Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What am I doing wrong?

This is getting frustrating.

Snapped a series of photos of this Goose coming in for a landing. The first couple of shots were somewhat in focus, but not great, and then it went downhill.

Two photos attached, the OOF photo of the landing, and a cell phone photo from the back of the camera showing the focus point it selected.

Any thoughts on why the camera just can't sort itself out?

AF-C, EXM, 50-135, 1/1000, 2.8, ISO1600

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by sebberry; 04-09-2022 at 02:30 PM.
01-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #2

I could be wrong/misunderstanding but i thing the screen shot is showing the crop, not the focus point.

It looks to me like its focused on foreground.
01-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, the screenshot is showing a crop, but it zooms in on the focus point.
01-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It looks in focus on the foreground water reflection.
If you shot in AF-C we can see on the info screen where the focus point exactly was.

01-23-2022, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The combination of f2.8 and over-the-water (condensation or some other humidity factor), the lack of contrast overall (cloudy sky that day?) and the distance would likely cause this sort of situation.
This looks OOF but it could well be "just because" of the elements described above.

I have had my fair share of shots taken "over the water" and at some distance ... certainly the wide open aperture did not help either.
Maybe I'm out to lunch with my impression(s)but that is what I think was going on.

Why were your first shots previous to this one were "somewhat in focus" ? ... would be nice to see those first shots to compare with this last one.
01-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It sure does look like it front-focused by a few feet.

Again, with the K3-3, zooming in on the preview screen zooms into the point on which it locked focus. In this case it was the center point, which in the photo is the small brown patch at the base of the Goose's nearest wing.
01-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The combination of f2.8 and over-the-water (condensation or some other humidity factor), the lack of contrast overall (cloudy sky that day?) and the distance would likely cause this sort of situation.
This looks OOF but it could well be "just because" of the elements described above.

I have had my fair share of shots taken "over the water" and at some distance ... certainly the wide open aperture did not help either.
Maybe I'm out to lunch with my impression(s)but that is what I think was going on.

Why were your first shots previous to this one were "somewhat in focus" ? ... would be nice to see those first shots to compare with this last one.
It was foggy, but these were pretty close.

Here's the rest.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
01-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed that the preceding shots were "somewhat in focus"(they all look a bit soft) albeit better than the last one.
This last shot though ... hard to tell why it (the camera or the operator) "behaved" that way compared to the rest of the series but I still believe it is overall caused by the combination of the conditions surrounding the scene.

Could it be that you moved (panned) differently at the end of your sequence? Could it be that for this last shot that you stopped panning all of a sudden?

Not sure ... maybe someone else will have a different perspective.
01-23-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
It was foggy, but these were pretty close.

Here's the rest.
Your shots are all F2.8 which will result in a very, very narrow area of focus. I'd suggest trying to close down the aperture a little and try again.
01-23-2022, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

As has been said, F/2.8 will only provide a short depth of field. When I shoot flying birds, I tend to use at least F/10 or a higher number F stop. The goose that you are shooting has a wing span, plus the other parts. I usually shoot birds on sunny days to allow for example a shutter speed of 1000, 1200, or 1600, an F stop of 10 or higher digit, and an ISO of 800 or below. I also use spot (center) AF area mode, and AF.C AF mode. Low light requiring a high ISO and an aperture of F/2.8 in most instances will give you not completely focused detail. On the other hand, in the sun with other settings you can get more detailed results. Most likely if you tried different F stops, you will notice the subject gaining detail as you use higher number F stop settings.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-23-2022 at 02:42 PM.
01-23-2022, 03:02 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I the only one to notice the out-of-focus shot was when the bird had landed in the water, when its reflection (which extends several feet closer to the camera) was "joined" to the bird and appeared as one object?
01-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, at least there is a general agreement with the use of f2.8 but other elements came into play here.

Next time, try smaller aperture and don't be afraid if the ISO goes up as your K3III can handle that well.
I have had good results under such conditions even with f5.6.
To try pushing it to f8 or f10 will obviously require higher ISO and you might get into grainy results but, of course, all that can be handled in PP.
01-23-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
This is getting frustrating.

Snapped a series of photos of this Goose coming in for a landing. The first couple of shots were somewhat in focus, but not great, and then it went downhill.

Two photos attached, the OOF photo of the landing, and a cell phone photo from the back of the camera showing the focus point it selected.

Any thoughts on why the camera just can't sort itself out?
If where the image is zoomed in it missed focused, ƒ 2.8 along with a 135mm lens should give you enough DOF something in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 meter.
I would look at seeing if there is other contributing factors as this shot looks like it focused in front of the subject, stopping down lens will help mask this issue. I just suspect that it was a missed focus
01-23-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I figured there should be enough DOF for at least the body of the bird to be in focus. If the wingtips were OOF, then I'd have been happy with that. Nothing was in focus, and as we can see in the camera preview, the focus was on the bird. It wasn't very far away, those aren't cropped shots.
01-23-2022, 05:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

50-135 is a slow focusing lens from my experience.

If you have release priority set for AF-C you may be defeating success if the K3 iii can’t get the 50-135 focus going the right direction.

I agree with other advice to stop down.