Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does K-3 III Have Wired Remote Option?

Sorry if this has been asked before (a quick search did not show an answer), but

Can I use a wired remote with the K-3 III? A search of the manual indicates/discusses only the IR wireless remote.

But, a look at some pictures of one for sale on Ebay shows what looks like a good-old-fashioned wired remote port! See below for examples.

These pictures show a cover flap below the card slot door with the symbol that I have on the similar cover flaps of both my K-3 and K-1, and when opened, there looks to be a socket inside.

If not a remote socket, what is this for? The picture on page 9 of the manual indicates a "cable switch terminal" but there is no other discussion about this in the manual that I can find!?!? There is mention of an "optional cable release" on p. 53, and a similar mention on p. 129, but no indication of how to use it.

Anybody tried it?

Attached Images

05-09-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax CS-205 wired or O-RC1 wireless

EDIT: Here's the Pentax list of K3III accessories: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3-3/accessories/
05-09-2022, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Sorry if this has been asked before (a quick search did not show an answer), but

Can I use a wired remote with the K-3 III? A search of the manual indicates/discusses only the IR wireless remote.

But, a look at some pictures of one for sale on Ebay shows what looks like a good-old-fashioned wired remote port! See below for examples.

These pictures show a cover flap below the card slot door with the symbol that I have on the similar cover flaps of both my K-3 and K-1, and when opened, there looks to be a socket inside.

If not a remote socket, what is this for? The picture on page 9 of the manual indicates a "cable switch terminal" but there is no other discussion about this in the manual that I can find!?!? There is mention of an "optional cable release" on p. 53, and a similar mention on p. 129, but no indication of how to use it.

Anybody tried it?
Short answer, yes you can use a wired remote with the Mk III. The port cover is just below the SD Card door as shown in your photo above. I use a Pixel Pro TW.-283TX which can be used along with the Pixel Pro TW-283RX wireless receiver as a wireless trigger. The TW-283TX can also double as a wired trigger by plugging in the wireless trigger cord directly into the TW-283 TX directly into the camera port. Link: amazon.com : Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT XTi XS XSi T1i T2i T3 T3i T4i T5 T5i T6i SL1 EOS1300D 300D 60D 60Da 70D 80D : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-09-2022, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Short answer, yes you can use a wired remote with the Mk III. The port cover is just below the SD Card door as shown in your photo above. I use a Pixel Pro TW.-283TX which can be used along with the Pixel Pro TW-283RX wireless receiver as a wireless trigger. The TW-283TX can also double as a wired trigger by plugging in the wireless trigger cord directly into the TW-283 TX directly into the camera port. Link: amazon.com : Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT XTi XS XSi T1i T2i T3 T3i T4i T5 T5i T6i SL1 EOS1300D 300D 60D 60Da 70D 80D : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Looks like a nice setup. If I didn't already have the Pentax wireless and another I-forget-which-one wired I'd seriously consider it.

05-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you gatorguy and Larrymc.

Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these!

(I do know all about wired remotes! Been doing that for 15 years with Pentax and Canon XT line)
05-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you gatorguy and Larrymc.

Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these!

(I do know all about wired remotes! Been doing that for 15 years with Pentax and Canon XT line)
The Pixel units work really well and have a trigger range of more than 50ft and aren't directional like the IR remote is. If you get a Pixel you might want to contact them for a coiled 3ft cable which is substantially longer than the standard cord.
05-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Looks like a nice setup. If I didn't already have the Pentax wireless and another I-forget-which-one wired I'd seriously consider it.
The great thing about the Pixel unit is the range and you can use it off axis from the IR port. The link I posted says Canon compatible but also works well with Pentax bodies. I've used mine on my K-50, K-3 Mk I and K-3 MkIII

05-10-2022, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said yes. It uses the same 3 conductor 2.5mm connector used by the K-3 and others. I have used it with my intervalometer and home made cable releases (made for easy use in the dark with mittens on).
05-10-2022, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
As others have said yes. It uses the same 3 conductor 2.5mm connector used by the K-3 and others. I have used it with my intervalometer and home made cable releases (made for easy use in the dark with mittens on).
Great. Thanks. I, too, have lots of home-made options for firing everything from my K-10 onward.

I wonder why they don't put at least some attention to this in the manual.

Just pulled the trigger at B&H - free battery grip, and no tax with their Payboo card!!

Last edited by AstroDave; 05-10-2022 at 09:43 AM.
05-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why they don't put at least some attention to this in the manual.
My guess is it is such a small thing that it isn't a make or brake issue and Ricoh would love to sell you a new cable release.
05-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a Vello 2.5 mm wired remote that i bought at B and H. I had to file down the plastic base for a more secure connection (deeper fit), but it works most of the time. It was inexpensive also. I usually use it for long exposures. I have also seen information saying that if you get the straight plug base type of wired remotes that the connection is better than the angled base type.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-10-2022 at 12:07 PM.
05-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a Vello 2.5 mm wired remote that i bought at B and H. I had to file down the plastic base for a more secure connection (deeper fit), but it works most of the time. It was inexpensive also. I usually use it for long exposures. I have also seen information saying that if you get the straight plug base type of wired remotes that the connection is better than the angled base type.
That's the fact, the angled connector works loose easily and the base diameter on some have to reduced for proper seating. So a straight plug should seat better.
05-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired release problem!

The K3 mark 3 wired release operates differently than all the previous high end models from the K10D to the K3 mark 2. With the older models with the T & S wires providing autofocus and the R & S wires providing shutter. It is possible to separately focus or trip the shutter.

With the K33 the T & S still provide autofocus, however the R & S do not function! All three wires must be shorted together then the camera will focus and subsequently release the shutter. There is no way to separate the two functions. The extant CS205 is wired that way, so it will work with the K33.

The K33 can NOT trip the shutter without refocusing!

There is a thread discussing this problem already:

Cable release issue - PentaxForums.com