Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Recording aperture on K and M series lens

Is there a way of selecting f/1.8? I seem to be locked into 1/2 stop adjustments starting at f/1.4 - f/2.0~...

Thanks in advance

07-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #2

What do you have your EV steps set to in the settings? Try 1/3 if set at 1/2.
07-02-2022, 12:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Is there a way of selecting f/1.8? I seem to be locked into 1/2 stop adjustments starting at f/1.4 - f/2.0~...
That'll be 1 stop increments ... (f/1.4 to f/2 is a whole stop)
Which seems to be a non-adjustable interval.
Which, if any, lens is fitted has no effect, it's purely a 'cosmetic' feature.
I just had a quick fiddle with my camera and an appropriate lens the scale is whole stops, from f/1, f/1.4, f/2 etc. through to f/64.
Changing the 'EV Steps' and/or 'ISO Sensitivity Steps' has no effect on the displayed aperture figure in the viewfinder when a non-A lens is fitted.
If you really need to record half-stop (or smaller) intervals, you'll need to revert to old-fashioned manual note-taking, possibly adjusting the EXIF after the event using exiftool or similar
Enjoy
07-02-2022, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I first got my K-3iii I thought this was a cool and useful feature. In practice, I forget to set it 95% of the time. As a result, the f-stops recorded in the exif are essentially random numbers.

07-02-2022, 03:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax lenses generally have first and last aperture click as full stops and the remaining intermediate clicks in 1/2 stops.

There is no way to select F1.7 or 1.8 on K and M 50/1.4 lenses
07-02-2022, 03:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Pentax lenses generally have first and last aperture click as full stops and the remaining intermediate clicks in 1/2 stops.

There is no way to select F1.7 or 1.8 on K and M 50/1.4 lenses
I made the same (wrong) assumption about the question as you when i first read the OP's post.

He is asking about the setting in the K3 III menu which "records" the aperture in the exif.
07-02-2022, 03:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
When I first got my K-3iii I thought this was a cool and useful feature. In practice, I forget to set it 95% of the time. As a result, the f-stops recorded in the exif are essentially random numbers.
As you say "cool and useful" for when you want the feature, say when making comparison tests between two (or more) lenses for 'bokeh' effect, overall sharpness etc.
In practice, I've found I need to record the lens details (make/model) as well, for the results to have any meaningful value, so the analogue notebook and pencil is rarely far away
In "real life" I usually leave the feature disabled to prevent future confusion

07-02-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
In "real life" I usually leave the feature disabled to prevent future confusion
I didn't know I could do that. Or did I turn it on when I got it and have since forgotten?! I should have guessed, almost everything has a custom setting. I'll turn mine off to save future confusion.
07-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll have to get that fixed for the next firmware drop �� - off the top of my head there should be f/1.2, f/1.7, f/1.8 & f/1.9 alongside the included f/1.4 between f/1.0 & f/2.0 (Takumar's, K's & M's)
07-15-2022, 01:57 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
That'll be 1 stop increments ... (f/1.4 to f/2 is a whole stop)
Which seems to be a non-adjustable interval.
Which, if any, lens is fitted has no effect, it's purely a 'cosmetic' feature.
If I understood the issue the manual entered focal lenght value is not merely cosmetic: it affects the SR system AFAIK. I don't know if it affects also lens correction / distortion. For sure it affects astriphotography, because of SR system involved.

Danilo

Ciao
07-15-2022, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
If I understood the issue the manual entered focal lenght value is not merely cosmetic: it affects the SR system AFAIK. I don't know if it affects also lens correction / distortion. For sure it affects astriphotography, because of SR system involved.
Danilo
Ciao
We're discussing entering the aperture setting when using a "non-A" lens on a K-3iii, a purely "cosmetic" feature which can be of use when sorting/comparing pictures after the event.
Entering the focal length of a non-a/f lens is a whole different parameter and, as you note, is necessary for the SR system to be able to function correctly.