Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2022, 05:06 AM - 10 Likes   #1

K-3 mark III firmware 1.41: O-GPS1 calibration not working -- confirmed work around

I posted this as part of an astrotracer thread originally, but I think it warrants its own thread for easier fundability for others having this problem

I use the O-GPS1 and after updating my K-3 III to firmware 1.41 I can no longer calibrate the compass. The GPS shows connected and locked in the camera, and GPS locations are correctly recorded in the image metadata. However, the Menu [Wrench] > 4 > GPS Options remains greyed out and disabled, so I cannot select to perform a compass calibration. The Advanced Calibration menu under Astrotracer is also disabled.

I tested the O-GPS1 unit on my K-3 (mark I) and could calibrate there, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the unit itself. But the K-3 mark III could have different magnetic properties so the calibration is probably not valid when it is put back on the K-3iii.

Calibration is necessary for the camera shot direction to be accurate, and needs to be done especially when traveling (particularly in northern Michigan, where iron ore deposits can affect the earth's magnetism by a significant amount).

I have to imagine adding GPS-less Astro-Tracer touches the GPS code and perhaps introduced a bug.

Update and solution / work-around

Bruce McNeil at Ricoh / Pentax tested and saw the same (GPS options disabled) behavior. But he also found a work-around:

1. Switch to Bulb mode [B on the dial]
2. Set [Camera] > 4 > ASTROTRACER >ASTROTRACER to "Type 1" or "Type 2" (i.e. the GPS-required options)
3. Make sure your O-GPS1 is turned on
4. Note that [Camera] > 4 > ASTROTRACER > Precise Calibration is no longer greyed out and can be selected
5. Likewise [Wrench] > 4 > GPS Settings is no longer greyed out and so you can select > Calibration to calibrate the GPS.

So basically leave Astrotracer set to mode 1 or 2, then just switch to Bulb mode whenever you need to calibrate the O-GPS1.

He also forwarded the issue to the software team so hopefully we will see a fix in the next firmware release.

Last edited by jcr; 05-04-2022 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Added simplified instruction.
05-04-2022, 06:37 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcr Quote
. . . I think it warrants its own thread for easier fundability for others having this problem

. . .Update and solution / work-around

Bruce McNeil at Ricoh / Pentax tested and saw the same (GPS options disabled) behavior. . . .

He also forwarded the issue to the software team so hopefully we will see a fix in the next firmware release.
thanks for the alert, your efforts and contacting Ricoh and making them aware of the problem
05-04-2022, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you very much for sharing. I have not done the firmware update yet but will make note of this for when so do.
05-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done on working through this, handy info to know with a meteor shower due this weekend in my parts

06-29-2022, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #5
jcr

Original Poster
This bug appears to be fixed in the latest firmware v1.50, per my own testing.
08-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcr Quote
the Menu [Wrench] > 4 > GPS Options remains greyed out and disabled, so I cannot select to perform a compass calibration.
Hi, just wanted to share my experience...
I got the O-GPS2, and paired with my K3mk3, the "GPS Settings" menu was also greyed out. Images were not geotagging.
after reading your post, I upgraded to FW 1.50, but I also started reading the O-GPS2 Manual (which, btw, I wasn't able to find in a PF format on Ricoh's web pages, but that's another story)

In the O-GPS2 Manual, I read that I had to turn Off the "Auto Power Off" menu to Off to access the "GPS Settings" menu, and then I was able to do calibratioin and have my photos geotagged..

Just wanted to share, because others may have the same parcours as me, especially if one dont read that f***in manual

Now I'll be freee from my smartphone who always disconnect and is not reliable.
I still prefer the integrated GPS like in the K-1 and the K-3ii...
Hope I'll get a similar experience with the O-GPS2