Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Unregistered User

K-3 III does not save settings...

...when burned.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 03-30-2022 at 12:03 AM.
03-27-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you working from a saved User mode?

Steve
03-27-2022, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

+1... this sounds like a saved user mode to me.

P.S. Welcome back
03-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When turning the camera off and then on the Custom Image always reverts to Bright. This happens even if I change to Bleach Bypass and turn it off and on. It says Bright every time...

I have Custom Image ticked in the list for what to remember, I have tested to tick EV comp, Night vision display and ISO and these settings it remembers every time but not Custom Image. I have un-ticked it and re-ticked it several times. Also made my wife reading the manual and setting it so that it would not be because of brain freeze.

I have FW 1.41. I have reset the camera to factory settings several times. I have changed lens, battery and SD card. It is set to Av.
Try menu tab C screen 5 (Function Customization) and go to Memory. There you will have the choice to retain settings of many things after power-off, one of which is custom image. Try un-ticking that box. Or ticking it.
Paul

03-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, I am in Av, the dial that is. Not in U1-U5.
Ok...were you in U1-U5 before going to Av?

Steve
03-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a K-3III, I have a KP, but I would imagine some of these items are very similar. On the KP, the Function dial C1 defaults to Custom Image unless you've customized it to do something else. Bright is the default custom image setting. If the dial is on C1 possibly that overrides the two other places you could set the custom image. I have no idea, I have my function setting customized different things, I'll take a look and see if it may work that way, I would be surprised, but who knows?-

edit: My tests show it does not override anything

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 03-27-2022 at 03:50 PM.
03-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My K-3iii doesn't exhibit the same symptoms as the OP, in that it does save the Custom Image setting if the Memory is set to do so, however there are some other anomalies with the way settings are remembered (or not) which leads me to consider there may be "something else" affecting the Memory function … I just haven't managed to figure it out yet

03-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

When turning the camera off and then on the Custom Image always reverts to Bright. This happens even if I change to Bleach Bypass and turn it off and on. It says Bright every time...

I have Custom Image ticked in the list for what to remember, I have tested to tick EV comp, Night vision display and ISO and these settings it remembers every time but not Custom Image. I have un-ticked it and re-ticked it several times. Also made my wife reading the manual and setting it so that it would not be because of brain freeze.

I have FW 1.41. I have reset the camera to factory settings several times. I have changed lens, battery and SD card. It is set to Av.
I tested this with mine and checking/unchecking the memory setting seems to correctly affect whether or not it remembers the custom image preset. Mine is still running firmware 1.1, so perhaps some bug has crept in since then.

Given just how many customization settings the K-3 III has, perhaps something else is interfering. Or, perhaps the factory reset option isn't quite resetting everything it should.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just wondering if you have "Custom Image" set as one of the options for smart functions ?

I had an issue with my AF in a very similar way, I would set it to Auto area, but every time I turned it on or touched the smart dial, I could never get back to Auto, I found I had to set it inside the smart fuctions themselves.
03-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now the LCD started to act up, unreadable. Small LCD also unreadable. Smells like burned electronics when opening SD-card door. SD-cards really warm, removed them to save them.
It still takes images but the output is not images but color gradients.

Removed the battery...
Send it back and demand a warranty replacement. Thats not a battery issue especially given the burned electronics smell.
03-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the LCD started to act up, unreadable. Small LCD also unreadable. Smells like burned electronics when opening SD-card door. SD-cards really warm, removed them to save them.
It still takes images but the output is not images but color gradients.

Removed the battery...
Oh dear. Yup, as Larry says, warranty time...
03-28-2022, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now the LCD started to act up, unreadable. Small LCD also unreadable. Smells like burned electronics when opening SD-card door. SD-cards really warm, removed them to save them.It still takes images but the output is not images but color gradients.Removed the battery...
Yikes, sounds serious. Originally, I thought that the Custom Image issue was firmware-related. The new issue seems more serious and perhaps unrelated to the Custom Image problem. I'm just guessing.

I think that it would be useful to the rest of us K-3 III users if you would describe the conditions surrounding the heating and 'burned electronics'.

e.g., Were you shooting at the time?
OEM battery or third-party?
Any exposure to moisture?
Any other symptoms or signs of trouble?

Thanks.

- Craig
03-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I was out and about, taking some shots, camera goes to sleep, I do not turn it off. Original battery, dry and sunny day, not been in any rain yet, no signs at all before it just got crazy.

Never dropped or hit.

Totally dead now. Packed and sent to Pentax. They are sending a new one to me as replacement on their suggestion. Will not repair but investigate.
Wow. So that's the best outcome you could expect, nothing off to repair but sending another camera brand-new. Kudos Pentax.

As long as they're sending one, ask for the pitch black.

(totally kidding, they haven't made them yet)
03-28-2022, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Totally dead now. Packed and sent to Pentax. They are sending a new one to me as replacement on their suggestion. Will not repair but investigate.
Sad news about the camera, but great news you're getting a new one, and well done Ricoh. That's how customer service should be done...