Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New K3 III FW 1.50 - Is that it!

A whole update for a feature that only works with 2 lenses and is 'seasonal'....really is that it Pentax?

"By upgrading PENTAX K-3 Mark III (ver.1.50), the following functions are added.
1. New Custom Image “KATEN”
● KATEN (summer sky)
This special-edition, season-specific Custom Image mode is designed to emphasize the
rich blues of summer skies and depict the fine details of dazzling white clouds.
This mode can be selected only in combination with:
HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR
HD PENTAX-DA 15mmF4ED AL Limited lenses.
Both lenses feature an ultra-wide angle of view and the latest HD (High Definition)
coating, which effectively minimizes the generation of ghost images even with images
captured under harsh summertime sunshine, or when the sun is in the image field. They
have been selected as the best partners for the KATEN mode because they optimize the
intended visual effects of the mode."

What else is hidden away folks?

06-26-2022, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
The old chestnut :-
"Improved stability for general performance"

They never admit to exactly what the problems were that needed correcting
06-26-2022, 04:09 PM - 8 Likes   #3

I am working in IT (software), doing quality control.

I suggest this :
- if you have not noticed any problem, it’s may be because you are not using that functionality that had a problem
- sometimes, it’s functions that are not (that much or not at all) noticeable by the user

As a amateur photographer, I have never noticed any «*problems*» that render my pictures badly.

So, why scaring users from things that has never been noticed?

At work, I totally agree to disclose what can be seen or noticeable by users, but if it’s memory management (better write speed by fraction of second) or any other «*internal*» change, why bother?

Personally, I have no problem with “Improve stability for general performance” message. In fact, it tells me Pentax is proactive at fixing things (that may have not been noticed yet).

My 2 cents.
06-26-2022, 04:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
Personally, I have no problem with “Improve stability for general performance” message. In fact, it tells me Pentax is proactive at fixing things (that may have not been noticed yet).

My 2 cents.
Yep, the issues they're fixing could be something so small that a 99.9999% of users wont even notice, and they couldve found a *very* minor issue early enough & fixed before it even became an issue.

06-26-2022, 06:02 PM - 8 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A whole update for a feature that only works with 2 lenses and is 'seasonal'....really is that it Pentax?
It cost you nothing, and it's not compulsory.

I see no cause for complaint.
06-26-2022, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It cost you nothing, and it's not compulsory.

I see no cause for complaint.
... especially since updates are cumulative, so you'll get whatever it gives later, when there is an update more to your liking.
06-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The old chestnut :-
"Improved stability for general performance"

They never admit to exactly what the problems were that needed correcting
It's not like Ricoh is the only company doing this.

06-26-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you never know. It could be that 5G/WiFi virus that people are worried about, but haven't found yet.
06-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
- if you have not noticed any problem, it’s may be because you are not using that functionality that had a problem
- sometimes, it’s functions that are not (that much or not at all) noticeable by the user
^^^ Exactly.

There have only been two firmware updates for Pentax cameras over the years where I immediately noticed the value of them. One was to access larger SD cards (I believe that was for the old *ist DL), and the other added further sharpening adjustments (I think that was for the K-3). I'm sure I must have benefited from other updates too - it's just that I wasn't aware of the specific fixes / improvements...
06-27-2022, 04:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

"By upgrading PENTAX K-3 Mark III (ver.1.50), the following functions are added.
1. New Custom Image “KATEN”
● KATEN (summer sky)
This special-edition, season-specific Custom Image mode is designed to emphasize the
rich blues of summer skies and depict the fine details of dazzling white clouds.
This mode can be selected only in combination with:
HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR
HD PENTAX-DA 15mmF4ED AL Limited lenses.
Both lenses feature an ultra-wide angle of view and the latest HD (High Definition)
coating, which effectively minimizes the generation of ghost images even with images
captured under harsh summertime sunshine, or when the sun is in the image field. They
have been selected as the best partners for the KATEN mode because they optimize the
intended visual effects of the mode."

As I always have bad thoughts: This kind of "update" could easily mask a problem that A) can only be corrected by the use of a K-3 III, which seems silly, or B) is a problem of the K-3 III that needs to be solved and which only occurs when using the K-3 III with lenses mentioned. With the D FA21mm Ltd which is specifically designed for FF, one would expect a firmware update of the K-1's if it is to give a better performance of said lens, not an APS-C K-3 III!
06-27-2022, 04:35 AM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you haven't noticed a problem it is because that's what they fixed in update 1.4 or 1.3 or whatever.
06-27-2022, 05:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing that Pentax is clear about is the addition of a Katen jpeg option for specific lenses. On the other hand, it is possible that there was some tweaking of auto focus functions or fixing some other bug beneath the surface. If you are happy with your current camera function and don't own the lenses covered then you can certainly wait to update it.
06-27-2022, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I understand not listing every minor fix. On the other hand if you've been bitten by said tiny bug it's great to know it has indeed been addressed. I mainly use free software and is used to knowing exactly what's going on. I find it a great and valuable feature.

Pentax is also over using "Improved stability for general performance" in line with their general tight lipped communications.
06-27-2022, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I understand not listing every minor fix. On the other hand if you've been bitten by said tiny bug it's great to know it has indeed been addressed. I mainly use free software and is used to knowing exactly what's going on. I find it a great and valuable feature.

Pentax is also over using "Improved stability for general performance" in line with their general tight lipped communications.
If Pentax left that phrase out of the update information, then untold numbers would be complaining about the phrase being left out. There would probably be a pages long thread about the missing phrase with multiple complaints.

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-27-2022 at 06:29 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
06-27-2022, 06:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
If Pentax left that phrase out of the update information, then untold numbers would be complaining about the phrase being left out. There would probably be a pages long thread about the missing phrase with multiple complaints.
Ha, yes it's comforting in its familiarity by now.

I did mean that they should be more precise and descriptive. Have they touched af code I need to know.