Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2022, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 III gave me a scare

I’ve had a series of Pentax cameras all water resistant. K10D,K7,K3 and now K3III and never had any issues despite the fact that I let them get rained on. This weekend though the K3III gave me a bit of a scare (It’s all good in the end). I was taking a picture that included a nice rainbow and then the rain really picked up. No problem camera and I were wet and I was still shooting but then I couldn’t see anything on the rear screen. I couldn’t get play to work or even get the info to come up. I walked back to my vehicle and when I got inside I tried again with no luck. I started to wipe the camera off a little and that’s when I realized it wasn't the screen at all it was that there was water on the eye sensor. The screen wouldn't come on because it detected something at the eyecup.

05-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As soon as I read the rear screen not coming on, my first thought was water on the face sensor. Lol
05-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It can be turned off or the sensitivity reduced. I wonder if setting the sensitivity to Low would get around the water issue.

I just noticed that "AE with Eye Sensor" on my K3iii was turned off (C4 menu). Is that the default? In that case, does metering only begin when the shutter release button is pushed?
05-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It can be turned off or the sensitivity reduced. I wonder if setting the sensitivity to Low would get around the water issue.

I just noticed that "AE with Eye Sensor" on my K3iii was turned off (C4 menu). Is that the default? In that case, does metering only begin when the shutter release button is pushed?
So was mine, I'm not sure what to think of the AE with Eye Sensor setting?

05-18-2022, 02:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I’ve had a series of Pentax cameras all water resistant. K10D,K7,K3 and now K3III and never had any issues despite the fact that I let them get rained on. This weekend though the K3III gave me a bit of a scare (It’s all good in the end). I was taking a picture that included a nice rainbow and then the rain really picked up. No problem camera and I were wet and I was still shooting but then I couldn’t see anything on the rear screen. I couldn’t get play to work or even get the info to come up. I walked back to my vehicle and when I got inside I tried again with no luck. I started to wipe the camera off a little and that’s when I realized it wasn't the screen at all it was that there was water on the eye sensor. The screen wouldn't come on because it detected something at the eyecup.
Unfortunately you make the same mistake as many others: WR stands for WEATHER resistant, not WATER resistant. If your K-3 Mark III gets wet inside your warranty is void! Remember the post about travelling with the K-3 III in that canoe? Each of your camera's is sealed for preventing dust or a little humidity to enter the camera. It can not stand a shower.
05-18-2022, 04:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Unfortunately you make the same mistake as many others: WR stands for WEATHER resistant, not WATER resistant. If your K-3 Mark III gets wet inside your warranty is void! Remember the post about travelling with the K-3 III in that canoe? Each of your camera's is sealed for preventing dust or a little humidity to enter the camera. It can not stand a shower.
It certainly could stand a shower. I've used my K-3 Mark III in a moderate shower with the 55-300PLM and it was perfectly fine. I used my old K-30 with the 18-55 kit lens in an absolute downpour and it was fine. There are videos on YouTube of Pentaxians dunking their camera under a faucet to no apparent ill effect.

But no guarantees. The warranty documents clearly state that they won't cover any water damage no matter how it got there.
05-18-2022, 05:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It certainly could stand a shower. I've used my K-3 Mark III in a moderate shower with the 55-300PLM and it was perfectly fine. I used my old K-30 with the 18-55 kit lens in an absolute downpour and it was fine. There are videos on YouTube of Pentaxians dunking their camera under a faucet to no apparent ill effect.

But no guarantees. The warranty documents clearly state that they won't cover any water damage no matter how it got there.
In these situations the judicious use of common sense would be a plus.

05-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
As I said I have never had a problem with water and any of my Pentax cameras my only mistake was not immediately realizing the sensor which transmits and receives an optical signal was being impacted by water on it.
05-20-2022, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
As I said I have never had a problem with water and any of my Pentax cameras my only mistake was not immediately realizing the sensor which transmits and receives an optical signal was being impacted by water on it.
I wouldn't hesitate for a moment taking my WR Pentax camera and lens out in a rainstorm. In fact I have. Some owners will rinse their camera off under a faucet. What I would not do is allow it to be submerged, or even sitting for any period of time in a tiny bit of standing water, for example the bottom of a canoe. Left long enough water will find a way.

Rain doesn't worry me. The water resistance of our Pentax cameras is pretty darn solid and reliable.