Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2022, 10:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
I am an electrical engineer. The third terminal is marked "T" for temperature. The batteries contain an embedded temperature sensor. For rapid charging, the charger uses the temperature data (along with the charging current) to help determine when the battery has reached full charge and to ensure it doesn't overheat during the charge cycle.
What is the 4th pin for as used in some newer batteries and the Pentax K-BC90H charger?

05-25-2022, 01:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
What is the 4th pin for as used in some newer batteries and the Pentax K-BC90H charger?
+
-
T: A resistor, 10kohm, probably temperature dependant between T and -

the fourth terminal could be the middle connection between the two cells in the battery. But I am only guessing here...... The battery have some internal electronics to make sure the cells are balanced. But they can only handle currents up to a certain level. If you want to quick charge batteries, the charger itself could make sure the cells are balanced and my guess is that the 4th connection is for this purpose.
05-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpotmaticGuy Quote
Hi, I just took delivery of my K3 III and my first new Pentax in about a decade. I'd like to get an auxiliary battery charger, one that plugs into a wall socket and that can charge a standard battery for the K3. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I like to recommend this charging times comparision table:
New Ricoh Charger - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 05-29-2022 at 02:49 PM.
05-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I like to recommend this charging times comparision table:
New Ricoh Charger - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
FYI,
Your last link isn't good, going to a German site.

05-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
FYI,
Your last link isn't good, going to a German site.
Thx, i replaced it with the backside image of the charger.
05-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had 6 of these for some years and been happy with them: https://pts-trading.de/en/patona-synchron-usb-charger-f.-pentax-d-li90-d-li90-with-lcd-3187

Biggest downside is the battery plate, which over time can get deformed due to heat. They can be temporarily fixed by unscrewing bottom plate and straightening it - and in worst case, replace them entirely. I've so far straightened some recently, but not replaced any yet.
05-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got this, works fine for K-3 III (and K-01) batteries

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/640555-REG/Pentax_39835_K_BC90_Batter...981&

05-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The new USB powered BC77 charger is 4 times faster than the old BC90.
06-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got the D-BC177 Travel Charger. I have a couple of the old BC90s so I'm good for plug-in charging and I don't need speed. I have a cheap DLi90 charger with a micro USB cord, Kastar brand, but it only works now if you wiggle the cord just right. Inevitably I'll get it working and it stops when I look away, not good for charging. The D-BC177 Travel Charger has USB-C so it's the wave of the future. What was not clear to me was the required voltage input. It looks like it will still charge connected to a 5V 2A source. I'm sure this is a slow charge, but when actually traveling, I'm likely to plug into an unspecified USB port on a hotel lamp or airport chair or a rental car. I don't want to worry about the twenty different USB connectors and permutations. It seems like the D-BC177 Travel Charger will cover my needs.
06-10-2022, 09:28 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
The new D-BC177 can use the usb cable and plug that comes with the K-3 III.
That's useful information. I'll be leaving for a few days on a little photo expedition, and that should give me a better idea of what I'll need. I'm inclined to go with the D-BC177, but I'm unsure about a more powerful battery. The Pentax battery is 1800 mah (doing that from memory) and I've seen some batteries rated at 2300. Might there be a problem with higher-rated batteries? Thanks!
06-10-2022, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpotmaticGuy Quote
That's useful information. I'll be leaving for a few days on a little photo expedition, and that should give me a better idea of what I'll need. I'm inclined to go with the D-BC177, but I'm unsure about a more powerful battery. The Pentax battery is 1800 mah (doing that from memory) and I've seen some batteries rated at 2300. Might there be a problem with higher-rated batteries? Thanks!
Most third party batteries have inflated mah figures. I’ve never found any that outlast the original. Some are close to equal, none are better.