Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 202 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I had an unplanned early morning opportunity today to shoot the 14 and under portion of the wakeboarding national championships, and initially took only the D500 with Tamron 150-600 (bootin' and shootin'). It performed great, far better than the 55-300/Nikon combo

A couple of hours after returning home I went back with the K3III and 150-450. It too performed great. But that 600mm range was a definite advantage for the Nikon. I wished I could have filled the frame a bit more with the Pentax when the boarders were at the farthest end of the course.

Not having my 1.7 TC with me I can't say for 100% it might not have been just as good optically at an effective 630mm with it, but I suspect not. If I can get out tomorrow morning I plan to confirm that. But at the moment that used sub-$1000 Tamron has exceeded expectations and I'd recommend it if you're on a budget. Even if you're NOT on a budget for that matter.
Is that the F 1.7x AFA? I'll be curious how that performs given the fact it is screw drive and it is a quasi autofocus with limited range of focus (prefocus rough area and then it works). I like it for some uses but I wonder how fast it will be and what it will do to image quality in this scenario. Fascinating. I'm hoping to see some images also.

08-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that the F 1.7x AFA? I'll be curious how that performs given the fact it is screw drive and it is a quasi autofocus with limited range of focus (prefocus rough area and then it works). I like it for some uses but I wonder how fast it will be and what it will do to image quality in this scenario. Fascinating. I'm hoping to see some images also.
Sorry Brad, that's a slip o' the finger. I do have that TC but I meant the HD1.4. 450x1.4 is 630. My bad.
08-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Brad, that's a slip o' the finger. I do have that TC but I meant the HD1.4. 450x1.4 is 630. My bad.
Argh! I should have done the math anyway. That seems more like a fair comparison as the AF is still in the hands of the body and the TC only takes 1 stop. The 1.7x is a completely different beast and I would love to see it also but think that's a bit more of a wildcard.
08-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do have a question and hope someone knows the answer. Two times today with VC enabled on the Tamron 150-600 I encountered some chittering. Flipped it off and all is well. Both times I was shooting into water with the sun brightly glancing off. So is that normal or expected?

08-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I encountered some chittering.
What do you mean by chittering?

Ive pointed mine at the water many times and no back chattering! It just hangs there and does the job.
08-07-2022, 12:32 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What do you mean by chittering?

Ive pointed mine at the water many times and no back chattering! It just hangs there and does the job.
It wasn't simply pointing at water, but extreme reflection off it, and it was not the focus but the viewfinder. Thanks for indicating though that it's not something that should happen under any circumstances in your experience.
08-07-2022, 02:07 AM   #67
Pentaxian

It wasn't simply pointing at water, but extreme reflection off it, and it was not the focus but the viewfinder. Thanks for indicating though that it's not something that should happen under any circumstances in your experience.
I was confused at what you meant, anyway,I'll second getting the Tamron.It does a good job.

One thing to be careful of though is it doesn't work adapted to some of the newer M/L(its fine for any of the Dslrs).I'm led to believe it needs a firmware update that cant happen with the Tamron dock which is fine with GEN 2 Tamron.So it needs to go to a Tamron service centre.

So, how about posting some images from both cameras you are comparing here.We are into 5 pages plus the rogue one!

08-07-2022, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was confused at what you meant, anyway,I'll second getting the Tamron.It does a good job.

One thing to be careful of though is it doesn't work adapted to some of the newer M/L(its fine for any of the Dslrs).I'm led to believe it needs a firmware update that cant happen with the Tamron dock which is fine with GEN 2 Tamron.So it needs to go to a Tamron service centre.

So, how about posting some images from both cameras you are comparing here.We are into 5 pages plus the rogue one!
I did post images a couple pages back. Images from this set of lens, the 150-450 and 150-600, will get up sometime today. Doing a pork belly in the oven and ribs on the grill so I'm in and out some today, but yums galore planned this week.

Maybe a good time to use the two shorter lenses for the food, but the action won't need more than a slow burst.
08-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #69
Pentaxian

I did post images a couple pages back.
Yes, found them ,thanks.I did see them initially but forgot and I skimmed through and missed them.

Looking forward to the longer lenses.
08-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
With my daughter and son-in-law over I may not get to those photos tonight. They like to stay late. But before they got here I did capture a few photos with the K3III w/DFA150-450 at full zoom and then plus HD TC1.4 again at full zoom, so 630mm. Followed with the D500 plus Tamron 150-600 at 450mm and then again at 600mm. Both cameras were using Live. I think all were taken at F8 and at full open (I hope), and done on tripod with a 5 or 6 second timer shooting a focus target at 25 feet.

So I'll review those too and get them posted for comparison. I'm fairly certain the 450 with TC will not be an improvement over the Tamron at 600 but very curious how close it can get. That's one of the advantages of using a camera from Nikon or Canon. There are some fairly-priced 600mm lenses from 3rd parties like Tamron and Sigma. I don't think the 150-450 with TC will be a great substitute but I'd love to be surprised.
08-07-2022, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a good time to use the two shorter lenses for the food, but the action won't need more than a slow burst.
You've obviously not seen my family at the dinner table 🤣
08-08-2022, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

I don't think the 150-450 with TC
I think Kobie did some youTube stuff on that combo, you might want to consult him about his experiences.
08-09-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think Kobie did some youTube stuff on that combo, you might want to consult him about his experiences.
I'm aware of Kobies's findings. I've also done so using a different procedure which I'll be posting the results of.
08-19-2022, 03:38 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I love these comparisions.
08-19-2022, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I love these comparisions.
And I haven't forgotten this thread either.

Just been time-limited and distracted the past two weeks, but should have some time to break-free in the next few days.