Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone tested the improved AF in firmware v1.41?

I'm curious to know if anyone has tested the "Improved AF accuracy and stability during viewfinder shooting." provided by firmware v1.41.
I've not had a chance to get out with the camera since the update, but maybe others have, and a report would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Terry

03-04-2022, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I'm curious to know if anyone has tested the "Improved AF accuracy and stability during viewfinder shooting." provided by firmware v1.41.
I've not had a chance to get out with the camera since the update, but maybe others have, and a report would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Terry
I did some quick testing after the update.
First of all, on my 150-450 and 1.4x tele, the focus was way off, but consistently off. I took the converter off and just mounted the 150-450 which was at 0 for focus fine adjustment. It was still off.
I kept doing test shots and at -10 it was close but still a tad off. I then reset all lens adjustments (green button reset) and now it's perfect at 0.
I shot my little dog coming towards the house at close to minimal focus distance using zone AF and it nailed dead center. I still have some more testing to do but so far it does seem to be much more accurate (at least with zone AF in AF.C).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
03-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #3

I took 125 photos in auto area with live view mode and what I thought was an improvement wasn't after I viewed the images when I got back home. About 95% of the photos were focused on the closest thing on the bottom left of each image which was the ground. Even as I did a complete 180 degree turn from the right to the left with a huge moving object about 10 feet away and repeatedly repressed the shutter button as I centered the huge moving objects in the center of the viewfinder. af.c and auto anything is just a massive failure. If the K-3iii had a flippy screen I might have been able to see it wasn't focusing anyplace close to where it needed to focus. If I wanted in focus pictures of the grass the K-3iii would be the perfect camera. 15mm Limited lens (silver to match my K-3iii) I bought brand new last summer just for the K-3iii. Camera chose the bottom left 3 focal points. Huge train cars 10 to 20 feet in front of me moving right to left. Camera focuses on the ground. Shutter 1/640 F8.0 ISO 400.

Same exact spot using a Fuji X-S10 with a 18mm F1.4 lens and af.c auto area picture is crystal clear. Same exact spot using a Nikon Z6 af.c auto area with the 24-70 F4 kit lens everything in perfect focus. KP with next to no focal points, same exact spot, same lens as used on the K-3iii. Crystal clear photos. All 3 focused on a subject other than the closest possible focus point which was the ground. Even af.c on the KP worked.

I think my K-3iii is a lemon.
03-04-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
I took 125 photos in auto area with live view mode and what I thought was an improvement wasn't after I viewed the images when I got back home. About 95% of the photos were focused on the closest thing on the bottom left of each image which was the ground. Even as I did a complete 180 degree turn from the right to the left with a huge moving object about 10 feet away and repeatedly repressed the shutter button as I centered the huge moving objects in the center of the viewfinder. af.c and auto anything is just a massive failure. If the K-3iii had a flippy screen I might have been able to see it wasn't focusing anyplace close to where it needed to focus. If I wanted in focus pictures of the grass the K-3iii would be the perfect camera. 15mm Limited lens (silver to match my K-3iii) I bought brand new last summer just for the K-3iii. Camera chose the bottom left 3 focal points. Huge train cars 10 to 20 feet in front of me moving right to left. Camera focuses on the ground. Shutter 1/640 F8.0 ISO 400.

Same exact spot using a Fuji X-S10 with a 18mm F1.4 lens and af.c auto area picture is crystal clear. Same exact spot using a Nikon Z6 af.c auto area with the 24-70 F4 kit lens everything in perfect focus. KP with next to no focal points, same exact spot, same lens as used on the K-3iii. Crystal clear photos. All 3 focused on a subject other than the closest possible focus point which was the ground. Even af.c on the KP worked.

1) did you reset either the AF adjustments in the menu or reset the whole camera? Many of us have discovered that for whatever reason, it seems to be a necessity after a firmware update.
2) The update says nothing about Live View. The improvment is for AF accuracy and stability for OVF shooting only.
It is possible that there is an issue with your particular K-3 III but I would reset it first and go from there.

03-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote

AF improvement in this FW is in OVF mode, not in LV. Other than that I don’t know..but this is what you can read from Ricoh page when you look at what they have improved
03-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I then reset all lens adjustments (green button reset) and now it's perfect at 0.
I've not heard of that being done before. Can you please explain in a little more detail exactly what you did, or point to where it explained in the operating manual?

Thanks for reporting.

Cheers,
Terry
03-05-2022, 02:12 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Cheers,
Terry
I had an hour or so to try it from a local bird hide on the afternoon of release … unfortunately there weren't too many subjects about, but the odd one or two that I did manage to track did seem to stay in focus more readily than previously

The male of a local Marsh Harrier pair that are re-establishing their territory for the spring.

03-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #8

I tried my 15mm, 31mm and 77mm limiteds. My feel is that they are better - not very scientific, but there it is. I have no adjustments set. It also seems a little faster. If we get some nice weather I want to try the DA*300mm with the 1.4x T.C. on some birds. This is what I have been shooting lately and I will better be able to judge the results.
03-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #9

Hey Kobie could you elaborate on this "I then reset all lens adjustments (green button reset) and now it's perfect at 0. " I haven't updated the firmware yet just want to be prepared if I have to fine tune my lenses again.

thanks Dave

Ok, ok I found the green button reset, thanks

Last edited by originalwinger; 03-05-2022 at 08:06 AM.
03-05-2022, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Green Button Reset

I've not heard of that being done before. Can you please explain in a little more detail exactly what you did, or point to where it explained in the operating manual?

Thanks for reporting.

Cheers,
Terry
OK, to use the "Green Button" reset go to the C menu AF Fine Adjustment Menu for the particular lens you want to reset use the individual setting and the "Green Button" will appear at the bottom of the screen with Reset. After the "Green Button" is pushed the AF Fine Adjustment will show a centered Fine adjustment mark in the middle of the range and "Unset" just below the range marker.

As a reminder always write down your setting prior to the reset in case the reset doesn't fix your supposed problem with AF accuracy.

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-05-2022 at 08:51 AM.
03-05-2022, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #11

A more scientific observation on the focus - using my 77mm, if I open a photo in Topaz Sharpen AI it would suggest Out of Focus - Very Blurry most of the time. After the FW update it is now suggesting Standard most of the time and Out of Focus - Normal sometimes. I also note that when I shoot on a tripod it suggests Standard. This is from importing a DNG file.
03-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
OK, to use the "Green Button" reset go to the C menu AF Fine Adjustment Menu for the particular lens you want to reset use the individual setting and the "Green Button" will appear at the bottom of the screen with Reset. After the "Green Button" is pushed the AF Fine Adjustment will show a centered Fine adjustment mark in the middle of the range and "Unset" just below the range marker.

As a reminder always write down your setting prior to the reset in case the reset doesn't fix your supposed problem with AF accuracy.
That will reset all adjustments for all lenses so make sure you have written down your settings, as Larrymc says
03-05-2022, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
That will reset all adjustments for all lenses so make sure you have written down your settings, as Larrymc says
Too late.... I thought it meant that lens...didn't have much on tomorrow!!
03-05-2022, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my K-3 III in may, it didn't took me long to find that the FA*400/5.6 was focusing extremely slow on the new camera. It was like using liveview on a K-7 or older. I even reported this to Pentax customer support and my plan of selling my old K-3 was cancelled. I still needed a camera to work properly with that lens.

But with firmware 1.41 that has changed. FA*400/5.6 is now just as fast focusing as it should be. I will test it tomorrow and see if the focus adjustment is still valid.

03-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #15

Updated to new firmware and tested 3 lenses, previous adjustments are all good with and without the teleconverter. Just need some nicer weather to try it out in the real world.