Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2022, 06:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Suspect not using raw?
Agreed … 64Gb using "best" JPG will hold just under 4,000 images … presumably larger cards will store pro rata.

07-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don’t know what software you use, but with Lightroom (Classic) I have it set up so that when I import files, they are renamed with the date as part of the name (also includes the camera model and a sequential number), and they are placed in a folder that LR creates that is named by the date of the shooting. I’m sure other software can do this also. So if I shoot for three days before downloading the photos, a folder for each date will be created and each photo will be put into the correct folder and have the date as part of the name. I have a sequential number that I choose to start at one, if I’m downloading from two cameras, I do have to start the numbering later, as in a number greater than the highest number of the previous batch from the same day or it will use the same numbers and add -1 to each photo’s name of the second download. My explanation may be confusing but the system works great and I’ve been using it for years. However the mobile or cloud based versions don’t let you change the name on import, at least to my knowledge.
07-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don’t know what software you use, but with Lightroom (Classic) I have it set up so that when I import files, they are renamed with the date as part of the name (also includes the camera model and a sequential number), and they are placed in a folder that LR creates that is named by the date of the shooting. I’m sure other software can do this also. So if I shoot for three days before downloading the photos, a folder for each date will be created and each photo will be put into the correct folder and have the date as part of the name. I have a sequential number that I choose to start at one, if I’m downloading from two cameras, I do have to start the numbering later, as in a number greater than the highest number of the previous batch from the same day or it will use the same numbers and add -1 to each photo’s name of the second download. My explanation may be confusing but the system works great and I’ve been using it for years. However the mobile or cloud based versions don’t let you change the name on import, at least to my knowledge.
This is the method I use, very simple to keep track of photos.
07-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

You are going to need to buy a new camera in two months !
Hello,

2 months?!! I'd say 2 weeks.... sadly

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Unfortunately Ricoh has opted to continue to conform to the file naming conventions of the Design Rule for Camera filing systems. You are not alone in your frustrations. The system is some what outdated being limited by the "eight dot three" file name length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

I'm sure others will share their workflow metheds to try to overcome the limitations.
HEllo,

Thank you so much and yes it is very frustrated!!

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I change the filename, so that it includes a leading number. so K1_0XXXX would be you counter, once you hit 9999, sou change filename to K1_1XXXX, K1_2XXXX, and so on. And yes you have to watch the filenames to catch the proper change
Thank you for your tip ;-)

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
No

If you used software to do this task, wouldn't that solve all your other problems as well?

ExifTool can rename files to virtually anything. You can find it on https://exiftool.org/

If you can write simple batch programs for your computer, this could automate all the tasks for you.

There is a full guide on the website above; but here is a link to the exact bit you need - https://exiftool.org/#filename

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much!

I am currently using iView pro (my client as a licence key) to rename the file but if I don't think to check the names of the original files, they're might be in the wrong order. So now I am reseting the file number every morning and it's okay since I am taking less than 9999 pictures but not so far ;-)

Bye

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I'm one of those weird linux users so I just use the bash shell and whip up a one line script to do it when I need to which isn't very often.

When I got my K-3iii and went and set things up how I wanted them to be I seem to remember that there may have been an option to reset the counter each day. I could be wrong or misremembering things as there were lots of options to play with.
Yeah that's true, you can reset the file number inside the menu.

Right now tha's what I am doing since I don't take 9999 pictures a day

Thank you

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 11:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
So I just have to ask - how could you possibly be taking 7000 photographs a day?
Assuming a 12 hour work day, 12 * 60 minutes = 720 minutes, which means about 10 photos per minute.
Hi,

Right now I am a sport photographer and I am taking pictures of cyclists, bikers, and sport cars in the french mountains.
It's a famous road, especially for cyclists, and I am up there from 9am to 3pm-4pm so 6 hours a day, meaning 16 pictures per minute for 6000 pictures a day.

Honestly it works great but seems a little weak for heavy sport photography. Meaning that the buffer size is not good enough because sometimes you miss the shot because it can't go more and that's frustrated but for my usual uses like portrait, landscapes even wildlife photograhy, which I do the most, it works great!