Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #1
Closed Account

k3iii price drop

On my facebook stream, that has a couple Pentax groups in it, I seen just now that someone posted about how the k3iii has experienced a major price drop (and asked what's wrong with the camera)....

So I checked Amzon, and indeed a new one is selling for

$1,696.95

Comments please...

06-04-2022, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
On my facebook stream, that has a couple Pentax groups in it, I seen just now that someone posted about how the k3iii has experienced a major price drop (and asked what's wrong with the camera)....

So I checked Amzon, and indeed a new one is selling for

$1,696.95

Comments please...
It went on sale in May:
Save $300 on the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2022, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Comments please...
Yes you are right. I just realized the K3 III would be a good camera for you.
06-04-2022, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get it it's a great machine.

06-05-2022, 12:01 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While you’re at it, the Nikon D500 originally shipped at $2000 body only and can be had now for a similar discount. Ask the guy what’s wrong with that camera too.
06-05-2022, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
While you’re at it, the Nikon D500 originally shipped at $2000 body only and can be had now for a similar discount. Ask the guy what’s wrong with that camera too.
I think I paid GBP £625 for my K-3II just before it was discontinued. I've not yet found what's wrong with it... but for that price, I guess something must be?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-05-2022 at 04:11 AM.
06-05-2022, 01:35 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Comments please...
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think I paid GBP £625 for my K-3II just before it was discontinued. I've not yet found what's wrong with it... but for that price, I guess something must be?
The only problem with the K3 iii is trying to find a good reason NOT to love it!!!!

06-05-2022, 03:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Price drop?

I thought that the initial pricing was based on a premium for photographers for the honour to help Ricoh to find out the teething problems of the K3 Mark III .
06-05-2022, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I thought that the initial pricing was based on a premium for photographers for the honour to help Ricoh to find out the teething problems of the K3 Mark III .
It's usually the case that Ricoh - and other manufacturers - have initial release prices for their products, and eager early-adopters pay the premium (if you want to call it that)... then, once the initial rush of buying starts to tail off, the prices are reduced somewhat. In this case, it was quite a substantial price drop, so I tend to think there was more to it - such as bringing the pricing more in line with competitive products (e.g. Nikon D500).

All cameras these days are so complicated that teething problems aren't uncommon. I don't think Ricoh or any other manufacturer intentionally releases a "buggy" product to market, as it's counter-productive for their reputation... but some issues with a camera of this complexity are, unfortunately, to be expected. Most (usually all) can be addressed in whole or part with firmware updates...
06-06-2022, 02:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera is not car. It gets cheaper when it grows older. There is nothing wrong with it, just it is older, premium early adopters paid what we were supposed to pay and now price is down to make it affordable for those who have not bought it early because of price. I suppose 300$ were additional "nice to have" profit for Ricoh.
06-06-2022, 03:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously there is nothing wrong with the K-3 III -- except the lack of a tilting back screen, I guess. This is a normal discount pattern that happens with any new release. Recent vintage Pentax cameras have not had any where near the discounts that older cameras used to get near the end of their life cycle. If I recall correctly, the K-5 came out at 1600 dollars and eventually dropped into the 750 dollar range at the very end of its run. That's a 50 percent discount and we don't see that sort of discount any more.
06-06-2022, 09:57 AM - 6 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can tell you want is wrong with the K-3iii, or at least what was wrong with mine last Thursday night. I forgot it at home charging when I went out to the old stone barn and only remembered when I was about 1.5 hours into the 3.5 hour drive out there. It was completely unusable for shooting the milky way over this old abandoned stone barn in far west central Minnesota With what I paid for that thing it should transport itself to me when needed instead I made do with the K-3 and K-3ii which had the courtesy to get in the vehicle unlike that K-3iii.
06-06-2022, 12:59 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far: I had to settle for that horrible silver color. Shutter is weirdly quiet. 12fps scary.

Rear screen tilts just fine, it is just not independent of the rest of the camera.
06-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loved the last 2 comments! LOL

06-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very tempting price. I am kicking myself for not getting one of the refurbished form Ricoh USA for only $1,399. It has been over 4 years since I got my K1-II. The K3-III has been calling me back to APSc since it came out. So far I have resisted that temptation. My poor little K3 sits unused for long periods of time time since I got my first K1 in 2016.

Never forgot a camera, but I did forget to bring a charger on one trip to Yellowstone. Thank goodness for Bob"s Photo (now closed) in Bismarck ND. They were able to fix me up with a third party one. FWIW, Yellowstone is three days of serious driving away from home for me.