Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have big problem on my pentax K3III

Good evening,

I think , I'm going to cry, I always take care of my pentax k3III but there is a big issue there.
When I'm on picture mode (not Life View or not record mode), When i want to go on the menu or to see my pictures , nothing appears on the lcd screen....
So if i want to see my picture on my memory card or the menu option, i need to go on record or life view mode...
I try to do an update , it is not impossible. Because when I Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button ,

the Updates the camera firmware" NEED to appears in the LCD monitor.... So I see nothing....

And more over the button play to see the pictures or the menu button are not seem to be damaged or flotting..

i don't know if it s mechanic problem , or softwere problem

Somebody had this issues? Thanks

Emilie

03-25-2022, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emilie Quote
Good evening,

I think , I'm going to cry, I always take care of my pentax k3III but there is a big issue there.
When I'm on picture mode (not Life View or not record mode), When i want to go on the menu or to see my pictures , nothing appears on the lcd screen....
So if i want to see my picture on my memory card or the menu option, i need to go on record or life view mode...
I try to do an update , it is not impossible. Because when I Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button ,

the Updates the camera firmware" NEED to appears in the LCD monitor.... So I see nothing....

And more over the button play to see the pictures or the menu button are not seem to be damaged or flotting..

Emilie
Hi Emilie,

Try pushing the "Info" button twice in a row. This enables/disables the back LCD monitor screen. It sounds like you may have done this by accident and turned off the LCD screen. This issue happened to me at one point.

Hope this helps fix your issue.

Good luck

Last edited by tmlawes; 03-25-2022 at 10:31 AM.
03-25-2022, 10:19 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour @emilie,

Let's try something.

I can replicate the issue when I cover or obscure the Eye Sensor that is located immediately below the viewfinder eyecup.

Can you go into the Menu from Live View?

Go to Menu C4 Display Customization > Eye Sensor > Link Monitor Display > set it to OFF.

(C4 Personnalis. affich. > Détecteur oculaire > Lier l'affichage de l'écran > Désactivez-le)

Exit from the Menu. Then try to display the menu or display your images (in Playback) while in Viewfinder mode.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-25-2022 at 11:11 AM.
03-25-2022, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you trying to update with real update file on SDCard? Cause if there is no update file on card update mode will not start. If you have upgrade on card then maybe there is seomthing wrong with card. When you enter play on LV or video can you switch between cards? If not then maybe that is the issue.

As for dark LCD - do you have LCD screen enabled for photo mode? Press INFO few times when camera is in photo mode and on to circle LCD modes. If it goes black -> info -> parameters then set it up on parameters and try viewing photos. This should not have affected photo view but maybe.

And have you fiddled with parameters and button layout of camera? Perhaps you have set the play button to something else in photo mode? Go into menu, section C-2, Button FX and then check for play button. You can even turn it off if you want so maybe something changed there?

If not the last step would be camera reset (last menu, last point, last option - reset), choose to reset everything and check then. It would reset all settings to factory ones so it may help if something gone wrong in options.

Those are all ideas I got. I hope some help.

03-25-2022, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Hi Emilie,

Try pushing the "Info" button twice in a row. This enables/disables the back LCD monitor screen. It sounds like you may have done this by accident and turned off the LCD screen. This issue happened to me at one point.

Good luck
I have done exactly the same thing and made myself crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. Another helpful forum member had to tell me. More recently it happened again but this time it was hardware, but very fixable. As another also helpful forum member mentioned a post or two previous, a piece of lint or something got in front of the eye sensor to block it and thus the camera "thought" I was looking thru the eyepiece and the distracting screen should be turned off. Blowing out the obstruction fixed it.

Almost certainly it's one of those two things giving the OP problems.
03-25-2022, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

My resolution to similar symptoms was to go into Menu C4 "Eye Sensor" and set it to "Link Monitor Display" - Off, "AE with Eye Sensor" - Off and "Detection Sensitivity" - Low.
If you can't access the menus normally, put the camera into LiveView and operate the menus from there.
03-25-2022, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I gotta ask a stupid question - have you tried removing and re-inserting the battery after a few seconds?

03-25-2022, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good evening,

Emilie
Is your back monitor black when you have this problem? I had the this problem and in my case it was the eye sensor that caused the problem and it is now replaced on guarantee. The monitor worked in live view, video mode and with the four way control but in camera mode it sometimes went totaly black and I could not use info button, menu button or look at pictures I had taken.

Last edited by Narog50; 03-27-2022 at 09:22 AM.
03-25-2022, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Narog50 Quote
Is your back monitor black when you have this problem? I had the this problem and in my case it was the eye sensor that caused the problem and it is now replaced on guarantee. The monitor worked in live view, video mode and with the four way control but in camera mode it sometimes went totaly black and I could not use info button, menu button or look at pictures I had taken.
Count yourself lucky.
I couldn't get Ricoh UK to acknowledge a warranty problem.
They kept saying I had to contact their "authorised repair agent".
Their "authorised repair agent", who wouldn't reply to e-mail and only occasionally would pick up the 'phone, insisted they were waiting instruction from Ricoh.
Just hoping I never have to get the camera repaired … probably won't be buying another Pentax
03-26-2022, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Count yourself lucky.
I couldn't get Ricoh UK to acknowledge a warranty problem.
They kept saying I had to contact their "authorised repair agent".
Their "authorised repair agent", who wouldn't reply to e-mail and only occasionally would pick up the 'phone, insisted they were waiting instruction from Ricoh.
Just hoping I never have to get the camera repaired … probably won't be buying another Pentax
I am sorry to hear that, when I phoned the "authorised repair agent" in Sweden and described my problem they said at once that it probably was the eye sensor so I got in contact with Cyber Photo (where I bought the camera) and they payed the postal fee and now I have the camera back in use again.
03-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #11

This thread is desperately lacking a reply from @emilie
03-30-2022, 09:04 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Hi Emilie,

Good luck
Thanks a lot for your help and information :-)

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Bonjour @emilie,

Let's try something.

I can replicate the issue when I cover or obscure the Eye Sensor that is located immediately below the viewfinder eyecup.

Can you go into the Menu from Live View?

Go to Menu C4 Display Customization > Eye Sensor > Link Monitor Display > set it to OFF.

(C4 Personnalis. affich. > Détecteur oculaire > Lier l'affichage de l'écran > Désactivez-le)

Exit from the Menu. Then try to display the menu or display your images (in Playback) while in Viewfinder mode.

- Craig
It works very well now , i reboot and everything , and yes it was a problem with a eye sensor too
thanks a lot !!!

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Are you trying to update with real update file on SDCard? Cause if there is no update file on card update mode will not start. If you have upgrade on card then maybe there is seomthing wrong with card. When you enter play on LV or video can you switch between cards? If not then maybe that is the issue.

As for dark LCD - do you have LCD screen enabled for photo mode? Press INFO few times when camera is in photo mode and on to circle LCD modes. If it goes black -> info -> parameters then set it up on parameters and try viewing photos. This should not have affected photo view but maybe.

And have you fiddled with parameters and button layout of camera? Perhaps you have set the play button to something else in photo mode? Go into menu, section C-2, Button FX and then check for play button. You can even turn it off if you want so maybe something changed there?

If not the last step would be camera reset (last menu, last point, last option - reset), choose to reset everything and check then. It would reset all settings to factory ones so it may help if something gone wrong in options.

Those are all ideas I got. I hope some help.
Thanks a lot for all your information , finally , I did a big reset and everything work again , Thanks , I'm so happy !

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have done exactly the same thing and made myself crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. Another helpful forum member had to tell me. More recently it happened again but this time it was hardware, but very fixable. As another also helpful forum member mentioned a post or two previous, a piece of lint or something got in front of the eye sensor to block it and thus the camera "thought" I was looking thru the eyepiece and the distracting screen should be turned off. Blowing out the obstruction fixed it.

Almost certainly it's one of those two things giving the OP problems.
yes , that was this kind of problem , but finally I reset everything, and finally , everything is all good. thanks a lot for your response , I'm so happy !

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My resolution to similar symptoms was to go into Menu C4 "Eye Sensor" and set it to "Link Monitor Display" - Off, "AE with Eye Sensor" - Off and "Detection Sensitivity" - Low.
If you can't access the menus normally, put the camera into LiveView and operate the menus from there.
thanks a lot for your respoinse and advice !!

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I gotta ask a stupid question - have you tried removing and re-inserting the battery after a few seconds?
yes i tried evrything , but evrything is all good now , it was a eye sensor problem and i did a big reset , thanks a lot

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Narog50 Quote
yes it was a eye sensor problem , i did a big reset , and everything is all good now. thanks a lot

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
This thread is desperately lacking a reply from @emilie
Sorry , I was abroad In France , And I'didnt open my laptop for a few days , very sorry. i' will try to response quicker . Thanks
03-30-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #13

Had something a bit similar happen this afternoon. I was killing some time playing with the jpeg options bright, neutral, etc when the rear screen went black. I was able to access the info and menu with a visual but if I took a picture there was no instant review nor could I review previous pictures. Remembering this thread I went through it and the solution was to remove the battery, thank you sebberry. Suspect somehow I confused the camera and it just needed to reboot.