Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2022, 01:50 PM - 8 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Easy Pentax K-3 mark III sensor cleaning

I shot this today. I thought this would help some people. K-3 III seems to attract sensor dust.

07-27-2022, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Kobie also had an issue with his K-3 III Sensor being a dust magnet. Mine is OK so far but this is very helpful, thanks!

07-27-2022, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks, Lee!

It was my old K-100D that was the dust magnet. I believed it had to be static electricity or something because that camera was really bad.
07-27-2022, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only had maybe two occasions where I have had dust on my sensor since I purchased it May 2021. I check it monthly and use a rocket blower whether I see sensor dust or not. it's always a good idea to give the Focus Module Lens a few shots from the Rocket blower since its at the bottom of the mirror box. My K-3 Mk I always had a problem with dust on the focus module lens.

07-27-2022, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

Can the cans of compressed air used to clean the dust out of computers etc. also be used or are they too powerful?
07-28-2022, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Can the cans of compressed air used to clean the dust out of computers etc. also be used or are they too powerful?
Usually considered unsuitable … check your user manual for recommendations.
There's also the issue of propellants reacting adversely with the internals of a camera and the cooling/freezing effect may cause issues as well.
I've known the SCSI configuration jumpers to be blown off the back of a hard drive by the over-enthusiastic use of pressurised 'air' … I'd not let anything like that near my mirror assembly!
07-28-2022, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Usually considered unsuitable … check your user manual for recommendations.
There's also the issue of propellants reacting adversely with the internals of a camera and the cooling/freezing effect may cause issues as well.
I've known the SCSI configuration jumpers to be blown off the back of a hard drive by the over-enthusiastic use of pressurised 'air' … I'd not let anything like that near my mirror assembly!
A big NO then

07-28-2022, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've only had maybe two occasions where I have had dust on my sensor since I purchased it May 2021. I check it monthly and use a rocket blower whether I see sensor dust or not. it's always a good idea to give the Focus Module Lens a few shots from the Rocket blower since its at the bottom of the mirror box. My K-3 Mk I always had a problem with dust on the focus module lens.
In the year+ I've had the K3III I've rarely seen any dust on the sensor. I did clean it anyway a few weeks ago, but dust simply hasn't been a problem. I had more issues with it on my old K-S2, but that might just be a difference in how often and where i did lens changes. Until recent years I wasn't as careful about avoiding lens changes outdoors in breezy or dusty conditions.

EDIT: Some long lenses are dust pumps and IIRC Kobie's issues with sensor dust were around the same time as he was trialing one, an FA600? No idea if a lens that invites dust might also introduce it to the camera body. Just spit ballin', but it might explain why some of us have had problems with sensor dust while others nada.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-28-2022 at 03:42 AM.
07-28-2022, 04:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was an issue for me, pretty heavy one and dust cleaning did not work so hand blower and occasionally wet cleaning was a norm. After last update I see it happen far less so maybe something in software of dust cleaning changed?
07-28-2022, 04:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A big NO then
Absolutely!
07-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what I have used to clean the innards of my SLR cameras since I started taking pictures. Apparently people scream like they are having kittens over this, so officially I don't recommend it.
However, in over 5 decades of camera ownership and almost 2 decades of DSLR ownership, I have yet to break a camera, nor have I found anyone who has, and I have tried.
I think canned gas is fine for routine sensor cleaning, but the people who haven't tried it and parrot back the hysterical ravings of the various naysayers are quite vocal in their objections, objections, l will point out are based on conjecture, not personal experience.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-28-2022 at 06:42 PM.
07-29-2022, 12:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^^ This. It is just that hand blower is lot cheaper especially in form of medical accessory, not "dedicated photo" one. You need to be really, really dense and a-technical to do harm with compressed air. Just don't stick the blower into mirror mechanism. I am using it to dust off my plastic models that are not in cases and of course computer - I am yet to damage them.
07-29-2022, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, from personal experience using cans of "compressed" air over the years, I can say I would never use it to clean the camera sensor. Sometimes the chemical inside the can sprays out and leaves a layer of frozen material on the part you're blasting (it DOES happen). It only takes once for it to happen and who knows what that'll do to the sensor, so I'd rather use a hand squeeze bulb blower. The principal is similar to butane bottles. There is a chemical reaction happening inside the can/bottle to propel the element out of the can/bottle. It's just not worth the risk (to me).
07-29-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use it too. Also use for cleaning negatives and slides to prep for scanning. Somewhere along the line I developed the habit of assessing a new can of air by spraying a regular mirror full blast to satisfy myself that it leaves no residue.

FWIW, there's no freezing with the little puffs one uses to clean the mirror box and sensor. You need a quick drop in air pressure for that. There's also no residue unless the bottle is held near horizontal or upside down..

Last edited by rogerstg; 07-29-2022 at 06:54 AM.
07-29-2022, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

EDIT: Some long lenses are dust pumps and IIRC Kobie's issues with sensor dust were around the same time as he was trialing one, an FA600? No idea if a lens that invites dust might also introduce it to the camera body. Just spit ballin', but it might explain why some of us have had problems with sensor dust while others nada.
Well, the 600 F/4 seeing as it's a prime lens wouldn't be an issue. The 150-450 since it's a zoom lens would be a bigger issue. However, my K-30 and K-3 paired with the 55-300 PLM never attracted as much dust as the K-3 III with the same lens. My K-3 III just attracts a lot more dust than my other Pentax cameras for some reason.