Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2022, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
Back from the National meet...had a terrible time with the camera stopping mid-shoot and had to frequently turn it off and on again mid race event. I don't think it is a buffer thing, as the lens won't focus, nothing happens when pushing the shutter release button and the only way to "wake it up" was to turn off and on again. Very frustrated with this new camera having this issue all of a sudden. Lots of money and previous to this, no issues. Should I do a re-set of the camera? Is it a problem with the last firm ware update?
I've had my K3iii behave like this twice with 20-40 Limited attached. It stopped focusing and the shutter wasn't working even tho I have AF set for shutter priority. First time it was after waking camera up from standby. Seconds was between shots, just single shots, not a series. After turning camera off the memory light was blinking for couple of seconds like it was clearing buffer but it shouldn't have any photos to write. I checked the lens contacts, battery, did a factory reset between first and second issue, still have no idea what could it be but I'm not very happy to hear that it can happen more frequently.

05-31-2022, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I'm on 1.41 since day one of release and haven't had any issues.

Here's some troubleshooting you can do to see if it's just a settings thing or if it's the camera...

For action in AF.C, set it to release priority. That way, the camera won't care if it's in focus or not.

Make sure that the AF option (viewfinder shooting) is set to "drive lens" when AF fails.

The other thing is are you bursting your shots?
Say 5 shots, track subject for a second, burst 5 more, track for a second, burst 10, etc. That will be faster than the buffer can clear so you'll hit the "buffer wall" and you'll have to wait until it clears (look at the orange led by the card door to see if it's active). If the led is active, then the camera is processing images/data (clearing the buffer). Once the led turns off, the buffer is clear for another 32 max shots or so.
Hi Kobie, Thank you for your suggestions. I will change from Focus priority to Release priority. I am doing both, bursting and just shooting H on AF.C. I will pay attention to which way makes it do stop and watch the LED. I talked with a technician today from Ricoh Imaging. She had me reset to factory settings, I then re-did my settings for sports photography (AF.C on H, RAW DNG, etc.). I shot a Section Track meet today for high schools and it was a bit better.

Thank you so much for your help...and your great videos!
Teresa
06-01-2022, 04:19 AM   #18

I have the same problem with K-3 III + D FA 70-200 2.8. In the middle of a session both the AF button and shutter button would stop responding for a long period - until I turned the camera off/on again. I used the same APS-C settings as on my K-1 (where I never had this problem). Will look into it further and see if I can see any patterns.
07-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

FWIW If the SD card door does not close properly camera will appear to be dead.