Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cable release issue

Ack! My old cable release does not work with my K3 III. Very disappointing.

It has worked with my K10D, K20D, K5, K3, K3II, and K1 II. However it does not work on the K3 III.

And yes I remembered to turn off Back Button Focus Only.

I ordered the jack, buttons, cable, and project box to test and make a new one.

Anyone have a thought or perhaps a schematic?

TIA

03-08-2022, 04:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Ack! My old cable release does not work with my K3 III. Very disappointing.

It has worked with my K10D, K20D, K5, K3, K3II, and K1 II. However it does not work on the K3 III.

And yes I remembered to turn off Back Button Focus Only.

I ordered the jack, buttons, cable, and project box to test and make a new one.

Anyone have a thought or perhaps a schematic?

TIA
Which cable release have you got?
My original Pentax item (CS-205?) works on all my bodies except the K-70 and KP which need the thicker plug.
Just need to make sure it's fully seated.
03-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I built my own with a pre wired TRS jack cable I got when the K10D was the hottest thing.
Please excuse the kitchen table cellphone photo.
Attached Images

03-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you tested it on any older camera recently?

03-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I built my own with a pre wired TRS jack cable I got when the K10D was the hottest thing.
Please excuse the kitchen table cellphone photo.
If it works on the K10D it should work on the K-3iii … the CS-205 is specified for both cameras … maybe time to get the continuity checker out
03-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It still works on all my other cameras. I tested them yesterday. That is why I am so confused. Is the K33 different? Does if have tighter tolerances? Anyone else with this issue?

I am picking up a 2.5mm TRS jack with attached leads for testing.
03-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #7

Sometimes the size and shape of the plastic part of the plug on remotes keeps it from pushing in all the way. Some careful shaping with a knife on the plug part or replacing with a plug with a smaller profile can often solve the problem. Depends on the space around the jack on the camera side.

03-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sometimes the size and shape of the plastic part of the plug on remotes keeps it from pushing in all the way. Some careful shaping with a knife on the plug part or replacing with a plug with a smaller profile can often solve the problem. Depends on the space around the jack on the camera side.
Could be. I’ll inspect and give it a try. Since it works on my K1II and K3II IR I am hesitant to do surgery on the cable and replace the plug. I will just do minor shaping around the plug. Worst case I will make a new CR.
03-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried a plug with a pigtail. I shorted the focus wires on the pigtail and it focused. I shorted the shutter button wires on the pigtail without results.

I ordered a CS205. I’ll give that a try. Maybe there is something about that (plug?, internal component?) device in particular.
03-17-2022, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got my new CS205 cable release today. Tried it on my K3 III. They work perfectly together! The camera is fine and the NEW remote is fine.

I am relieved.

I am left with the question, why does the old, homemade remote work with every camera but the K3 III? The plugs are the same only focus works, not the shutter.
03-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #11

Hi together
I would like to add my observation regarding the cable release issue reported above.

For me the problem with the cable release is a complete show stopper for my application which is relying on an automatically taken high number of (macro-) shots to be used in a stacking program.

The device I use is the StackShot HW which is an electronically controlled macro rail system that coordinates the movement of the macro rail and the triggering of the camera. (see https://cognisys-inc.com/)

The controller of the Stackshot is triggering the camera with the cable input and that always worked since the beginning with the K1.

The K3-iii did never react on the trigger - something must have been changed by Pentax for the K3-III.

Has anybody a link to specification of the cable release?
This more than annoying as the K3-iii has some feature not present in the K1.

Any help is highly appreciated
03-27-2022, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by job3141592 Quote
Hi together
I would like to add my observation regarding the cable release issue reported above.

For me the problem with the cable release is a complete show stopper for my application which is relying on an automatically taken high number of (macro-) shots to be used in a stacking program.

The device I use is the StackShot HW which is an electronically controlled macro rail system that coordinates the movement of the macro rail and the triggering of the camera. (see https://cognisys-inc.com/)

The controller of the Stackshot is triggering the camera with the cable input and that always worked since the beginning with the K1.

The K3-iii did never react on the trigger - something must have been changed by Pentax for the K3-III.

Has anybody a link to specification of the cable release?
This more than annoying as the K3-iii has some feature not present in the K1.

Any help is highly appreciated

As I mentioned above, my K-3iii continues to function with the OEM CS-205 cable release I purchased with my *ist film camera and which continues to be the recommended cable for the K-3iii, there appears to have been no change to the specification on Pentax's part.
Any failure to function with 3rd party equipment is likely to be down to the specification of that equipment.
I'd suggest the acquisition of a genuine CS-205 to test your camera with, then you can be sure where the compatibility issues lie.
03-27-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #13

The jack on the K-3iii may just be defective if two different remote/trigger devices (eg. Stackshot and DIY remote) don't release the shutter.
03-27-2022, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The jack on the K-3iii may just be defective if two different remote/trigger devices (eg. Stackshot and DIY remote) don't release the shutter.
Maybe, but if the camera works with a genuine CS-205 then the aftermarket switches must be out of tolerance … the "fact" that they work with earlier cameras is irrelevant, it just indicates that the earlier cameras were built with wider tolerances.
03-27-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #15

It turns out some camera remotes have resistors of various values on the different poles. It is possible the CS-205 has resistors on it and the K-3iii is more stringent on checking the values than earlier models. The DIY and Stackshot may not have the correct value resistors to make the K-3iii happy.

Measuring the resistance on the CS-205 with a multi-meter would shed some light on this.

Pinouts:
Tip - shutter
Ring - AF
Shaft - ground/earth