Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It turns out some camera remotes have resistors of various values on the different poles. It is possible the CS-205 has resistors on it and the K-3iii is more stringent on checking the values than earlier models. The DIY and Stackshot may not have the correct value resistors to make the K-3iii happy.

Measuring the resistance on the CS-205 with a multi-meter would shed some light on this.

Pinouts:
Tip - shutter
Ring - AF
Shaft - ground/earth

Mine measures zero ohms across each pair of contacts, when closed.
A physical examination of the interior of the device shows no electronic components, simply the cable soldered directly to a substantial leaf-spring type two-pole switch!

03-27-2022, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Mine measures zero ohms across each pair of contacts, when closed.
A physical examination of the interior of the device shows no electronic components, simply the cable soldered directly to a substantial leaf-spring type two-pole switch!
My brand new CS-205 measures the same. It works fine on the K33.

I have two new plugs with leads that I tested by shorting the leads after plugging them in the camera. They both failed.

I have two more coming from a different manufacturer tommorow. I'll test those then.

--------------
I really like having a remote with separate focus and shutter buttons. Until Pentax makes one, I will need to make my own.

Last edited by lmd91343; 03-27-2022 at 06:48 PM.
03-27-2022, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having just moved house I cannot find my genuine cable release. I bought a cheapo 3rd party one for my Ricoh XR-X and was pleased to find it worked on my K-3iii as well. I don't know about focus however as I'm using old manual glass.

K.
03-28-2022, 12:21 AM   #19

Thanks so far for your inputs. I have ordered a third party cs-205 compliant cable and will test on the K3-iii. Then I can also compare resistance on both devices

03-28-2022, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #20

Well the conclusion I come to is the socket on the K-3iii is the problem on the individual cameras in question. That is to say it may not be a problem on other K-3iiis. If it works with some plugs and not with others. If the AF works on all plugs then it would be the tip connector is out of spec. If neither works then it would be the ground or shaft portion. Of course it could be faulty connects from the mainboard to jack.

And the plugs are not all made equal. I have some that are loose in some jacks but other plugs in the same jack are snug.
03-28-2022, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eureka!

I found the issue.

It is that all THREE wires must be shorted together to have the shutter fire. Of course the camera will refocus first. The camera will focus with S-R. The camera will focus then fire with S-R-T. The camera will do nothing with S-T which for older cameras is SHUTTER only. With the leaf switch of the SC205 all three wires are shorted with the button depressed all the way.

This replicates the behavior of the O-RC1 where you can focus alone with the focus button and focus then fire with the shutter button on the K3 III. The single button F also refocuses.

I do not like the this behavior Iike the behavior of the cameras previous to the K3 III where the focus and shutter functions were entirely separate with the remote.

I want Ricoh to change it back!

Last edited by lmd91343; 03-29-2022 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
03-29-2022, 01:48 AM   #22

That's pretty good news - so I will make a DIY cable for my Stackshot and cross my fingers.....

03-29-2022, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by job3141592 Quote
That's pretty good news - so I will make a DIY cable for my Stackshot and cross my fingers.....
I don’t know if that is good news. The camera will refocus with the press of the remote shutter button. You can not separate focus from shutter. The camera will always refocus on its own. If that works for you, all the power to you!

---------- Post added 03-29-22 at 07:16 AM ----------

I just read up on stackshot. It moves the camera. It does not depend on the camera to focus the lens.

You can set the camera to MF and all is cool.

---------- Post added 03-29-22 at 07:33 AM ----------

I just read up on stackshot. It moves the camera. It does not depend on the camera to focus the lens.

03-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sent a letter to Ricoh about this. Let's see what they say.
03-29-2022, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is what they said:

Dear Lance,

Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging America.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.

The CS-205 is the one approved cable switch for the K-3 III

Accessories | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING

Thank you,
03-30-2022, 02:22 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I don’t know if that is good news. The camera will refocus with the press of the remote shutter button. You can not separate focus from shutter. The camera will always refocus on its own. If that works for you, all the power to you!

---------- Post added 03-29-22 at 07:16 AM ----------

---------- Post added 03-29-22 at 07:33 AM ----------

Using manual focus was the plan anyway - for Macros I set every setting whenever possible to manual
I will report if things work out as planned
03-30-2022, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Using manual focus was the plan anyway - for Macros I set every setting whenever possible to manual
I will report if things work out as planned
Good luck!
04-02-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Good luck!
DIY Cable functional -

What I did:

- bought a cable with one 2.5 mm stereo jack, cut it, stripped the isolation (I didn't want to solder around on a small 2,5mm jack)
- solder together the two stereo cables (when now shortened with the ground, the K3-3 activate shutter)
- cut an existing video cable with a cinch connector and solded on the 2,5mm one

This now works with the Stackshot Controller
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L29  Photo 
04-02-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DIY Cable functional -

What I did:

- bought a cable with one 2.5 mm stereo jack, cut it, stripped the isolation (I didn't want to solder around on a small 2,5mm jack)
- solder together the two stereo cables (when now shortened with the ground, the K3-3 activate shutter)
- cut an existing video cable with a cinch connector and solded on the 2,5mm one

This now works with the Stackshot Controller
Your problem is solved!

Congratulations

---------- Post added 04-02-22 at 08:16 AM ----------

I called Ricoh support. After a 20 minute conversation they agreed to file a ticket with the software developers describing this issue.

They would not give me any timeframe or notification of inclusion in a patch (“general stability “).
04-02-2022, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very long time ago I decided I liked the release for my PZ1 better than the release for digital SLRs. So what I did was mapped out the wire Color’s and connections and put a mini stereo headphone plug and jack in line with the cable, so I can by disconnecting the PZ1 end use it on my digital SLRs.

I think I posted the schematic I will look and add a link if I find it