Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2022, 07:02 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Airshow Video

Here's some footage from last Saturday at an airshow in Atlanta. This one is clips of the awesome Aeroshell team with their T-6's. My first video attempt with the K3.3, and I was hesitant to use the video stabilization but maybe I should have tried. I never used it on previous Pentax bodies because it was awful. Of course, the 55-300 PLM is excellent for this sort of thing! I used a Swivi foldable LCD viewfinder and a hotshoe-mounted Rode mic with deadcat. Sorry for the dirty sensor

05-16-2022, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually think it came out pretty well for a first attempt. Did you shoot it at full HD? I don't have the K-3III, but might try some video on my KP with the same lens. Thanks for posting.
05-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I actually think it came out pretty well for a first attempt. Did you shoot it at full HD? I don't have the K-3III, but might try some video on my KP with the same lens. Thanks for posting.
Thanks- it was my first attempt with the K3.3, but I've messed with video on my other Pentax bodies before. I actually still have my pair of KP's- they are keepers
05-17-2022, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
This one is clips of the awesome Aeroshell team with their T-6's. My first video attempt with the K3.3, and I was hesitant to use the video stabilization but maybe I should have tried.
That's a great looking video. Like many camera users who try video (and often complained about Pentax video capabilities), a two axis gimbal, even would have greatly improved the steadiness of the recordings. I originally acquired a gimbal head for wildlife/long lens photography, and it's also great for video, because the gimbal greased barrings only allow smooth movements on two axis, no vibrations or shake, while allowing to smoothly follow subjects (like birds, aircrafts). In camera stabilization works (any brand), gimbals are at another level. IMO, it's better to disable camera sensor stabilization and use a gimbal for controlled movements.

05-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a great looking video. Like many camera users who try video (and often complained about Pentax video capabilities), a two axis gimbal, even would have greatly improved the steadiness of the recordings. I originally acquired a gimbal head for wildlife/long lens photography, and it's also great for video, because the gimbal greased barrings only allow smooth movements on two axis, no vibrations or shake, while allowing to smoothly follow subjects (like birds, aircrafts). In camera stabilization works (any brand), gimbals are at another level. IMO, it's better to disable camera sensor stabilization and use a gimbal for controlled movements.
Thanks! Yeah, it's really hard without a stabilizer, but aren't those gimbals huge? Seems like it would be ungainly to use in a crowd.
05-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks good for handheld shooting

---------- Post added 05-17-22 at 20:10 ----------

Thanks! Yeah, it's really hard without a stabilizer, but aren't those gimbals huge? Seems like it would be ungainly to use in a crowd.
I have gimbal, it is a bit big, but it does help. But for this kind of material I’d rather have even monopod + videohead to steady the movement and to have some support
05-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's some footage from last Saturday at an airshow in Atlanta. This one is clips of the awesome Aeroshell team with their T-6's. My first video attempt with the K3.3, and I was hesitant to use the video stabilization but maybe I should have tried. I never used it on previous Pentax bodies because it was awful. Of course, the 55-300 PLM is excellent for this sort of thing! I used a Swivi foldable LCD viewfinder and a hotshoe-mounted Rode mic with deadcat. Sorry for the dirty sensor

https://youtu.be/ys7BgXuBPxc
Damn good for a first attempt!!

05-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Damn good for a first attempt!!
Thanks!
05-22-2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Looks good for handheld shooting

---------- Post added 05-17-22 at 20:10 ----------

I have gimbal, it is a bit big, but it does help. But for this kind of material I’d rather have even monopod + videohead to steady the movement and to have some support
...or monopod with gimbel? Wimberley Monogimbel.
05-23-2022, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
...or monopod with gimbel? Wimberley Monogimbel.
I'v used also monopod with gimbal(and with gimbal I do mean one which has motors, not gimbal used for example with long lenses and heavy tripod

it does work also quite well, light tripod has the advantage of possibility for you to have it on stative when you are not using it but it still is kind of active. I have tripod which can be assembled also as a monopod.