Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2022, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any update on the new Firmware 1.4 with Astrotracer option 3?

Anyone got any information when this might be released..? I now some users on here had beta versions and hoped it would be released by now.

02-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps asking those beta testers directly might provide the answer?

Steve
02-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
Anyone got any information when this might be released..? I now some users on here had beta versions and hoped it would be released by now.
there are some speculations about kind of VIP gathering taking place on SUN 13MAR2022 ( Tokyo time? ) ,
perhaps ask those questions there , someone might have right knowledge....
02-19-2022, 06:50 PM - 3 Likes   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I watched the presentation at the November event where they announced Astrotracer Type 3. At that time they just said "spring", so that would suggest any time from the start of March.

I have had the Beta 1.4 firmware installed since I got the K-3 III. It seems completely stable. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try Astrotracer yet. Tokyo is great for a lot of things, but a clear view of the stars is not one of them.

Last edited by JPT; 02-20-2022 at 12:29 AM.
02-20-2022, 06:44 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I watched the presentation at the November event where they announced Astrotracer Type 3. At that time they just said "spring", so that would suggest any time from the start of March.

I have had the Beta 1.4 firmware installed since I got the K-3 III. It seems completely stable. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try Astrotracer yet. Tokyo is great for a lot of things, but a clear view of the stars is not one of them.
Are there any other changes beyond the Astrotracer?
02-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
I imagine the testers will be unable to say anything about it..
02-21-2022, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
I'm afraid I can't tell you because I got the K-3 III and installed 1.4 straight away. I never used an earlier version. However, I don't think there are any other changes, because they released 1.31 on the same day with SATOBI. I think the only difference between the two versions is Astrotracer.

I have no idea why they decided to do the beta version this time. It might be something related to getting documentation ready, or perhaps they were unsure whether it worked well enough. I hope you won't have to wait much longer.

02-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm afraid I can't tell you because I got the K-3 III and installed 1.4 straight away. I never used an earlier version. However, I don't think there are any other changes, because they released 1.31 on the same day with SATOBI. I think the only difference between the two versions is Astrotracer.

I have no idea why they decided to do the beta version this time. It might be something related to getting documentation ready, or perhaps they were unsure whether it worked well enough. I hope you won't have to wait much longer.
Thank you - I am waiting patiently, but checking every day to see if it is released.
02-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #9

I have 1.40 beta - works fine for me.
I've had some lockups (camera hangs) with older firmware (I think including latest official). Now I do not have those issues (or they are so rare, that I do not remember).
03-02-2022, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

It's released now for all users. The version is 1.41 and it claims AF improvements as well.

Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
03-02-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Updated here with no immediate issues.
03-02-2022, 10:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

done , thank you
03-03-2022, 04:36 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

How to use the GPS-less Astrotracer. There's also a selection of Pentax lenses that can be used across their entire zoom range without restriction.
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/astrotracer-type3.pdf
03-17-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #14

Astro Type 3 is working perfectly. Some issues at 10mm or when stars are not too bright/ too much light pollution. Here you can find a 100second image i shoot some days ago . You can see trails in the corner but this does come from the system but from the optic (18mm)

Cover photos

thanks!
Danilo