Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,565
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
it talks about using Live View to make the focus.... should we be using OVF focusing to calinrate now they have made this improvement?
The instructions are a bit confusing. I think the key is indicated in Step 3: "Bring the subject into focus using the camera’s phase-detection AF system." Phase Detection AF = AF when using the viewfinder. Basically, the Live View screen is used to check the sharpness of the Viewfinder AF.


- Craig

03-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 951
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
Very helpful, thanks.

---------- Post added 03-07-22 at 04:44 PM ----------


Actually reading this again it talks about using Live View to make the focus.... should we be using OVF focusing to calinrate now they have made this improvement?[COLOR="Silver"]
What c.a.m said^^^^^
Basically, you start with Live view to get your proper in focus shot since the focus in live view is done directly from the image sensor and is "always" correct. Then switch to OVF (Phase) and refocus to see if the image is just as sharp/correct as it was in Live view. If both images are the same, then you're good. If the OVF shot has a different in focus region than the Live View shot, then you'll need to adjust the focus using the fine focus adjustment.
03-08-2022, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
snappyhoffy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 124
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
What c.a.m said^^^^^
Basically, you start with Live view to get your proper in focus shot since the focus in live view is done directly from the image sensor and is "always" correct. Then switch to OVF (Phase) and refocus to see if the image is just as sharp/correct as it was in Live view. If both images are the same, then you're good. If the OVF shot has a different in focus region than the Live View shot, then you'll need to adjust the focus using the fine focus adjustment.
Thank you Kobie!
03-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frozen white North
Photos: Albums
Posts: 995
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
What c.a.m said^^^^^
Basically, you start with Live view to get your proper in focus shot since the focus in live view is done directly from the image sensor and is "always" correct.
I will politely disagree with you here I agree that the image sensor should produce accurate focus, but it consistently and reliably misses with my 50-135. Not moving anything, focus is tack sharp (center point at least...) with OVF.

03-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 951
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I will politely disagree with you here I agree that the image sensor should produce accurate focus, but it consistently and reliably misses with my 50-135. Not moving anything, focus is tack sharp (center point at least...) with OVF.
That's why I said Live View is "Always".notice the quotation marks?
03-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frozen white North
Photos: Albums
Posts: 995
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
That's why I said Live View is "Always".notice the quotation marks?
The theory is totally sound. I'm not sure what would cause LV to miss focus, or why only on certain lenses
03-09-2022, 05:46 AM   #37
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 23
I hoped that new firmware solves my AF issue with D FA100 macro but it is unchanged. AF is still practically unusable with my 100 macro.

03-09-2022, 06:09 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,485
One additional uncontrolled, subjective datapoint. I upgraded my Mark III to v1.41 prior to going to my kids' soccer tournament this past weekend. I didn't do any lens correction adjustments. Shot only with the 55-300PLM. I didn't really think about the new firmware, and didn't notice any difference in autofocus performance from previous versions.
03-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,112
QuoteOriginally posted by tabz Quote
I hoped that new firmware solves my AF issue with D FA100 macro but it is unchanged. AF is still practically unusable with my 100 macro.
Sorry to read that. I suspect that either the camera or lens needs to be repaired or adjusted by a technician. My K3iii works well with my D FA 100 Macro, both before and after upgrade.
03-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #40
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 23
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Sorry to read that. I suspect that either the camera or lens needs to be repaired or adjusted by a technician. My K3iii works well with my D FA 100 Macro, both before and after upgrade.
My previous bodies (K200D, K-5 and K-3) worked flawlessly with the old D FA100. I have just tested on K200D and works fine with it. My other lens that has similar but not so serious issue with K-3 III is F135.
F28 F50/1.4 F50/1.7 FA20 FA77 FA43 and FA31 are flawless.
03-09-2022, 02:16 PM   #41
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 62
For wildlife we must move to Olympus OM-1, this is the best solution.
03-09-2022, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,112
QuoteOriginally posted by tabz Quote
My previous bodies (K200D, K-5 and K-3) worked flawlessly with the old D FA100. I have just tested on K200D and works fine with it. My other lens that has similar but not so serious issue with K-3 III is F135.
F28 F50/1.4 F50/1.7 FA20 FA77 FA43 and FA31 are flawless.
I'd consider doing a factory reset on the camera, and if that doesn't work, send it in for service.
03-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 176
QuoteOriginally posted by tabz Quote
I hoped that new firmware solves my AF issue with D FA100 macro but it is unchanged. AF is still practically unusable with my 100 macro.
Same here with 1.41.
I won't be doing anything about it, though.
The logistics and heartache just aren't worth the bother for one lens - that possibly won't behave any differently when it comes back.
All my other lenses are fine.
03-09-2022, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,841
QuoteOriginally posted by Valeriu Quote
For wildlife we must move to Olympus OM-1, this is the best solution.
Maybe you should move on to an Olympus Forum with with your opinions since we are discussing Pentax cameras and specifically the Pentax K-3 Mk III............Just a suggestion.
03-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #45
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Maybe you should move on to an Olympus Forum with with your opinions since we are discussing Pentax cameras and specifically the Pentax K-3 Mk III............Just a suggestion.
I have a Pentax K3III too.
When I see so many problems due to its decalibration, I realize that mirrorless is the perfect solution, and OM-1 is fantastic for wildlife, as I have seen in so many reviews and opinions.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15mm, accuracy, adjustment, af, af in firmware, af.c, aps-c, auto, camera, craig, dslr, firmware, focus, improvement, k-3 iii, k-3 mark 3, lens, lenses, ovf, page, reset, ricoh, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-3 III v1.41, K-1 II v1.30, K-1 v1.60 Firmware Update Released PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 03-03-2022 11:00 PM
Ricoh GR III Firmware v1.41 Released kvoz123 Ricoh GR 15 04-28-2021 03:20 AM
K-3 BULB MODE issues on Firmware V1.11 V1.20 V1.40 gedasst Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 8 01-16-2019 02:04 AM
Pentax firmware 1.41 update - "improved stability for general performance" - really beholder3 Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 16 09-14-2017 10:50 PM
Questions about C-41 and non C-41 BW film. SuperAkuma Film SLRs and Compact Film Cameras 23 02-14-2009 12:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top