Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why does my Pentax k-3 Mark iii stop shooting in the middle of a photo burst?

I am having a new problem with my K-3 Mark III with my 70-200mm f2.8 lens during my sports photography jobs: in the middle of shooting an event, in this case track meet event, the camera will stop working during a burst and the lens will not focus. I need to turn the whole thing off and on before it "comes to". Do I have something set wrong on my AF-C settings? I have previously had no problems at all and find it tracks so well. I got a new Pentax 70-200mm lens, thinking it was the lens, but the new one does the same thing. I did some photo shooting of the eclipse, so wonder if I messed with the settings somehow and messed up my sports shooting. Please help, as i have a big NCAA track meet this week! Thank you!

Last edited by loyalt; 05-23-2022 at 10:21 PM.
05-23-2022, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have distortion corrections on, try turning them off. This setting will lock up burst mode once the buffer is full.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2022, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Can you tell us which SD cards you are using please.
05-23-2022, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
in this case track meet event, the camera will stop working during a burst and the lens will not focus.
Is your camera memory card read/writing indicator blinking after the camera stop working?

05-24-2022, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #5

Check the following to isolate the problem:

- AFC settings focus or release priority
- Disable the lens correction features and highlight and shadow (D-Range correction) and other gimmicky features.
- Check, reformat, replace the SD card preferably UHS-2 in first card slot. Use SD cards from a renowned company (Sandisk, Lexar, Sony,...)

- Disable writing to both cards.
- Battery OEM or third party, how old are they?
- Remove the battery from the camera body for a couple of minutes.

- ... suggestions from other members

- Although not a very pleasant perspective regarding all the settings in th K3iii as last resort a full camera reset.
05-24-2022, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

One has to ask the old chestnut … is the firmware up to date?
My K-3iii continues to "hang" occasionally, (latest occasion yesterday), requiring a "switch-off-switch-on" to get it going again, but it's a lot more reliable than it was when new!
05-24-2022, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #7

Have a look at your lens and lens mount contacts if they are clean.

05-24-2022, 03:36 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Check your setting under "Action when AF Fails". I've always had mine as Drive Lens (default?), but last weekend I tried Stop Lens out of curiosity and it does pause a burst until focus is achieved again.
05-24-2022, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #9

Did some testing today with the 55-300 plm and noticed I could not shoot in high frames rates the camera locked up. I could only shoot single frame although I had a high shutter speed. After some menu diving I noticed I changed the shutter mode selection to electronic shutter instead of mechanical shutter (Shooting settings 4). After reverting to the default mechanical shutter the camera worked as intended.
Although I was of the assumption this setting would only affect live view it does affect OVF shooting.
05-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eric1965 Quote
Did some testing today with the 55-300 plm and noticed I could not shoot in high frames rates the camera locked up. I could only shoot single frame although I had a high shutter speed. After some menu diving I noticed I changed the shutter mode selection to electronic shutter instead of mechanical shutter (Shooting settings 4). After reverting to the default mechanical shutter the camera worked as intended.
Although I was of the assumption this setting would only affect live view it does affect OVF shooting.
I played with electronic shutter last night, set to high-speed burst. As far as I can determine it's slower than the mechanical shutter, maybe 7 frames a second. I'm also fairly sure I was using the 55-300PLM at the time too, but it could have been a Sigma 35Art since I was testing both with a few different settings.
05-25-2022, 07:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have distortion corrections on, try turning them off. This setting will lock up burst mode once the buffer is full.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions! I have newer SD cards, SanDisk Extreme Pro, 300MB/s, 64gb, UHS 2 in both slots. I am writing to only one card at a time...need all the card space for a track meet! The firmware is the most current, 1.41 I believe. (the one with the Astrotracer enabling.) I will check on the distortion corrections, but I have never enabled them, so not sure how/when they would have been activated. I will clean the connections on both the lens and camera. I just received the lens from B&H, so hopefully it is not a problem with being clean. I noticed that Face Priority was turned on somehow...would that do it? Also, in the "D-Range" correction (Adam, is this the distortion correction you were mentioning?) both of the Highlight and Shadow Correction were on Auto, which I did not set. I have turned them both off.

---------- Post added 05-25-22 at 07:58 AM ----------

I am a bit confused by the choices in "Action in AF.C" setting and "1st Frame Action in AF.C" setting...which would be best for high speed sports action sequences?

Also, does subject recognition enabling slow things up, possibly?

Last edited by loyalt; 05-25-2022 at 08:04 AM. Reason: duplicate info in reply
05-25-2022, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, in the "D-Range" correction (Adam, is this the distortion correction you were mentioning?) both of the Highlight and Shadow Correction were on Auto
I don't think these would significantly slow things down. The one I am referring to is the leftmost icon in the 3rd row below (may be located elsewhere in your control panel, but it's in the main menu in any case):

Clarity corrections carry the same performance degradation, but I doubt you'd have that enabled (icon immediately above the distortion one).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think these would significantly slow things down. The one I am referring to is the leftmost icon in the 3rd row below (may be located elsewhere in your control panel, but it's in the main menu in any case):

Clarity corrections carry the same performance degradation, but I doubt you'd have that enabled (icon immediately above the distortion one).
Ok, thank you, Adam. I found the settings and turned them off. I am praying it all goes well tomorrow at the NCAA National Track & Field meet here at the SPIRE in Geneva, OH! Thank you!
05-31-2022, 02:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back from the National meet...had a terrible time with the camera stopping mid-shoot and had to frequently turn it off and on again mid race event. I don't think it is a buffer thing, as the lens won't focus, nothing happens when pushing the shutter release button and the only way to "wake it up" was to turn off and on again. Very frustrated with this new camera having this issue all of a sudden. Lots of money and previous to this, no issues. Should I do a re-set of the camera? Is it a problem with the last firm ware update?
05-31-2022, 04:39 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back from the National meet...had a terrible time with the camera stopping mid-shoot and had to frequently turn it off and on again mid race event. I don't think it is a buffer thing, as the lens won't focus, nothing happens when pushing the shutter release button and the only way to "wake it up" was to turn off and on again. Very frustrated with this new camera having this issue all of a sudden. Lots of money and previous to this, no issues. Should I do a re-set of the camera? Is it a problem with the last firm ware update?
I'm on 1.41 since day one of release and haven't had any issues.

Here's some troubleshooting you can do to see if it's just a settings thing or if it's the camera...

For action in AF.C, set it to release priority. That way, the camera won't care if it's in focus or not.

Make sure that the AF option (viewfinder shooting) is set to "drive lens" when AF fails.

The other thing is are you bursting your shots?
Say 5 shots, track subject for a second, burst 5 more, track for a second, burst 10, etc. That will be faster than the buffer can clear so you'll hit the "buffer wall" and you'll have to wait until it clears (look at the orange led by the card door to see if it's active). If the led is active, then the camera is processing images/data (clearing the buffer). Once the led turns off, the buffer is clear for another 32 max shots or so.