Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2022, 06:28 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K3III IR in Coronado

I brought my R72 IR filter along to Coronado, here are some photos taken with the K3iii (unmodified), the DA 18-135mm and an IR R72 filter. Not bad if I do say so myself!

03-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work, Inspiring, I've got some IR filters hidden away somewhere, Used with Kodak B&W IR, and Ektachrome IR way back in then day.
I really like your first shot of the Coronado, Iconic shot of an iconic building.
03-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. Can you share some details about technique: exposure, shutter, ISO, how did you focus?
03-22-2022, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Nice. Can you share some details about technique: exposure, shutter, ISO, how did you focus?
Thanks! So I:
  • set my ISO to 100,
  • use live view,
  • remove the eye cup and install the (I don't know the name for it) view finder black out thinger to avoid getting light leaks (this *will* happen on a sunny day doing IR work)
  • shoot in full sun, works best when the sky is blue
  • set it to A mode, around f/11 or f/8
  • focus with the IR filter on in LV mode (the K3iii can lock on focus despite the effective amount of light is quite low)
  • set the camera to a short self timer

You can click on each image for their EXIF data on Flickr. The exposures are around 20 seconds.

In a photo editor you have to convert them to grey scale and work on the photo curves heavily, you're really getting a band of image data in the middle of the curve histogram, you have to stretch it out.

03-23-2022, 12:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice examples
I'm always envious of these locations where there's apparently no wind and the foliage comes out pin-sharp after a multi-second exposure!
03-23-2022, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Nice examples
I'm always envious of these locations where there's apparently no wind and the foliage comes out pin-sharp after a multi-second exposure!
Yeah. That might happen a fed times a year in the middle of the night where I live. Those IR shots are very cool!
03-23-2022, 04:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

IMO infrared effect is mediocre because OEM UV-IR cut filter is left in place. You capture just small amount of IR light. and this shot is 10 s exposure.
My solution: simple K-30 moded with IR filter on the sensor. You have resolution (No AA filter) and exposure time advances, can shoot handheld and focus properly EVEN using OVF.

03-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. Which brand of IR 720nm flter do you have?
03-23-2022, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice examples
I lucked out, those areas have a lot buildings blocking the wind.

Blurry ir shots are cool too, you can get a real dreamy effect!
03-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
IMO infrared effect is mediocre because OEM UV-IR cut filter is left in place. You capture just small amount of IR light. and this shot is 10 s exposure.
My solution: simple K-30 moded with IR filter on the sensor. You have resolution (No AA filter) and exposure time advances, can shoot handheld and focus properly EVEN using OVF.
Unfortunately, for the amount of i/r work I do (or want to do) I can't justify the cost of getting a camera modified, even if I could find someone in the UK prepared to work on a Pentax.
I'd be prepared to do the work myself, but I'd need detailed instruction for a specific model, probably a K200D, and a source of appropriate filter material in the UK.
In the meantime, I'll wait for the wind to drop
03-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, for the amount of i/r work I do (or want to do) I can't justify the cost of getting a camera modified, even if I could find someone in the UK prepared to work on a Pentax.
I'd be prepared to do the work myself, but I'd need detailed instruction for a specific model, probably a K200D, and a source of appropriate filter material in the UK.
In the meantime, I'll wait for the wind to drop
I got my K-5 modified to full spectrum by Advanced Photo Services in UK (enquiries@advancedcameraservices.co.uk)

Not cheap, but it works really well for both IR and UV with appropriate filter - really glad so many Pentax lenses have 49mm filter thread!!

03-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work! Especially the first.

Using an unmodified K33 with an R72 filter is still faster and cheaper than IR film.

Think twice about converting an older camera to IR. I converted a K10D and was sorry I did. I couldn’t use newer lenses, live view, or GPS in addition to other new features. I am glad I got a used K32 converted to IR recently.
03-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
I got my K-5 modified to full spectrum by Advanced Photo Services in UK (enquiries@advancedcameraservices.co.uk)

Not cheap, but it works really well for both IR and UV with appropriate filter - really glad so many Pentax lenses have 49mm filter thread!!

Can you still get proper autofocus using optical view finder / phase detection AF module?
03-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Can you still get proper autofocus using optical view finder / phase detection AF module?
The PDAF works OK with no filter, alright with IR and not great with UV. The CDAF is better than I remember unmodified. However, the OVF is unusable with either filter on. I consider the modded K-5 as a robust K-01, the SLR part is not really happening. All that doesn't really matter, as my real reason for converting is to use the great K-5 sensor for astro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
The PDAF works OK with no filter, alright with IR and not great with UV. The CDAF is better than I remember unmodified. However, the OVF is unusable with either filter on. I consider the modded K-5 as a robust K-01, the SLR part is not really happening. All that doesn't really matter, as my real reason for converting is to use the great K-5 sensor for astro.
K-01 has different sensor compared to K-5 (they share 16 mpix, but physically differ); K-01 uses 12-bit processing compared to 14-bit in K-5.