Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #1

Silly question about positioning the K3 III in a camera bag.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Dear All,

I just have this beautiful and great machine and i have a silly question about carrying it in a bag.
With earlier cameras i most often used to put the machine in any bag with the lens upside as it seemed to be the most stable and convenient way for carrying the machine with me.
Now this machine has this joystick thing on it which is popping out from the body a little bit. If i put it onto any surface this way then the stick is pushed a little bit and i think it can do a damage on the long term.

I'm curious of your view on this topic......

Levente

06-09-2022, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I'd carry the k3III with the rear display down at the bottom of a bag. For me personally, cracking the glass by setting things down a bit too hard or on the wrong surface would be more of a concern than the joystick button. I'd carry the camera just as you would putting it on a table: base down.
06-09-2022, 03:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lengthwise with the grip up. Fastest and easiest way to get it out to shoot. Sadly most camera bags aren't designed this way. But the ones that are, are my favourites.
06-09-2022, 04:15 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wrap it loosely with cloth

06-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
SFX

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Lengthwise with the grip up. Fastest and easiest way to get it out to shoot. Sadly most camera bags aren't designed this way. But the ones that are, are my favourites.
Totally agree, this is the best way. Easy to grab. And you won't damage anything.
06-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I also usually put my camera bodies base down, if the camera bag will accommodate it.
06-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I use a bag, it's either a holster type camera bag which is narrower at the bottom so the only orientation that camera + lens will fit is with the lens at the bottom and the camera at the top.
The other bag I sometimes use isn't even a dedicated camera bag, it's just a messenger bag which I'll put a t shirt into for some padding and then I just put everything in any way it fits and hopefully won't damage anything. That can be 1 or 2 cameras with fitted lens, either in the same orientation as in the other bag or sideways, and some additional lenses. I once got a soft Pentax cloth in a used camera stuff deal and will wrap that around lens and camera when I'm using that bag, but otherwise I'm not overly concerned about the orientation of my cameras in the bags. I only try to exercise caution when handling the bag, most of the time carrying it close to my body, and being careful when setting it down.

06-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use sling bags to carry my gear and typically insert my cameras either base-down or on their left side such that the grip is at the top. If the lens is small enough, I will sometimes put the camera in with lens pointed down. My bags are fairly well padded so the orientation probably doesn't matter much.
06-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly this bag is unavailable now but was included as a free gift when I purchased my original K3

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586028-REG/Lowepro_LP35299_PEU_Classi...981&

It just works so well and takes 2 lenses (even the new 55-300 and a 16-50 either mounted on body.

Lens down and great accessory pouches...

---------- Post added 09-06-22 at 11:24 PM ----------

This seems to be the new equivalent (I am in UK)

Lowepro Nova 140 AW II Camera Bag - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If this is available in Hungary I would highly recommend it..
06-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the bag won't be reconfigured often, one option is to cut a piece of some kind of foam with a small cut hole or plucked divot right where the joystick will be, so that the majority of the camera is supported but the joystick has a little spot it won't take any abuse. Added bonus of even more protection for the camera.
06-22-2022, 02:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers,
I have an old Lowepro Nova 3 AW yet, it's quite similar to the Nova 180 AW series, maybe the predecessor of it.

I decided to place the camera in the bag upwards, with the lens downwards. Maybe it's not that stable this way, but i think this is how it should be.

Best Regards,
Levente