Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #1

Digital Camera Utility 5 and K3MIII

I use the Digital Camera Utility 5 with my K3MIII.
In the labority mode I can not adapt the White balance because my images are locked.
How to unlock them?
Many thanks folks!

02-04-2022, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DCU only allows processing original pentax camera files, both raw or jpeg. In my experience , if you first modify a picture with another editor like Windows photo or so, it doesn't accept the files anymore, you can view but not enter labo mode.
The free pentax software is constrained to original pictures...
02-04-2022, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
DCU only allows processing original pentax camera files, both raw or jpeg. In my experience , if you first modify a picture with another editor like Windows photo or so, it doesn't accept the files anymore, you can view but not enter labo mode.
^^^ Exactly this ^^^
Some third-party software even modifies the EXIF data in every image file in a folder, even if you've only looked at one! Something to do with indexing … but it's a right pain if you want to use DCU afterwards, or even re-load the image into the camera to utilise some of the in-camera effects
It's not difficult, though somewhat tedious, to regenerate the EXIF data using EXIFTool so's DCU will accept the file … bit there, dun that!
I now only ever work on copies, with originals backed-up on an unconnected external drive to fall back to if necessary.
02-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use Lightroom and I can do editing in DCU after using the DNG files in LR, Because LR does not change the original files, some editing software may do it differently. JPG files derived from LR cannot be modified in DCU5, but I'm not sure why you would want to anyway.

02-05-2022, 01:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I tryed PEF files and sends them directly to DCUimages are still locked.
Which files are original pentax files?
02-05-2022, 05:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The files that come directly from the camera whether JPG, PEF or DNG are original files. The other posters are warning you that if you use other software to look at or manage the files after they leave the camera the files may be changed. I have never had this problem but I rarely use DCU.
02-05-2022, 06:12 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gielen Quote
I use the Digital Camera Utility 5 with my K3MIII.
In the labority mode I can not adapt the White balance because my images are locked.
How to unlock them?
Many thanks folks!
Have you updated to the very latest version of DCU?

02-06-2022, 02:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
I use DCU because it’s integrated software in the K3mIII.( not a third party software that may not be compatibel.) Also because of the histogram included, so that I learn to ‘read’ what it shows. But I’ve just bought LUMINAR AI instead. Wish me luck. Thanks folks.
02-06-2022, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With most commercially available software available you should have absolutely no problem using it with Pentax files from your Mk III, however, you should use the DNG file format rather than the PEF file format if you are going to use RAW files. The software compatibility with DNG is virtually universal as opposed to PEF. JPG files are universally compatible but with JPG there are limits to what can be achieved in editing.

Another thought regarding your DCU white balance problem. Are you trying to change the white balance of a JPG file? JPG white balance isn't editable easily in any editing program that I know about, but I gave up shooting JPGs over 10 years ago.

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-06-2022 at 06:57 AM.
02-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Are you trying to change the white balance of a JPG file? JPG white balance isn't editable easily in any editing program that I know about, but I gave up shooting JPGs over 10 years ago.
Changing the white balance of a Pentax-generated JPG using DCU is no sweat at all … open the White Balance tab, select Override to select the default option you want, or play about with the other settings and sliders to achieve the desired result … simples

More difficult options are available
02-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Changing the white balance of a Pentax-generated JPG using DCU is no sweat at all … open the White Balance tab, select Override to select the default option you want, or play about with the other settings and sliders to achieve the desired result … simples

More difficult options are available
Thanks, I didn't know that. How does DCU account for Multi Auto White Balance? From what I see it just changes the whole scene? I'm just curious as I'm not going to change from DXO PhotoLab 5 to DCU but was just wondering if DCU 5 did account to Multi Auto White Balance.
02-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks, I didn't know that. How does DCU account for Multi Auto White Balance? From what I see it just changes the whole scene? I'm just curious as I'm not going to change from DXO PhotoLab 5 to DCU but was just wondering if DCU 5 did account to Multi Auto White Balance.
I can't claim to be fully aware of all the ins and outs of it, but, by reading (and re-reading) the various pages here PENTAX?????? | PENTAX official it would seem that DCU takes advantage of knowing what adjustments the camera made to the original exposure, presumably from data within the EXIF, so can, to a degree at least, revert to a "virtual original" then start again.
Obviously, not as total a solution as would be available from RAW, but probably better than trying to adjust an incorrect rendition directly
02-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use CS5 for most of my processing work, except for HDR RAW files, which aren't supported, so I use DCU to export the individual files and process them in CS5 and other software. Processing in CS5 certainly doesn't stop DCU from reading them, but it ignores any changes. I imagine that's because CS5 and some other image processors store the changes in an XMP file or within the image file header, so they preserve the original image data.

Be aware that any changes you've made to the HDR image file will only show up on the first image contained within it.
04-01-2022, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as a follow-up to my previous post, I had only used the HDR settings on my K-1 and K-3 at that stage. I have only just realised that the K-3iii actually merges the images in the camera, whereas the K-3 and K-1 both save the three images separately within the one file.

This means that with the K-3iii it is no longer necessary to separate them in order to process them into an HDR image, using software other than DCU. It also means that you don’t get the opportunity to tweak the final image by shifting the weighting of one or two of the three captured images, or even discarding one of them. If you want to do that, then you need to use exposure bracketing to produce separate images for later processing, not in the camera.

PS: I may have to walk that back, because I have found with the last few HDR shots that I took today, that this time there are 3 images within the HDR file. There must be a setting that I've adjusted somewhere, because DCU actually told me that the previous RAW files were HDR images, but that there were no separate images to split out of the file. Odd. Further investigation needed. The owner's manual is no help, at least that I can find.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-03-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Additional information