Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Actually there is a difference between the 2 slots. Both slots will take UHS-I/UHS-II cards, but slot #2 will treat a UHS-II card as if it's a UHS-I and operate at the slower UHS-I speed. That's a hardware issue and Ricoh intentionally did it for some reason. I don't think that will affect the card's ability to store data other than to operate at a slower speed than would occur with the same card in slot #1. However, I seem to remember having an issue when I placed a 128GB UHS-II card in both slots. I'm currently using a 128GB UHS-II card in slot #1 and a 64GB UHS-I card in slot #2 and haven't had any problems since. That being said, I also haven't checked to see whether that problem was resolved by one of the recent firmware updates which I've installed.
The a7RIII is similar in that only one slot is uhs-II. That said I’ve not had any issues with any cards in any slots. The uhs-II slot is where I put my uhs-II card obviously.

08-10-2022, 07:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I just wasted an hour. I was shooting a bunch of frames with my new-to-me K3-III to compare results of various teleconverters.

When I try to download the files - they are not there! While I was shooting, I could turn off the camera, turn it back on, and view at least the last two frames. I didn't try to go any farther back, I guess, but I did review some 15 or 20 frames, two at a time, just after they were taken - both with and without turning off the camera. I could step forward, which actually cycled around to the first images on the card. When I stepped backwards, I got back to the most recent files. The camera frame numbers advanced as expected during the entire series.

Now I'm trying to figure out what happened. I just tried to take another picture (which had the expected frame number as if all the preceding images had been properly accounted for), and realized I was getting some message on the playback screen down in the lower right corner with "Manage Image" displayed to the right of a little black block that had AE-L in it. If I press the AE-L button, I then seem to get various options to do something to the image I just took. None of which are as simple/obvious as "save the image"!

I'm not sure if this message was displayed during my previous round of shooting or not.

When I took the SD card out of the camera after my set of shots, I did notice that the little write protect tab was part way down toward the protect position. If I test the camera with the protect tab all the way down, I do get a message about it. I did not see that during my TC test series.

So, what the heck did I do wrong? And, more importantly, what do I do to fix it? I would be perfectly happy to never see "Image management" again, and in retrospect, I think I got caught be this once before, and as memory would have it, I was playing with TCs at that time, too. I do not remember what, if anything I did to fix it them.
Manage Image is normal when in playback mode, you can either use the AE-L button or either touch the review screen to activate the manage image selections. what file type are you writing to the card jpg, DNG or NEF?
08-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Actually there is a difference between the 2 slots. Both slots will take UHS-I/UHS-II cards, but slot #2 will treat a UHS-II card as if it's a UHS-I and operate at the slower UHS-I speed. That's a hardware issue and Ricoh intentionally did it for some reason. I don't think that will affect the card's ability to store data other than to operate at a slower speed than would occur with the same card in slot #1. However, I seem to remember having an issue when I placed a 128GB UHS-II card in both slots. I'm currently using a 128GB UHS-II card in slot #1 and a 64GB UHS-I card in slot #2 and haven't had any problems since. That being said, I also haven't checked to see whether that problem was resolved by one of the recent firmware updates which I've installed.
I realize this but it should not affect what is written to the card, the firmware updates have not affected the slot #2 write speed. I think the write speed limitation is a hardware limitation not firmware.
08-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I realize this but it should not affect what is written to the card, the firmware updates have not affected the slot #2 write speed. I think the write speed limitation is a hardware limitation not firmware.
What I meant was that I'm not sure whether the firmware updates solved the problem that I had, which was related to some freezes. I'm well aware pf the fact that the speed difference is a consequence of the hardware used, as I mentioned.

08-10-2022, 08:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
This card has been used for every image I've taken with the K3-3, and all previous shooting sessions (many!) have evinced no such problems when starting up with the card in the camera.
Have you tried a different card?
08-10-2022, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder whether the data on the SD card might have become corrupt. Before doing anything else, I would try an app like Recuva to see whether any of the missing images are there - and bring them back if they are.
08-10-2022, 10:50 PM   #22
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem. What firmware version are you at?
Problem solved after an update.

Slot 2 and SD card compatibility - PentaxForums.com

08-11-2022, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers & suggestions

Looks like a different card, formatted in camera is what to try next. Although, I've never had a problem like this with any other Pentaxes before, and it's happened twice with this one.

Manage Image is normal when in playback mode, you can either use the AE-L button or either touch the review screen to activate the manage image selections. what file type are you writing to the card jpg, DNG or NEF?
Normallly in playback mode, I just look at the image, and perhaps zoom in and scroll around. That's all I was doing this time, too. I've never tried to "manage" an image. Just jpg

Have you tried a different card?
Not yet, but that and format are next on the list!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I wonder whether the data on the SD card might have become corrupt. Before doing anything else, I would try an app like Recuva to see whether any of the missing images are there - and bring them back if they are.
I'll do that, but I am not very optimistic.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
had a similar problem. What firmware version are you at?
Problem solved after an update.

Slot 2 and SD card compatibility - PentaxForums.com
Still on the original version that came with the camera 2 months ago (1.10 I think, but don't quote me) - I guess that's on the list to try, too!

---------- Post added 08-11-22 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
When you tried to, as you say, "download" the files, do you mean via cable from camera to computer, or via wifi or bluetooth, or did you remove the card from the camera and place the card in you computer, either via an available card slot, or a USB SD card adapter?
I took the card out and put it in the card reader I always use and like I always do. My latest images were not there. And, when I put the card back in the camera, they were still not there.