Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What did I do wrong with/to my K3-III ??!!?? "Manage Image"

I just wasted an hour. I was shooting a bunch of frames with my new-to-me K3-III to compare results of various teleconverters.

When I try to download the files - they are not there! While I was shooting, I could turn off the camera, turn it back on, and view at least the last two frames. I didn't try to go any farther back, I guess, but I did review some 15 or 20 frames, two at a time, just after they were taken - both with and without turning off the camera. I could step forward, which actually cycled around to the first images on the card. When I stepped backwards, I got back to the most recent files. The camera frame numbers advanced as expected during the entire series.

Now I'm trying to figure out what happened. I just tried to take another picture (which had the expected frame number as if all the preceding images had been properly accounted for), and realized I was getting some message on the playback screen down in the lower right corner with "Manage Image" displayed to the right of a little black block that had AE-L in it. If I press the AE-L button, I then seem to get various options to do something to the image I just took. None of which are as simple/obvious as "save the image"!

I'm not sure if this message was displayed during my previous round of shooting or not.

When I took the SD card out of the camera after my set of shots, I did notice that the little write protect tab was part way down toward the protect position. If I test the camera with the protect tab all the way down, I do get a message about it. I did not see that during my TC test series.

So, what the heck did I do wrong? And, more importantly, what do I do to fix it? I would be perfectly happy to never see "Image management" again, and in retrospect, I think I got caught be this once before, and as memory would have it, I was playing with TCs at that time, too. I do not remember what, if anything I did to fix it them.

08-10-2022, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be sure… only one sd card in the camera? You aren’t pulling out the wrong one right?
08-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Manage Image" is a normal function - see the manual, page 85.

Page copied here:
Attached Images

08-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to be sure… only one sd card in the camera?
Yes, indeed. Just one.

08-10-2022, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just to be sure… only one sd card in the camera? You aren’t pulling out the wrong one right?
I did exactly that a few weeks back. I had it saving to one card but actually it was the other. That did pretty much what the OP described. Confused the heck out of me for a couple of hours.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-10-2022 at 05:27 PM.
08-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I did exactly that a few weeks back. Confused the heck out of me for a couple of hours.
I speak from experience. Lol. My k-3 and my a7rIII both have two slots.
08-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Manage Image" is a normal function - see the manual, page 85.
Yeah, I found that page - but I interpret it as to what you can do with an image after it has already been saved/written to the SD card. It seems that mine were never saved, for some reason.

08-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Yeah, I found that page - but I interpret it as to what you can do with an image after it has already been saved/written to the SD card. It seems that mine were never saved, for some reason.
I was responding to this part of your first post:

Now I'm trying to figure out what happened. I just tried to take another picture (which had the expected frame number as if all the preceding images had been properly accounted for), and realized I was getting some message on the playback screen down in the lower right corner with "Manage Image" displayed to the right of a little black block that had AE-L in it. If I press the AE-L button, I then seem to get various options to do something to the image I just took. None of which are as simple/obvious as "save the image"!

I'm not sure if this message was displayed during my previous round of shooting or not.
The display saying "Manage Image" is normal behaviour. And yes, it is what you can do with an image after it has been saved. It sounds as if the camera "thinks" it's written the image to the card. No idea as to why the image is not actually on the card.
08-10-2022, 06:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I speak from experience. Lol. My k-3 and my a7rIII both have two slots.
The Mk III has two slots also the only difference is the "outside" slot is the number one slot and inside slot number two different from the K-3 Mk I and II.
08-10-2022, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you first format the card in camera?
08-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Did you first format the card in camera?
This card has been used for every image I've taken with the K3-3, and all previous shooting sessions (many!) have evinced no such problems when starting up with the card in the camera.
08-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest you format the card in camera and try again.
08-10-2022, 06:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you tried to, as you say, "download" the files, do you mean via cable from camera to computer, or via wifi or bluetooth, or did you remove the card from the camera and place the card in you computer, either via an available card slot, or a USB SD card adapter?
If either of the last two, perhaps look at downloading an SD Card recovery program to see if you can recover the programs.
08-10-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This card has been used for every image I've taken with the K3-3, and all previous shooting sessions (many!) have evinced no such problems when starting up with the card in the camera.
That's great and all but doesn't answer the question.
The only reason I asked is that I had a card that had no issues for quite a while until it did. It was then that I remembered I had used that card in an older Pentax body and never formated it before sticking it into the newer body
(K200d and K-30).
After formatting the card, never had an issue, ever.
08-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The Mk III has two slots also the only difference is the "outside" slot is the number one slot and inside slot number two different from the K-3 Mk I and II.
Actually there is a difference between the 2 slots. Both slots will take UHS-I/UHS-II cards, but slot #2 will treat a UHS-II card as if it's a UHS-I and operate at the slower UHS-I speed. That's a hardware issue and Ricoh intentionally did it for some reason. I don't think that will affect the card's ability to store data other than to operate at a slower speed than would occur with the same card in slot #1. However, I seem to remember having an issue when I placed a 128GB UHS-II card in both slots. I'm currently using a 128GB UHS-II card in slot #1 and a 64GB UHS-I card in slot #2 and haven't had any problems since. That being said, I also haven't checked to see whether that problem was resolved by one of the recent firmware updates which I've installed.