Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,822
Recording aperture on K and M series lens

Is there a way of selecting f/1.8? I seem to be locked into 1/2 stop adjustments starting at f/1.4 - f/2.0~...

Thanks in advance

07-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #2
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 9,301
What do you have your EV steps set to in the settings? Try 1/3 if set at 1/2.
07-02-2022, 12:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,088
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Is there a way of selecting f/1.8? I seem to be locked into 1/2 stop adjustments starting at f/1.4 - f/2.0~...
That'll be 1 stop increments ... (f/1.4 to f/2 is a whole stop)
Which seems to be a non-adjustable interval.
Which, if any, lens is fitted has no effect, it's purely a 'cosmetic' feature.
I just had a quick fiddle with my camera and an appropriate lens the scale is whole stops, from f/1, f/1.4, f/2 etc. through to f/64.
Changing the 'EV Steps' and/or 'ISO Sensitivity Steps' has no effect on the displayed aperture figure in the viewfinder when a non-A lens is fitted.
If you really need to record half-stop (or smaller) intervals, you'll need to revert to old-fashioned manual note-taking, possibly adjusting the EXIF after the event using exiftool or similar
Enjoy
07-02-2022, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,252
When I first got my K-3iii I thought this was a cool and useful feature. In practice, I forget to set it 95% of the time. As a result, the f-stops recorded in the exif are essentially random numbers.

07-02-2022, 03:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,146
Pentax lenses generally have first and last aperture click as full stops and the remaining intermediate clicks in 1/2 stops.

There is no way to select F1.7 or 1.8 on K and M 50/1.4 lenses
07-02-2022, 03:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,647
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Pentax lenses generally have first and last aperture click as full stops and the remaining intermediate clicks in 1/2 stops.

There is no way to select F1.7 or 1.8 on K and M 50/1.4 lenses
I made the same (wrong) assumption about the question as you when i first read the OP's post.

He is asking about the setting in the K3 III menu which "records" the aperture in the exif.
07-02-2022, 03:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,088
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
When I first got my K-3iii I thought this was a cool and useful feature. In practice, I forget to set it 95% of the time. As a result, the f-stops recorded in the exif are essentially random numbers.
As you say "cool and useful" for when you want the feature, say when making comparison tests between two (or more) lenses for 'bokeh' effect, overall sharpness etc.
In practice, I've found I need to record the lens details (make/model) as well, for the results to have any meaningful value, so the analogue notebook and pencil is rarely far away
In "real life" I usually leave the feature disabled to prevent future confusion

07-02-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,252
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
In "real life" I usually leave the feature disabled to prevent future confusion
I didn't know I could do that. Or did I turn it on when I got it and have since forgotten?! I should have guessed, almost everything has a custom setting. I'll turn mine off to save future confusion.
07-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,822
Original Poster
I'll have to get that fixed for the next firmware drop �� - off the top of my head there should be f/1.2, f/1.7, f/1.8 & f/1.9 alongside the included f/1.4 between f/1.0 & f/2.0 (Takumar's, K's & M's)
07-15-2022, 01:57 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 145
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
That'll be 1 stop increments ... (f/1.4 to f/2 is a whole stop)
Which seems to be a non-adjustable interval.
Which, if any, lens is fitted has no effect, it's purely a 'cosmetic' feature.
If I understood the issue the manual entered focal lenght value is not merely cosmetic: it affects the SR system AFAIK. I don't know if it affects also lens correction / distortion. For sure it affects astriphotography, because of SR system involved.

Danilo

Ciao
07-15-2022, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,088
QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
If I understood the issue the manual entered focal lenght value is not merely cosmetic: it affects the SR system AFAIK. I don't know if it affects also lens correction / distortion. For sure it affects astriphotography, because of SR system involved.
Danilo
Ciao
We're discussing entering the aperture setting when using a "non-A" lens on a K-3iii, a purely "cosmetic" feature which can be of use when sorting/comparing pictures after the event.
Entering the focal length of a non-a/f lens is a whole different parameter and, as you note, is necessary for the SR system to be able to function correctly.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, dslr, k-3 iii, k-3 mark 3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote controls and video recording Photodana Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 2 05-02-2022 06:14 AM
Auto Aperture FAQ - changing aperture using lenses without aperture ring angerdan Film SLRs and Compact Film Cameras 11 03-11-2022 02:03 PM
Lens w/o aperture ring + adaptor to M4/3 : effect of adjusting aperture on adaptor? timo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 08-18-2021 04:03 PM
Aperture control problems with variable aperture lenses (with aperture rings) gtxSeries Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 09-13-2017 01:11 PM
Pentax *istD not recording aperture and not taking photos. wolf Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 06-09-2008 11:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top