Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User settings - settings entered, named, recorded, but no description on display

Brand new out of box K3-MKIII, charged battery, down loaded firmware upgrade 1.41, attempted to format new SDXC 128GB cards, no joy, had to format in my KP, after formatting in KP the cards worked in the K3-MkIII and were tested to format properly in that camera, successfully upgraded firmware.

Next problem, user assignable settings, entered landscape settings for USER 1, after multiple trips through an endless loop the settings finally saved to the USER 1 position, turned the dial, turned the camera on and off, the setting were still in the USER 1 position, so that was a repeatable sucess, but the assigned name "Landscape" appeared nowhere on the display, it can only be found by going back into the Custom Settings menu where it was created. What good are these assignable positions if you must deep dive into the menu to find the corresponding descriptions? I have done these same operations successfully on both the KP and the K1-MkII with no problems. Now the reset function is dithered, so resetting is not even an option. Disappointed! Thank you in advance! I would hate to have to return it immediately. Any ideas? Thank you in advance! RFK

Update 5/7/2022 Full or selective "reset" not available in any of the User modes, but in all other modes

Last edited by rfkemper; 05-07-2022 at 06:56 AM.
05-07-2022, 12:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

Welcome :-)
This is number 1 point of "please improve in next firmware" since the release of the camera.
Nobody really knows why Pentax improved so many things via firmware, that seems to be much more complicated... and ignore the easiest wish: please show the given USER name on the screen.
In every forum... in every deep feedback it is mentioned.

I've little bit the fear, that they've done something in the system, that makes it impossible to change this (I've no clue about programming).
05-07-2022, 12:33 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfkemper Quote
Brand new out of box K3-MKIII, charged battery, down loaded firmware upgrade 1.41, attempted to format new SDXC 128GB cards, no joy, had to format in my KP, after formatting in KP the cards worked in the K3-MkIII and were tested to format properly in that camera, successfully upgraded firmware.

Next problem, user assignable settings, entered landscape settings for USER 1, after multiple trips through an endless loop the settings finally saved to the USER 1 position, turned the dial, turned the camera on and off, the setting were still in the USER 1 position, so that was a repeatable sucess, but the assigned name "Landscape" appeared nowhere on the display, it can only be found by going back into the Custom Settings menu where it was created. What good are these assignable positions if you must deep dive into the menu to find the corresponding descriptions? I have done these same operations successfully on both the KP and the K1-MkII with no problems. Now the reset function is dithered, so resetting is not even an option. Disappointed! Thank you in advance! I would hate to have to return it immediately. Any ideas? Thank you in advance! RFK Are new Pentax owners really the beta testers?
I don't have any cards that big, so not an issue I've had to deal with I keep a couple of old 256MB cards for firmware updates and such

Set one of the Control Panel options to "Recall User Mode Setting", then, when in a User Mode, you can scroll through all 10 of your User Modes by name.

The Reset function is only "dithered" when in a User Mode when in a "normal" mode the function is available

A lesson I first learnt with my K-70, having unwittingly "missed out" on a lot of the functionality of my K-5, is to sit down for at least a couple of hours and work through the Operating Manual a page at a time. Make notes of features of interest to go back to. Having the manual in pdf format on a computer or other device can make searching for a specific feature much easier, but you do need to second-guess the phraseology used on occasion

Enjoy
05-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
Welcome :-)
This is number 1 point of "please improve in next firmware" since the release of the camera.
Nobody really knows why Pentax improved so many things via firmware, that seems to be much more complicated... and ignore the easiest wish: please show the given USER name on the screen.
In every forum... in every deep feedback it is mentioned.

I've little bit the fear, that they've done something in the system, that makes it impossible to change this (I've no clue about programming).
Thank you for pointing out this is a common problem!

05-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Set one of the Control Panel options to "Recall User Mode Setting", then, when in a User Mode, you can scroll through all 10 of your User Modes by name.
And, I've found that when "Recall User Mode Setting" is selected in the control panel, the initial mode shown at the top left corner of the monitor corresponds with the user mode assigned to the dial selection. Once selected, the process is move dial to a user mode, press Info to view description, repeat as needed. A bit annoying, but quick to do in practice.

I'm hopeful that a future update will show the description on the monitor's status screen.
05-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
And, I've found that when "Recall User Mode Setting" is selected in the control panel, the initial mode shown at the top left corner of the monitor corresponds with the user mode assigned to the dial selection. Once selected, the process is move dial to a user mode, press Info to view description, repeat as needed. A bit annoying, but quick to do in practice.

I'm hopeful that a future update will show the description on the monitor's status screen.

Read more at: User settings - settings entered, named, recorded, but no description on display - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 05-07-22 at 07:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't have any cards that big, so not an issue I've had to deal with I keep a couple of old 256MB cards for firmware updates and such

The Reset function is only "dithered" when in a User Mode when in a "normal" mode the function is available

A lesson I first learnt with my K-70, having unwittingly "missed out" on a lot of the functionality of my K-5, is to sit down for at least a couple of hours and work through the Operating Manual a page at a time. Make notes of features of interest to go back to. Having the manual in pdf format on a computer or other device can make searching for a specific feature much easier, but you do need to second-guess the phraseology used on occasion

Enjoy

Read more at: User settings - settings entered, named, recorded, but no description on display - PentaxForums.com