Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #1

Problem converting a RAW into JPG - in camera

Hi all!
I was trying to test some of the K3iii profiles to produce some JPG "SOOC".
Since I mainly shoot raw I demand the process to the button AE-L: once selected the image i just save the JPG with that particular profile .
So far so good but, unfortunately, this work only when I select, in play mode, a full screen preview of that image.

In fact other way: If I am in play mode, with the thumbnail view, and I select one of the 15 images I see in the monitor, and then i press the AE-L button what is gonna happen is that I correctly enter the Editing image panel, to convert raw in jpg, but when I click OK (or the right pointer) the camera goes in loop "searching images" (

It's Just me?

Thanks
Danilo

PS last firmware installed

03-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
Hi all!
I was trying to test some of the K3iii profiles to produce some JPG "SOOC".
Since I mainly shoot raw I demand the process to the button AE-L: once selected the image i just save the JPG with that particular profile .
So far so good but, unfortunately, this work only when I select, in play mode, a full screen preview of that image.

In fact other way: If I am in play mode, with the thumbnail view, and I select one of the 15 images I see in the monitor, and then i press the AE-L button what is gonna happen is that I correctly enter the Editing image panel, to convert raw in jpg, but when I click OK (or the right pointer) the camera goes in loop "searching images" (

It's Just me?

Thanks
Danilo

PS last firmware installed
I guess just like other Pentax camera's you can only process a picture when in play mode and have the full screen image to work on.
03-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Resolved

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I guess just like other Pentax camera's you can only process a picture when in play mode and have the full screen image to work on.
No, I just run another test and it works. It just takes different minutes to complete a search activities, represent the thumbnail and then you can select which one you want to batch process.

The K3ii is not "in loop" but it's just very very slow

Danilo
03-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

No, I just run another test and it works. It just takes different minutes to complete a search activities, represent the thumbnail and then you can select which one you want to batch process.

Danilo
One and batch do not seem to fit together. You either do one or you do a batch...

03-18-2022, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Danilo
No surprise there. Batch processing is processor and memory intensive. Even my pretty high end desktop processor takes a while to batch process files. You are asking the camera to do something that is on the edge of it's capabilities.
Some of this stuff is just better done outside of the camera.
03-21-2022, 05:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
One and batch do not seem to fit together. You either do one or you do a batch...
Which one .... sorry...which ones out of all the ones you have in the memory card.

---------- Post added 03-21-22 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No surprise there. Batch processing is processor and memory intensive. Even my pretty high end desktop processor takes a while to batch process files. You are asking the camera to do something that is on the edge of it's capabilities.
Some of this stuff is just better done outside of the camera.
Uhmmm... no. The issue here is that if you have 50 images and you want to batch process three of them (not 49 or 47, but just 3) it takes minutes JUST to PRESENT you the thumbnail screen. Once you select the three you want to process (maybe because they are similar and you exactly want the Pentax software to produce a JPG since we've paid for that also) the processing time is just quick as if you were processing just one image.

There is another owner who suggest the selection step should be performed with the same speed as the normal selection:

Developing RAW In Camera - PentaxForums.com

see 3:10 PM post by Tjompen

Thanks
Danilo
03-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Which one .... sorry...which ones out of all the ones you have in the memory card.

---------- Post added 03-21-22 at 05:58 AM ----------

Uhmmm... no. The issue here is that if you have 50 images and you want to batch process three of them (not 49 or 47, but just 3) it takes minutes JUST to PRESENT you the thumbnail screen. Once you select the three you want to process (maybe because they are similar and you exactly want the Pentax software to produce a JPG since we've paid for that also) the processing time is just quick as if you were processing just one image.

There is another owner who suggest the selection step should be performed with the same speed as the normal selection:

Developing RAW In Camera - PentaxForums.com

see 3:10 PM post by Tjompen

Thanks
Danilo
You are aware that bringing up the thumbnails is a batch process?

03-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tried it on my k-3iii; it only took a couple (<5) seconds to bring up the thumbnail selection screen. But I only have about 70 images on a fast card, and no images on the other card in the camera…

I wonder what the time taken to get to the thumbnail screen is dependent on?
  • Number of images on the card - probably; the camera seems to include all of the images on the selected card in the the thumbnail screen - i.e. it doesn't limit it's work to the selected folder…
  • Speed of the card - probably
  • Number of cards - maybe not.

Thanks for the report. It is surprising that it should take so long to perform this task, at least to me.
03-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
You are aware that bringing up the thumbnails is a batch process?
cmon... do not argue with semantic issue: if you press the "PLAY" button and you toggle with the rear wheel you get into the thumblail view in a matter of millisecond. And if you press the info button you can zoom into the thumbnail view at the same speed. The issue is that the RAW-to-JPG process is affecting the thumbnail view and there is no one single reason for doing it.

unless you have one, please share it

Danilo

---------- Post added 03-21-22 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
I just tried it on my k-3iii; it only took a couple (<5) seconds to bring up the thumbnail selection screen. But I only have about 70 images on a fast card, and no images on the other card in the camera…

I wonder what the time taken to get to the thumbnail screen is dependent on?
  • Number of images on the card - probably; the camera seems to include all of the images on the selected card in the the thumbnail screen - i.e. it doesn't limit it's work to the selected folder…
  • Speed of the card - probably
  • Number of cards - maybe not.

Thanks for the report. It is surprising that it should take so long to perform this task, at least to me.
I think you got it. I also think the number of images is affecting this. But is a non sense.
03-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

cmon... do not argue with semantic issue: if you press the "PLAY" button and you toggle with the rear wheel you get into the thumblail view in a matter of millisecond. And if you press the info button you can zoom into the thumbnail view at the same speed. The issue is that the RAW-to-JPG process is affecting the thumbnail view and there is no one single reason for doing it.

unless you have one, please share it

Danilo

---------- Post added 03-21-22 at 08:49 AM ----------

I think you got it. I also think the number of images is affecting this. But is a non sense.
So you don't think that the amount of data the camera has to scroll through and make jpegs from is going to affect processing times.
Got it.
03-22-2022, 03:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
So you don't think that the amount of data the camera has to scroll through and make jpegs from is going to affect processing times.
Got it.
What you say is not correct. What I think is that the SCROLL should be a separate process from the "MAKE JPEGS FROM"; your AND is misleading.In fact I said (wrote) if you want to process 3 raw into 3 jpg the whole process time should be related to 3, not to the number of images you have on the SD.
In fact if you press play to view the images, you reach the thumbnail view in no-time. If you want to reach the thumbnail view to select the three it takes minutes.
So what? I guess the Camera is doing something for ALL THE IMAGES to prepare the following step; for instance is building an array of metadata useful for the next conversion ? Is it checking the files to select only the ones that can be processed and what is not (i.e. video or jpg)? In any case a simple concept of programming is suggesting you only run time machine or I/O if useful so you FIRST show the thumbnails and THEN you build the array you need.
Furthermore the manual is not so clear: multiple images process is ALLOWED (page 93 of the italian manual) but it is said a NEW FOLDER will be created. Since it really seem this process is considerably affected by the numbers of images in the SD, the simple creation of a folder shouldn't be the issue.
Danilo

Last edited by mctaveck; 03-22-2022 at 04:12 AM. Reason: mistake
03-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

What you say is not correct. What I think is that the SCROLL should be a separate process from the "MAKE JPEGS FROM"; your AND is misleading.In fact I said (wrote) if you want to process 3 raw into 3 jpg the whole process time should be related to 3, not to the number of images you have on the SD.
In fact if you press play to view the images, you reach the thumbnail view in no-time. If you want to reach the thumbnail view to select the three it takes minutes.
So what? I guess the Camera is doing something for ALL THE IMAGES to prepare the following step; for instance is building an array of metadata useful for the next conversion ? Is it checking the files to select only the ones that can be processed and what is not (i.e. video or jpg)? In any case a simple concept of programming is suggesting you only run time machine or I/O if useful so you FIRST show the thumbnails and THEN you build the array you need.
Furthermore the manual is not so clear: multiple images process is ALLOWED (page 93 of the italian manual) but it is said a NEW FOLDER will be created. Since it really seem this process is considerably affected by the numbers of images in the SD, the simple creation of a folder shouldn't be the issue.
Danilo
Apparently you disagree with Pentax regarding how to program a computer. Perhaps an email to them with your thoughts would be a good plan.
Get them set straight and all that.
03-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #13

Original Poster
Apparently you disagree with Pentax regarding how to program a computer. Perhaps an email to them with your thoughts would be a good plan.
Get them set straight and all that.
Not apparently. I really disagree and I am not the only one.
Already wrote them suggesting some changes regarding how to enhance the viewfinder of the k3iii and they reply understanding the point taking that into consideration. But I do not want to fall in further useless provocations with you , so keep your opinion and I'll do the mine but I suggest you not to involve a third party when you barely can support your own "ideas".
Adios
03-22-2022, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Not apparently. I really disagree and I am not the only one.
Already wrote them suggesting some changes regarding how to enhance the viewfinder of the k3iii and they reply understanding the point taking that into consideration. But I do not want to fall in further useless provocations with you , so keep your opinion and I'll do the mine but I suggest you not to involve a third party when you barely can support your own "ideas".
Adios
Agreed. Bless your heart.