Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2022, 07:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Well, from personal experience using cans of "compressed" air over the years, I can say I would never use it to clean the camera sensor. Sometimes the chemical inside the can sprays out and leaves a layer of frozen material on the part you're blasting (it DOES happen). It only takes once for it to happen and who knows what that'll do to the sensor, so I'd rather use a hand squeeze bulb blower. The principal is similar to butane bottles. There is a chemical reaction happening inside the can/bottle to propel the element out of the can/bottle. It's just not worth the risk (to me).
"Freezing" effect is because of rapid gas decompression, not because of chemicals. Inside bottle is air and sometimes propane/butane miks or some other non flammable gass. There is nothing inside that can damage electronic, glass etc. If you are afraid you can buy clean, non flamable compressed air.

07-29-2022, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
^^^^ This. It is just that hand blower is lot cheaper especially in form of medical accessory, not "dedicated photo" one. You need to be really, really dense and a-technical to do harm with compressed air. Just don't stick the blower into mirror mechanism. I am using it to dust off my plastic models that are not in cases and of course computer - I am yet to damage them.
I have heard of instances, at least one on this very forum, of people using hand blowers and having dust or small bits of rubber from the bulb blow out onto the sensor. It kind of defeats the purpose of using the blower.

---------- Post added Jul 29th, 2022 at 08:52 AM ----------

Well, from personal experience using cans of "compressed" air over the years, I can say I would never use it to clean the camera sensor. Sometimes the chemical inside the can sprays out and leaves a layer of frozen material on the part you're blasting (it DOES happen). It only takes once for it to happen and who knows what that'll do to the sensor, so I'd rather use a hand squeeze bulb blower. The principal is similar to butane bottles. There is a chemical reaction happening inside the can/bottle to propel the element out of the can/bottle. It's just not worth the risk (to me).
One time I decided to see if this bit of hysteria had any real factual basis so here is what I did: I looked at the MSDS for a typical canned gas (Dust-Off). It's boiling point is -25ºC, which is chilly, but we aren't talking absolute zero. I've used my cameras in much colder weather for extended periods of time with no ill effect.
So then, I took my old istD SLR, put it in sensor cleaning mode, upended a can of canned gas and gave the sensor about a 15 second squirt of the stuff in it's liquid form. The entire mirror box was coated in frost. It took a minute for everything to dissipate, and after the mirror box was clear I put a lens on and lo and behold, it took a picture. A couple of weeks later I took another picture with it, and a couple of months later I took another one just to see if there was going to be any long term damage.
There wasn't.
I ended up giving the camera away a year or so later, and at that point it was still operating just fine.

So now you know why I think all these dire warnings about using canned gas for routine sensor cleaning is hysterical tripe.
07-29-2022, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IT here. I'm with Kobie, too risky IMO.

I never use those, if I *had* to (for work) I'd hold the computer sideways or slightly above the can and spray up (not down).

I have one of those rocket thingies for my cameras and that has been fine, I'm not a "change lenses out in the field" person anyway, I either have one lens on for the day or I go to my car and change it, so dust has not been too much of an issue for me. That said, my K-3 III is underused right now since I am horsing around with IR on the converted K-01.
07-29-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
IT here. I'm with Kobie, too risky IMO.

I never use those, if I *had* to (for work) I'd hold the computer sideways or slightly above the can and spray up (not down).

I have one of those rocket thingies for my cameras and that has been fine, I'm not a "change lenses out in the field" person anyway, I either have one lens on for the day or I go to my car and change it, so dust has not been too much of an issue for me. That said, my K-3 III is underused right now since I am horsing around with IR on the converted K-01.
IT here too. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Must be an IT thing lol

07-29-2022, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IT here too. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Must be an IT thing lol
IT people unite!
07-29-2022, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, the 600 F/4 seeing as it's a prime lens wouldn't be an issue. The 150-450 since it's a zoom lens would be a bigger issue. However, my K-30 and K-3 paired with the 55-300 PLM never attracted as much dust as the K-3 III with the same lens. My K-3 III just attracts a lot more dust than my other Pentax cameras for some reason.
Thanks for expanding on it Kobie.
07-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
IT people unite!
IT here :P and I don't unite. Must be Eastern thing to fix stuff with solid hit :P

07-30-2022, 12:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hazephoto Quote
I shot this today. I thought this would help some people. K-3 III seems to attract sensor dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tutjHXg_7Yo
Thanks so much for sharing!