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #59
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

According to this video, they didn't deliver on price or specs this time. Time to go back to Nikon?
Seriously? So far as credible sources of information are concerned, The Camera Ville is right up there with The National Enquirer. On second thoughts, perhaps I'm being a little unkind - The National Enquirer's not that bad...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-11-2022 at 11:41 AM.
01-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi.
Just watching this video on YouTube which shows what can only be said as terrible shadow recovery on the new K3 III.

Has anybody here tested this? Is there something that he is missing.

I have noticed that the DR on the K1 II has a similar issue in tests online compared to the mark I, could it be related to the accelerator chip?

Happy to hear anybodys thoughts, as I am keen on a K3 III.

Starts at around 13:40 into the video.

https://youtu.be/Pp1Jrv61g5o
I can't speak to the K3 III or the K1 I, but I have not noticed any difficulties in pulling details out of shadows in my K1 II. I shoot waterfalls, oftentimes with half-second or longer exposures, so I deliberately underexpose shots when stopping down or using an ND filter is not ideal. Basic post-processing in Lightroom gets rid of black holes in the waterfalls just fine. Is it in-camera processing where shadow recovery might be an issue?